Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How many times have you been bitten?

Go down 
+11
crystalsbirdtoys
idlepirate
dusty
hannahbird
Margaret
patdbunny
VickiNumbers
moa
ScooterNScotty
henpecked
zazanomore
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 11:53 pm

moa wrote:
VickiNumbers wrote:

Let it be known that today I had my first close encounter with the beak with an Amazon! Please note that I did NOT say she bit me! LOL! She was on my arm and I was moving to put her back in her cage and she slipped. My other hand was the closest thing for her to grab onto, so she did. And apparently she was really scared, cause she grabbed really hard. I bled a really lot. (Left drops on the way back to the bathroom if that tells you anything. I was irritated, I had to mop again.) Then the stupid breeder Nanday's got me when I was cleaning their cage. They made me bleed too. (Those were BITES). Something else got me this weekend too because I have a wound that I can't account for - but I really just don't remember.

all these bites and I'm still insanely jealous of your job!
Me too, me too! Wink
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 2:54 am

Margaret wrote:
moa wrote:
VickiNumbers wrote:

Let it be known that today I had my first close encounter with the beak with an Amazon! Please note that I did NOT say she bit me! LOL! She was on my arm and I was moving to put her back in her cage and she slipped. My other hand was the closest thing for her to grab onto, so she did. And apparently she was really scared, cause she grabbed really hard. I bled a really lot. (Left drops on the way back to the bathroom if that tells you anything. I was irritated, I had to mop again.) Then the stupid breeder Nanday's got me when I was cleaning their cage. They made me bleed too. (Those were BITES). Something else got me this weekend too because I have a wound that I can't account for - but I really just don't remember.

all these bites and I'm still insanely jealous of your job!
Me too, me too! Wink
All those bites, I'm making minimum wage, I'm scraping 50'ish cages of bird poo (Yep. I counted.), cleaning and filling all those food and water dishes, and I'm still insanely HAPPY at my job!! I'm so happy that half the time I'm there I'm not even getting paid - and I stay and find more stuff to do ANYWAY! It's WAY better than being a nurse.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 3:41 am

Vicki, I SO want a part time job at a bird store. BUT, I have to get a REAL job with the education that I paid for tongue
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 3:53 am

GlassOnion wrote:
Vicki, I SO want a part time job at a bird store. BUT, I have to get a REAL job with the education that I paid for tongue
Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to as well ... but I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this as long as I can!!!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Dude. . .
I PAY to get attacked and the crap bitten out of me. How wrong is that?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

My Birds : Lorenzo - Blue Throat Conure

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 1:21 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Hey Idlepirate, maybe you should start a separate thread on Lorenzo's biting. I've gotten a lot of useful input with Scooter. At least Scooter goes through periods of remission!

Hey thanks:) ya i tried posting about his problems before but they are so complicated people aren't sure where to start. I did try all sorts of things without clipping him but there's been no improvement.----probably even more issues lol.
so ya he's just a little brat forever probably. i might post a rant about him soon (it does help to get it out). Been reading yours about scooter and we both have very similar problems. It could just be a conure thing! they are extremely difficult sometimes. Even the last conure I had gave me so many problems.
I completely relate to you with the "showing authority" thing and how to be stict enough and in control without hurting them physically.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bluethroatconure?feature=mhee
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Idlepirate - how old was Loro when you got him and how was he raised? Was he socialized well as a baby?
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Damn Macaw.

How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 B3ee5ef7
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 4:15 pm

^Zoikies!!!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 4:41 pm

affraid Nasty!
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Owww, that hurts just to look at!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 5:24 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:
Damn Macaw.

How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 B3ee5ef7
Okay, that's an acceptable bite.
You're in the club now.
Roz
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 10:39 pm

haha - I'm glad you approve Roz!

It doesn't show up in the picture, but there's a roughly 1/4" square (.75 cm square for all you non-inch people) of skin missing from my finger. He just kind of sliced it and left it hanging. I decided rather than wait for it to die and fall off - catching on everything and it's mother in the meantime, I'd just suck it up and cut it off now. That hurt almost as much as the initial bite did. Anyway, it's all over now except for the healing.

I CAN say that waiting to be bitten by one of those damn birds was FAR worse than the actual experience. I also know that there are FAR worse bites. This was from a mean Catalina though, so I'm easier able to tell myself that I have a pretty realistic expectation of what to expect from a macaw.

Now. Cockatoos. tragedy
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 10:52 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:

It doesn't show up in the picture, but there's a roughly 1/4" square (.75 cm square for all you non-inch people) of skin missing from my finger. He just kind of sliced it and left it hanging. I decided rather than wait for it to die and fall off - catching on everything and it's mother in the meantime, I'd just suck it up and cut it off now. That hurt almost as much as the initial bite did. Anyway, it's all over now except for the healing.

I CAN say that waiting to be bitten by one of those damn birds was FAR worse than the actual experience. I also know that there are FAR worse bites. This was from a mean Catalina though, so I'm easier able to tell myself that I have a pretty realistic expectation of what to expect from a macaw.

Now. Cockatoos. tragedy
Those nasty looking bites usually don't hurt too bad right when they happen as they're pretty fast and clean. Your pain receptors don't even have a chance to register at the moment. But the throbbing pain after - OY!

Hey - on those dangling bits, if you just bandaid it against the flesh the blood supply a lot of times will just graft onto the dangley piece and heal up completely.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 10:56 pm

patdbunny wrote:
VickiNumbers wrote:

Now. Cockatoos. tragedy
Those nasty looking bites usually don't hurt too bad right when they happen as they're pretty fast and clean. Your pain receptors don't even have a chance to register at the moment. But the throbbing pain after - OY!

Hey - on those dangling bits, if you just bandaid it against the flesh the blood supply a lot of times will just graft onto the dangley piece and heal up completely.
EEEUUUURRRGGGHHHH
You two just HAD to be all descriptive... eeeoooowwww..... eewww...... ugh.... I've gotta go crawl into bed and shudder for a while now.... Hiding Scared
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:47 pm

patdbunny wrote:

Tell me about it! Right after the bite I was walking to the back with Jen, casually asking her what I should do next time, did she have a band-aid, blah blah blah... I went to put it under water to rinse it off and BAM! HOLY SH!.TAKE MUSHROOMS! That's when the water hit the exposed nerves and my entire finger started throbbing.

patdbunny wrote:
Apparently we weren't twins separated at birth. Despite the fact that my education and knowledge tells me that what you say it true, my experience with my OWN tells me otherwise. (Only with my own skin though, it works on everyone else.) Apparently MY dermal layers never read the manual. Stupid skin. I've tried bandaids, glue and duct-tape - I've even tried all three at once. I still ended up cutting it off. Now I just cut to the chase - so to speak! Roz

evil chicken wrote:
EEEUUUURRRGGGHHHH
You two just HAD to be all descriptive... eeeoooowwww..... eewww...... ugh.... I've gotta go crawl into bed and shudder for a while now....
When I first read this I thought it was Zaza who had written it. I was going to tell her Sorry !!!

Now I see it's EC... To you I say,
moa WHATEVER!
GET OVER IT!
With YOUR mom, how on earth can you be squeamish? LOL!

Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 12:04 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
patdbunny wrote:

Tell me about it! Right after the bite I was walking to the back with Jen, casually asking her what I should do next time, did she have a band-aid, blah blah blah... I went to put it under water to rinse it off and BAM! HOLY SH!.TAKE MUSHROOMS! That's when the water hit the exposed nerves and my entire finger started throbbing.

patdbunny wrote:
Apparently we weren't twins separated at birth. Despite the fact that my education and knowledge tells me that what you say it true, my experience with my OWN tells me otherwise. (Only with my own skin though, it works on everyone else.) Apparently MY dermal layers never read the manual. Stupid skin. I've tried bandaids, glue and duct-tape - I've even tried all three at once. I still ended up cutting it off. Now I just cut to the chase - so to speak! Roz

evil chicken wrote:
EEEUUUURRRGGGHHHH
You two just HAD to be all descriptive... eeeoooowwww..... eewww...... ugh.... I've gotta go crawl into bed and shudder for a while now....
When I first read this I thought it was Zaza who had written it. I was going to tell her Sorry !!!

Now I see it's EC... To you I say,
moa WHATEVER!
GET OVER IT!
With YOUR mom, how on earth can you be squeamish? LOL!

Roz You are so right, with my mom I shouldn't be! It doesn't so much gross me out as I imagine the stinging and throbbing pain. Yeowch!!!
Back to top Go down
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

My Birds : Lorenzo - Blue Throat Conure

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 5:59 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Idlepirate - how old was Loro when you got him and how was he raised? Was he socialized well as a baby?

I bought loro off a breeder just as he was ready. What's that called....emmm fulled weaned?
Not 100% anymore but I guess he was around 2months old?
The breeders were an old couple, they're breeding all sorts of birds and he was in a cage with 3 of his siblings.
He was ok I guess there, but something went wrong while he was with me. I spoilt him too much, let him have all the freedom he wanted.
I guess I should post a fully detailed thing again about his issues? hope i wont annoy anyone having to listen to the same crap over and over hehehe. but maybe there will be new advice who knows:)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bluethroatconure?feature=mhee
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey, they've heard me go on about Scooter over and over, and there is always a different nuance to the advice and to my discussion. I'd say go for it.

Back to bites. I got to use my part of my Christmas present yesterday. In this case it was my fault for trying to scritch a wound up bird. Once I told him no, shook him off, and stashed him back in his cage, I had a full two or three minutes, possibly even longer to reflect that Scooter bites so fricking hard that not only is the pain sort of delayed reaction after the initial pinch, but it takes several minutes for the bites to start bleeding because he has almost sealed the blood vessels off! Once they get started, though, the bleed pretty well and the throbbing as the nerves start to recover is fun, too. Sigh. I don't even want to think about a macaw bite!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 8:20 pm

haha, speaking of that macaw bite, I was finally able to make myself debride the wound I have from that bite. Suffice it to say it hurt. A lot. I might even go so far as to say that today hurt as much as the actual bite did. (I was nauseated for almost an hour afterwords.) Try to avoid being bit like that if you have skin that is slow to heal. It's really not worth it!
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 8:24 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Hey, they've heard me go on about Scooter over and over, and there is always a different nuance to the advice and to my discussion. I'd say go for it.

Back to bites. I got to use my part of my Christmas present yesterday. In this case it was my fault for trying to scritch a wound up bird. Once I told him no, shook him off, and stashed him back in his cage, I had a full two or three minutes, possibly even longer to reflect that Scooter bites so fricking hard that not only is the pain sort of delayed reaction after the initial pinch, but it takes several minutes for the bites to start bleeding because he has almost sealed the blood vessels off! Once they get started, though, the bleed pretty well and the throbbing as the nerves start to recover is fun, too. Sigh. I don't even want to think about a macaw bite!

VickiNumbers wrote:
haha, speaking of that macaw bite, I was finally able to make myself debride the wound I have from that bite. Suffice it to say it hurt. A lot. I might even go so far as to say that today hurt as much as the actual bite did. (I was nauseated for almost an hour afterwords.) Try to avoid being bit like that if you have skin that is slow to heal. It's really not worth it!
Am I allowed to shudder now? Hiding
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 8:28 pm

evil chicken wrote:
I suppose you can shudder whenever you want to. Rolling Eyes But why? It's not like anybody gave you any detail about gore or anything! LOL! I didn't show you any pictures, even though I THOUGHT about it! But I guess... you go right ahead and affraid , or Hiding if it helps you cope. We understand that some people just don't have a strong constitution. We love you anyway EC. I love you

Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 8:32 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:
evil chicken wrote:
I suppose you can shudder whenever you want to. Rolling Eyes But why? It's not like anybody gave you any detail about gore or anything! LOL! I didn't show you any pictures, even though I THOUGHT about it! But I guess... you go right ahead and affraid , or Hiding if it helps you cope. We understand that some people just don't have a strong constitution. We love you anyway EC. I love you

I have the active imagination to supplement to lack of photos and details... Yeesh...

I never realized how squeamish I was until taking CERT and reading about the macaw ripping chunks off you, lol. Rolling Eyes (the Rolling Eyes is at myself)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many times have you been bitten?   How many times have you been bitten? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How many times have you been bitten?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2