Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow Empty
PostSubject: Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow   Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 10:44 am

Need very simple ideas on how to make Sparrow a fleece sleep sleeve/sack. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow   Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 3:26 pm

I got the Betta Bed for Scooter from MyBirdSafeStore, although I haven't installed it yet. It looks as if it would be very easy to DIY and quite a safe design. It's basically a section of PVC pipe with holes drilled for mounting hardware (but you could just as easily sew tapes on the fleece, and you could probably use a segment of cardboard mailing tube instead of the PVC). The fleece is basically one big square with about 4" long fringes cut on both sides, sewn into a tube the diameter of the pipe, folded in half so half the material goes thorough the inside of the tube and half is outside, then the fringes are knotted together. Very simple, and you can undo the knots to wash the fleece.

It's a safer design than the typical tents, I think, but Scooter is so fond of his tent I cant bring myself to remove it.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow   Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 1:21 am

Take an old sweatshirt, cut off the sleeves. Put one inside the other and slide a piece of cardboard in between them (about two inches wide). Sew the ends of the sleeves together so they're closed and the cardboard is inside, then do a few stitches down the sides of the cardboard to keep it from moving around in the tent. Use a hole punch (or something sharp) to punch two holes in the top and put your quick-links/pear-links through the holes and hang it up.

It ain't pretty, but it's a tent, and it's cheap. Or you could do what I did for Posei and just hang a piece of fabric over the bars at the top of the cage and put a perch inside it. Smile That's a tent too! Kind of like what my sister and I used to make when we were kids!

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow   Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Just be careful with any textile to inspect regularly for wear. There are people out there who are convinced sleep tents are a deadly menace. I think that's overstating the fact, but once nice thing about polarfleece, as opposed to sweatshirt fleece or woven material is that it has no tendency to fray into strings, so it's less likely to cause a problem.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow   Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 1:01 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Just be careful with any textile to inspect regularly for wear. There are people out there who are convinced sleep tents are a deadly menace. I think that's overstating the fact, but once nice thing about polarfleece, as opposed to sweatshirt fleece or woven material is that it has no tendency to fray into strings, so it's less likely to cause a problem.

Thank you for saying polarfleece!

I couldn't remember what it was called! That's what Allie's tent is made of - and what would be better to use if you have a shirt of it that you don't mind cutting up. (It's also what I used for Posei's tent.)

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow   Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow Empty

Back to top Go down

Fleece Sleep Sack for Sparrow
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Housing :: Toys, Accessories & DIY-
Jump to: