Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dropping like.... birds??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

Dropping like.... birds?? Empty
PostSubject: Dropping like.... birds??   Dropping like.... birds?? EmptySun May 22, 2011 1:49 am

So after getting a few recommendations, I put some perches towards the bottom of the cage for my baby in the event that he falls. Now that I've had a few days to spend with him I think his coordination is better than I originally thought. He can climb reasonably well and, even being clipped, flies from his table perch (which is low and on a coffee table) towards the back door (he's discovered a love for sitting out in the sun!) and makes it a few feet before landing and sliding.

The day after I got him I found him on the floor of his cage in the morning and thought he had climbed down to the floor for some reason. For the past two nights, though, I've put him to bed and we'll be up watching a movie in the same room and I've actually seen him be sleeping (or close to it, all puffed up with his head turned around) and literally just lose balance and fall to the floor of the cage. I've run over and picked him up afterwards both times and he seems to be fine, if not just grumpy from being woken up.

What the best thing I should do about this, if anything? I can't lower ALL the perches because then he wouldn't have access to his food dishes unless I put them on the ground. Pad the bottom of the cage? Other than the two I've seen I have no idea how many times he may have fallen at night, but he seems to be none the worse for wear. I don't have a problem if this just needs to be a pick-yourself-up-and-brush-yourself-off experience, I'm just worried he's going to hurt himself. Any ideas appreciated!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Dropping like.... birds?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropping like.... birds??   Dropping like.... birds?? EmptySun May 22, 2011 1:56 am

Cheney Bird did this for the first few nights that I had him. He would fall asleep on the perch and end up leaning too far back and falling to the bottom of the cage. Weird bird.

That said, I made him a hammock out of old pants legs. I just cut across and tied it to the cage with rope. There's no threads, but if you were particularly worried, you could hem the edges. I also moved the perch back closer to the back of the cage so he ends up leaning against it. But normally he sleeps on top of or in the hammock.

I'm not sure how an electus would do with something like that. I would probably just put a towel in the bottom of the cage at bed time to cushion his landing if he falls. Because he's so young, he'll probably grow out of it.
Back to top Go down

Dropping like.... birds??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: General Care & Information-
Jump to: