Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow

Go down 
+8
o'TikaandAurora
RogerP
VickiNumbers
zazanomore
henpecked
hannahbird
ScooterNScotty
GlassOnion
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow Empty
PostSubject: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Apple screams every morning for about an hour or two straight, FRANTICALLY to communicate with the crows outside. Everytime he hears a crow, he'll scream like crazy. We're talking 2 screams per second frequency for god knows how long. He does the SAME thing when I take him outside on a harness. Just won't stop contact calling to the outside birds. It's driving me absolutely bats. I want to rip my hair out!

Besides sound proofing the house and never taking Apple outside, what are my other options? Sad
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Ear plugs? Noise cancelling headphones? Seriously, it's a natural behavior, I don't see any way to stop it unless you can induce the crows to move away. You have no more control over his vocalizations than you do the crows.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Earplugs would be fine for ME, but when we move into a small apartment in the near future, I HIGHLY doubt the neighbours will be okay with that.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Is he doing this in desperation for a friend? confused
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 pm

IMO, he's doing it because contact calling is a natural behavior, almost hardwired. Scooter invariably returns the "contact calls" of the microwave, washing machine and dishwasher. Since those don't return the return, it doesn't become a long-playing cycle, but it seems to me to be an instinctive thing to return any call that is heard that might conceivably be a friendly.

Let's see what others have to say, but I'm guessing unless you can limit the stimulus, he's going to keep returning the calls. A decently constructed apartment should limit the sound travel, he's a 'tiel, not a 'too, I doubt it's really that loud, it's just weighing on you I suspect.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 5:17 pm

I don't know... he's actually pretty loud for a Cockatiel.. I can hear him outside on the road with all the windows/doors closed. suspect

The thing is, Spice doesn't do this. She's fine with all the outdoor bird sounds and won't incessantly cry to communicate. Apple's desperate for contact.
Back to top Go down
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Maybe he needs a buddy?
Zada only contact calls to me and Patrick. She ignores the outside birds completely.
Sorry Im not much help!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:21 pm

I suppose a buddy might help, but we all know that buddies don't always work out...
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Shoot at the crows, they'll take a different route in the future. Somebody need something momma 's not giving him.He knows there's a girl for him out there somewhere.He's just calling to her.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:51 pm

Poor little Apple.

What I would probably do is ignore the screaming, or try to engage him in some scitches or cuddles.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 12:35 am

So does he need a buddy...? :S

Tomorrow, I'm going to take him away and into the shower before the scream-fest starts. *shudder(
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 12:48 am

Would playing music cover the sound of the crows? I don't know how loud they are, but I played classical to my birds on New Years to cover the pops and sounds of the fireworks and it seemed to help.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 1:29 am

Gonna try music, thanks Thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 2:53 am

I go through this regularly with Merlin if he gets left in his cage and I leave the room. But even worse is if he happens to be within earshot of the television for a seaside scene. The sound of seagulls sets him off like you would not believe! It's like he has to outscream them (the whole flock, not just one gull)!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 10:20 am

My male tiel could shatter glass when he got going. I always cringe when people call tiels quiet.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 4:13 pm

I swear them males just work up their pipes until they reach the pinnacle of shrill and piercing.
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 11:13 pm

Luckily our male Tiel doesn't scream all that loud, he just sings to his own reflecion in the window Rolling Eyes A buddy may not help, Chicken call to his mate Mali, she refuses to come (poor boy is more in love with her than she is with him) and Chicky ends up screaming for her frantically.
I doubt you can stop the contact calling, our GCCs do it as soon as they hear us pull in the drive way, OH yells at them to stop, which ends in a screaming match between him and Rory as we walk up the hallway Rolling Eyes He doesn't get it.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 12:33 am

Male tiels are NOT quiet. Although I'm not sure about the "screaming" being normal. My solo untame male sings most of the day (that two-tone tiel whistle), but doesn't "scream" and he's outside so he has a lot of opportunity to contact call the wild birds.

Sam and Eric don't "scream" either. They live together with Ducky so there is a lot of companionship there. Sam was a solo pet tiel for several years before Ducky and Eric came into the picture. He wasn't much of a screamer then either.

So Apple screams even when Spice is harassing (interacting with) him?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 4:15 am

Apple is not an attention screamer, and no he doesn't scream when Spice *plays* with him. I absolutely LOL'ed about your two-tone whistle comment, it's SO true!

He just screams when he hears outside birds. He wants to be with them, it gets clearer every time he'll fly towards the window when a wild bird chirps very closely.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 6:15 am

What can I say: Chico is a perfect crying machine; wee-weeng, when she is in aviary to let her out, but it's like real crying.
She is making that quiet mix-sound, when she watches zaza's Einstein online Very Happy

Mickey (so far) is just we-wee contact calling and we try to teach her like Chico before, nicer "melody". She'll get that with time.

But it's not that loud, although I can hear it from my parking space, when window is open in season.

One time I remember, we walk my bf's dog in the evening and pass by our window and it was so not-normal quiet, so I make the wee-e-wee whistle, and respond was faster than we expected, that makes us laugh.

But Lucky contact call, waking up call, missing his "amore" (my bf) call IS LOUD!
Fortunately, he is not going non-stop, couple minutes, usually 2-3 times a day.

Maybe Apple needs a cute female Cockatiel Wink
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 6:52 am

I don't know if adding another will help.I have a whole flight full of Tiels and they "sing" most of the day. They wake before the roosters,LOL, As a whole they make more noise than all of the rest of the birds. The males are the singers and try to out do each other. Of course they mimic to Red Shoulder Hawk,Blue Jay,Mocking Bird and the Cactus Wren. Why they don't scream like an OWA beats me.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 7:17 am

I'm more sure I have 2 females!

henpecked wrote:
Why they don't scream like an OWA beats me.
Good one Roz
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 1:06 pm

henpecked wrote:
I don't know if adding another will help.I have a whole flight full of Tiels and they "sing" most of the day. They wake before the roosters,LOL, As a whole they make more noise than all of the rest of the birds. The males are the singers and try to out do each other. Of course they mimic to Red Shoulder Hawk,Blue Jay,Mocking Bird and the Cactus Wren. Why they don't scream like an OWA beats me.
Thumbs-up
Yeah, I think this is just something you have to live with. This is just what they "are".

Take him out and about a lot more (like minimum twice a week for several months) and he might be too tired/enriched to do any screaming.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 12:42 pm

...or you could shoot the crows. Lyzgrace
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:
...or you could shoot the crows. I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow 4272674515
LOL. Something tells me the crows are safe driving GO nuts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow   I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow Empty

Back to top Go down

I want to pull my hair out unless I can mute Apple somehow
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next