Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pinatas - question

Go down 
+4
ScooterNScotty
o'TikaandAurora
GlassOnion
Margaret
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 7:16 am

Do you think that pinatas for humans will be safe for fids?
(ingredients used, glue, etc.)
I would love to buy big pinata, to last for at least a week and make all of them shreading. Lucky likes paper too, and is fast shredder Singing
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 8:42 am

Um...... I don't know to be honest.. But beating up a pinata does seem to be a lot of fun Smile
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 9:19 am

I made little fist sized piƱatas for our GCCs, they loved them! I just used flour and water to stick it together and plain white paper. Filled it with buttons, seeds, pellets, covered with strips of paper all snipped up ... it didn't last long, but atleast they liked it!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 2:20 pm

I wouldn't be secure it was safe unless I could talk to the manufacturer and find out exactly what went into it -- both the glue and the contents. Plus even if it's flour based glue, it could harbor bacteria... I think I'd not go there.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 3:52 pm

I think the idea of making your own is terrific! Would papier mache-ing over an inflatable beach ball cause any problems? For instance would the coloring or anything harmful from the plastic leech into the paper? Because if it didn't, you could make a very large pinata with a beach ball Smile
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 3:49 pm

I would do it yourself as per PP with water and flour for safety - and use plain newspaper paper (i.e. you can get it at Ikea or I assume craft stores - usually sold in rolls for kids to draw on).

If you made it over a Plain Box (i.e. use one of the boxes you get your orders in), then no worries about a balloon...it would just be a square Pinata Pinatas - question 2643855592
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:44 pm

In a humid climate, I would actually worry that the flour and water might wind up culturing mold and bacteria. I wonder if it can be cooked at low temp or include something to sterilize it. It's a bit like leaving food out for a long period. I think my inclination would be to use some sort of physical connection mechanism rather than "glue". Or use a nontoxic commercial product that won't grow nasties. This is one of those cases where I think the desire to DIY with natural/organic materials may be riskier than using a commercial product with preservatives/disinfectants.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:42 am

Hm, the reason I asked in the first place about pinatas, because I was wondering if pet toys producers are using safe for birds ingredients. Now I love the o'TikaandAurora's idea and have to try one day! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 2:15 pm

If you don't want to paper mache (moisture possibly growing bacteria), you can use white child safe glue or paste. Many a paste eating kid has made it into adulthood.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 2:40 pm

pet pinatas are safe, most mfrs use flour paste but if you are worried you can contact them and ask for specs on the product. If they have none, then just buy elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
Sponsored content

Pinatas - question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinatas - question   Pinatas - question Empty

Back to top Go down

Pinatas - question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Housing :: Toys, Accessories & DIY-
Jump to: