HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coral
Sun Conure

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:57 pm

im just curious on how often you guys clean and disinfect your birds cage. i change papers everyday or every other day depending on the mess and i disinfect about once a week
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Yeah ... that ... more or less...

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever, for what you have tamed."
~Antoine de Saint Exupery

....... ~*~ Vicki ~*~
.... Allie.... Sam.... Caesar
...... Mack...... Micky

http://BunchesOfBudgies.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm not as good as I should be. I change papers once or twice daily and I try to do a 1-wipe-per-cage cleanup every morning. I'll wipe the cages down thoroughly about once a week and take out and scrub anything that can't be adequately wiped. It's more like quarterly that I take the whole thing apart and either take it outside and hose or steam clean. I don't disinfect unless I'm doing the full up hose or steam treatment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Not as much as I would like lately. Change paper every other day and a good wipe down/rotate things once a week. I've only totally broken the cages apart a couple times this winter. The rest of the year when it is warmer I do it far more.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:21 am

what id like to know is those of you with huge flocks, how do you keep up with all the mess?! i have trouble keeping up with the birds at school Shocked we have a quaker parrot, red rumped parakeet, maxamillion pionus, 6 budgies, a ring neck dove, 4 australian grass parakeets, 4 canaries but 2 per cage, and 8 finches 4 per cage. and oh my goodness it takes me foreverrrr to take care of all these birds lol!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:45 am

At the store: Paper gets changed every day, wipe down the trays that are especially dirty, scrape the grates and wipe them down daily/every other day. Every day 1-3 cages gets a "deep" clean. It's not a take-down, but it's a thorough wipe-down, top to bottom, inside and out.

At home with the budgies, I change the paper every day or two, spray and wipe down the tray as needed, and when it's necessary I just throw the cage (birds and all) in the shower. Smile So far they haven't seemed to mind! With the big cages I change the paper every day or two (or three or four or five - depending on whose cage it is... Allie's hardly ever gets changed anymore), wipe down the grate as needed, and do a take-down a couple of times a year when it's warm enough outside that the water isn't frozen in the hose, I wont become hyperthermic, and the water wont freeze on the driveway causing me to slip and break my ankle while I'm rinsing.

Does that help?

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever, for what you have tamed."
~Antoine de Saint Exupery

....... ~*~ Vicki ~*~
.... Allie.... Sam.... Caesar
...... Mack...... Micky

http://BunchesOfBudgies.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 am

Most of mine are outside so I hose and scrub about every other day, generally.

The indoor ones I use a bucket of water and a scrubby pad. I guess the indoor aviary doesn't really get "scrubbed". That gets swept out and shop vac'd. Perches changed out if soiled or chewed up.

I generally don't "disinfect" cages. I suppose the outdoor cages are UV sterilized just being out there. I'll bleach out bowls and bottles regularly. I'll also bleach out baby containers and supplies regularly. My family complains about the smell of bleach.

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:56 pm

what do you guys use to clean it? a special cleaning solution? bleach and water? i just use soap and water and im curious if i should be using something else
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Cages, generally, I'm using plain water. Or Vikki's suggestion of water, baking soda and lemon works nicely and smells nice, too. Soap and water should be fine. You just need to make sure to rinse all residue w/ plain water. That's an extra, time consuming thing.

For actual disinfecting I use a bleach and water solution. If you use a bleach solution you need to let everything dry thoroughly before the birds come in contact with it. I have multiple sets of baby tubs and supplies so one set dries and I use another set.

Before I was breeding birds and I only had pets, I'd haul all the cages outside about once a week - hose and scrub.

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:29 pm

We used to do the sunday cage cleaning thing, now it seems that a cage or two every day works better. A lot of cages is a lot to look forward to and a couple a day is just routine. Of course I'm speaking for Josie who does the lion;s share of the work.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:54 pm

If I'm hauling them outside I use soap and water. Inside for a deep clean, I use the steam cleaner. For routine wipedowns, I use Poop-off wipes. For disinfecting I use a commercial cage/kennel disinfectant or bleach solution.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:20 pm

coral wrote:
what id like to know is those of you with huge flocks, how do you keep up with all the mess?!

To be absolutely honest, when they used to have their own room and their cages it was always messy everywhere. It didn't matter how often I was cleaning. To socialize with birds I took them to living room during they, I mean they used to fly back and forward and mess was everywhere.

Since they gone to that "inside aviary" it's a way better. They still can fly out, when they want. But they don't mess that much like before everywhere. Cleaning without cages is fast. I just have to change that contraction paper in the aviary. With newspaper it's too big area and we was "dancing" couple times on it.

Besides changing paper, it's every day routine: dishes, area when they eat, checking toys. I vacuum mostly every day. Aha, end I wipe the net wire so-so once a weak, and during some movie I take all the feathers stuck there (vacum is not good for it).

That way, apartment is more clean and I have my bedroom back. Actually I don't have the bedroom again, but that's the secret right now why Wink
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:23 pm

A secret, a secret!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Why?!
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:37 pm

Ha, ha for a while only it have to be a secret Wink
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21 am

Most of the Zons waste in 1 spot inside their cage. They will stop what they are doing and go waste there..the cruisers have the same MO. They hang their tails off and go in one place..it is now easier since cleaning and wiping THAT spot or changing that paper is much faster than a major scrub down. The Aviary is a hose job since there are no trays in there. I use "Poop Off" on the waste spots and anywhere I need soap and water I use the "Seventh Generation" dish soap since it is non-toxic and rinse well. Breakdowns are a bathing suit day since I have poor timing with the water hose and wind direction Smile
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 pm

lol whats the secret?! are you quarentining a new bird?! i wanna knowwww! i cant imagine what it would be like to break down so many cages i had trouble putting together mikkos cage i wonder how hard it will be to take it apart and put it back together will be? ill try the baking soda and lemon juice thingy works! do the poop off products work good? cuz theres a solution and scrub brush/ wipes forsale at the bird store by my house
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:24 pm

Poop off is pretty effective both with poop and dried fruit goo. I actually like the wipes, although it's probably not the most economical choice. The texture is pretty durable and you can get quite a bit of mileage out of a wipe.

I don't break down the cages completely, just what's necessary to get them out the door. I do take all the accessories out. Water pressure gets into the crevices pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Our birds are done differently. I guess because they are big birds its not the same. It takes me a good half hour just to dump one tray, LOL. We usually clean our house bird cages every Saturday, change papers and scrap and wash where needed. At the rescue its done a lot more often because there are more people helping there. When its nice outside we try to hose down as many of the cages as possible.

We don't disinfect unless there is a sick bird or if one has the runs and could spread illness. (At which point we scrub the cage and move the bird to quarantine)

http://www.voliveri.com
coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:16 am

ill have to try poop off to and vikki i guess the bigger the bird the bigger the mess right? we have to clean the cages at school throughly more often to and not just the birds we have to clean all the animals lol but then we get to play with them so its okay. how many birds are at your rescue and how many do you adopt out each month? im just curious, i wanted to get involved in the bird rescue around here but its like an hour and a half away
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:57 am

We have about 160 birds at the rescue and we adopt out 2 or 3 a month in a good month. Some months we don't adopt out any and we take surrenders more often than not so it all averages out.

http://www.voliveri.com
coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:28 pm

when im older can i come down to your rescue and adopt a bird?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?   

Back to top Go down

how often do you clean/disinfect your birds cage?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: General Care & Information-
Jump to: