Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Degree of biteyness

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nevermore
Cockatiel

My Birds : Captain Jack Parrot: Green-cheeked Conure

Cheeky/Sir Cheeks - Cockatiel

Degree of biteyness  Empty
PostSubject: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:57 am

So. Out of everyones experience here. What would you say is the most notoriously nippy species, and which is the least? Ignoring the obvious individual differences between birds.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 12:01 pm

This is going to sound weird, but I'd say my budgies are much more nippy than my conure is. Every time I touch them, they bite. Even if my hand comes near them, they're trying to bite. Cheney Bird only bites when I'm doing something that he doesn't like or if he's sitting with me and he sees the phone.

I've found that the smaller the bird, the more likely they are to nip than the bigger ones. I think the smaller ones know it's their only reliable defense mechanism since we're so much bigger than they are.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 12:18 pm

K has the right of it. The smaller the bird, the nippier. It's a defense mecahnism.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
Nevermore
Cockatiel

My Birds : Captain Jack Parrot: Green-cheeked Conure

Cheeky/Sir Cheeks - Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Sounds like dogs. lol.

I believe you though. My sister-in-law has a budgie that is down right vicious sometimes, AND she can deliver a worse bite than either of her cockatiels.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 2:18 pm

My lovebird. She bites. Hard. A lot. She will run up my shoulder and chomp my cheek. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
My lovebird. She bites. Hard. A lot. She will run up my shoulder and chomp my cheek. Rolling Eyes

Cheney Bird lunges at my face if he's near me while I'm on the phone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 2:22 pm

I think she does it because she is mentally unstable. Girlfriend often seems to act like this- wee
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
I think she does it because she is mentally unstable. Girlfriend often seems to act like this- wee

LOL. I still want a lovebird, but the crazy factor makes me not so sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 2:29 pm

If it helps, she is absolutely worth ever chomp, even the ones on my boobies. I think this is her particular problem because she was left in a cage for 3 years in 4 different homes. You can tell she wants to be a friendly and social bird, some of her marbles just ain't there anymore.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
If it helps, she is absolutely worth ever chomp, even the ones on my boobies. I think this is her particular problem because she was left in a cage for 3 years in 4 different homes. You can tell she wants to be a friendly and social bird, some of her marbles just ain't there anymore.

Cheney Bird loves to be in shirts. And the bite whatever he has access to! He's kind of :evil: sometimes.. but cute.
Back to top Go down
Perch
Budgerigar
Perch

My Birds : Pickle the spoiled, Ecco the sweet, Merlyn the big, Arthur the brat, and Sebastian the loud

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:59 pm

It is 100% true the bigger the bird the less nippy. There are a couple reasons why a bird will nip when on the phone or with other people. Birds have a fight or flight instinct and they are very jealous. You are your birds flock - if they feel a threat it will nip you to get you to fly away also they will nip if something (a phone) is taking you from them. If you think simple their is almost always a reason and they are telling you something it is up to you to figure out what. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:06 am

Perch wrote:
It is 100% true the bigger the bird the less nippy. There are a couple reasons why a bird will nip when on the phone or with other people. Birds have a fight or flight instinct and they are very jealous. You are your birds flock - if they feel a threat it will nip you to get you to fly away also they will nip if something (a phone) is taking you from them. If you think simple their is almost always a reason and they are telling you something it is up to you to figure out what. Very Happy

Cheney Bird turns into Cujo when he sees the phone. He will go through hell and high water to get it. He's bitten my face and lips a couple of times. He's also attacked it when he saw it on the nightstand table. He's just psycho. But he's my psycho.
Back to top Go down
Perch
Budgerigar
Perch

My Birds : Pickle the spoiled, Ecco the sweet, Merlyn the big, Arthur the brat, and Sebastian the loud

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:13 am

some birds have hangups. at the rescue we have a too that like to chew the crap out of brooms dustpans and shoes.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:18 am

Perch wrote:
some birds have hangups. at the rescue we have a too that like to chew the crap out of brooms dustpans and shoes.

I would have a million cockatoos if I didn't live in an apartment. I love them.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:01 am

Generalizing, I'd say parrotlets. But then again they're supposed to be mini amazons.

Second answer - The species of parrot that you don't understand. I don't "get" amazons. So, basically I have a scar for every encounter I've ever had with an amazon.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Degree of biteyness    Degree of biteyness  Empty

Back to top Go down

Degree of biteyness
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: Parrot Species-
Jump to: