Share | 

"Submissive" green cheek

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:14 pm

GO - From actual experience I also believe baby sparks are real. Except I go about it the opposite way from VickiNumbers - whether or not the bird seems to feel a spark with the people, not whether the person feels a spark with the bird.

People have a tendency to pick a baby on color and I'm not sure what else = human spark. When I have several babies to choose from, I watch the interactions and I'll push the baby that I see fits the person/family's personality = baby bird spark. I've followed up with many of these personalized fits and there seems to be a lot less preference changes as the bird matures;and/or the bird "fit right in".

While this is purely anecdotal, I think that perhaps a lot of the bird's flip flopping in preferences/having personality traits that don't fit the family might be that the wrong bird was selected in the first place.

Baby traits do carry over into adulthood. This goes for other types of animals also, such as dogs. The best dogs I've had in my personal experience are the ones that I specifically temperament tested as puppies and chose puppies that had qualities that suited me and my lifestyle. The ones selected based purely on cute, or "it's a puppy, it's a blank slate", were not my favorite dogs.

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
JodyL
Budgerigar

My Birds : Sayde AKA Bella= gcc

PostSubject: You guys are all terrific , making me feel much better!   Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:36 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Return the bird because there's no spark? No!! It's a baby bird, even if there was a 'spark', it could totally change its preference to another person as it matures. We hear about it all the time. I don't believe that the spark theory works in babies, more in adult birds.

I have to say- my lovebird was an impulse buy. I had NO idea what I was getting into. Picked her on color from a brown paper bag full O lovebirds. (They were cleaning the cage). Her early nicknames were monster, terminator and Mussolini- she turned out to be the best friend anyone could ask for.

Bella(name still not 100% sure) is a mellow girl- who can complain about that? As I write, she is happily tearing up my bathrobe. I think my bonding is complicated by too fresh memories of our dearly departed. Thank you all for your support- I am excited by this warm string of responses from fellow birdie lovers.
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure

My Birds : Poe - Yellow Sided GCC
Doppler - Pearl Whiteface Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:37 pm

patdbunny wrote:
GO - From actual experience I also believe baby sparks are real. Except I go about it the opposite way from VickiNumbers - whether or not the bird seems to feel a spark with the people, not whether the person feels a spark with the bird.

People have a tendency to pick a baby on color and I'm not sure what else = human spark. When I have several babies to choose from, I watch the interactions and I'll push the baby that I see fits the person/family's personality = baby bird spark. I've followed up with many of these personalized fits and there seems to be a lot less preference changes as the bird matures;and/or the bird "fit right in".

While this is purely anecdotal, I think that perhaps a lot of the bird's flip flopping in preferences/having personality traits that don't fit the family might be that the wrong bird was selected in the first place.

Baby traits do carry over into adulthood. This goes for other types of animals also, such as dogs. The best dogs I've had in my personal experience are the ones that I specifically temperament tested as puppies and chose puppies that had qualities that suited me and my lifestyle. The ones selected based purely on cute, or "it's a puppy, it's a blank slate", were not my favorite dogs.

Thumbs-up

Every pet we've had or still have has been based on the spark, along with some behavioral checks when they're young. Every pet we've had or still have has changed a bit between being a baby and becoming an adult, but those fundamental personality traits that we fell in love with still shine through.

This isn't to say that we've both had immediate sparks with all of the animals - in fact when we picked Poe up, I was instantly in love, and the hubby was a little less enthused. Now, every spare second he has my hubby spends with Poe, and Poe with him while I am left to type messages on the forum all alone...
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:57 pm

JodyL wrote:
I have to say- my lovebird was an impulse buy. I had NO idea what I was getting into. Picked her on color from a brown paper bag full O lovebirds. (They were cleaning the cage). Her early nicknames were monster, terminator and Mussolini- she turned out to be the best friend anyone could ask for.
My first conure was an impulse buy also. She kept jumping on me at the checkout counter at the pet store. Same experience as you - BEST BIRD EVER!!
JodyL wrote:
Bella(name still not 100% sure) is a mellow girl- who can complain about that? As I write, she is happily tearing up my bathrobe.
Oh I can't wait for the nicknames to come! Chomper, Wood Chipper, Destructo. . . vicki 5280
JodyL wrote:
I think my bonding is complicated by too fresh memories of our dearly departed. Thank you all for your support- I am excited by this warm string of responses from fellow birdie lovers.
Yes, condolences. While the two might be night and day, I get the feeling Bella will endear herself to you with her own special qualities soon.

Pretty_Poe wrote:
This isn't to say that we've both had immediate sparks with all of the animals - in fact when we picked Poe up, I was instantly in love, and the hubby was a little less enthused. Now, every spare second he has my hubby spends with Poe, and Poe with him while I am left to type messages on the forum all alone...
Sounds like the start of MBS justifications . . . Pass the bird, I need a huff.

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:21 am

patdbunny wrote:
WELL sister, it seems that you don't have a complete understanding of what comprises a *spark* then, do you? One theory on lightning bolts is that the strike begins from the ground up and is completed from the cloud down. That's my theory on sparks - they go both ways. People need to feel something for the bird, but the personality of the bird needs to fit the person/family as well. The caveat to that is that not all people have the self-awareness and do the research into the animal they're buying to determine if that personality fit is there... that's why they just pick for color, cuteness, outgoing, whatever, and hope for the best.

patdbunny wrote:
yes! It's a lot like a marriage! If you marry the man/woman just because he/she is hot, eventually it's not going to work out. If you marry the person who you have a lot in common with you're going to be a LOT happier, even as you grow old together and things about you and your life change.

patdbunny wrote:
Uh huh. see above.

patdbunny wrote:
OH yeah. Totally my experience as well... which is not to say that picking the cute one out of a paper sack won't ever work out (as evidenced by Jody,) but that's luck, not spark.

Just sayin'.

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever, for what you have tamed."
~Antoine de Saint Exupery

....... ~*~ Vicki ~*~
.... Allie.... Sam.... Caesar
...... Mack...... Micky

http://BunchesOfBudgies.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
coral
Sun Conure

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 pm

it takes birds a long time to settle in and get used to you dont worry give it time she'll trust you and youll see her wonderful personality Wink
Back to top Go down
JodyL
Budgerigar

My Birds : Sayde AKA Bella= gcc

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:10 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
WELL sister, it seems that you don't have a complete understanding of what comprises a *spark* then, do you? One theory on lightning bolts is that the strike begins from the ground up and is completed from the cloud down. That's my theory on sparks - they go both ways. People need to feel something for the bird, but the personality of the bird needs to fit the person/family as well. The caveat to that is that not all people have the self-awareness and do the research into the animal they're buying to determine if that personality fit is there... that's why they just pick for color, cuteness, outgoing, whatever, and hope for the best.

patdbunny wrote:
yes! It's a lot like a marriage! If you marry the man/woman just because he/she is hot, eventually it's not going to work out. If you marry the person who you have a lot in common with you're going to be a LOT happier, even as you grow old together and things about you and your life change.

patdbunny wrote:
Uh huh. see above.

patdbunny wrote:
OH yeah. Totally my experience as well... which is not to say that picking the cute one out of a paper sack won't ever work out (as evidenced by Jody,) but that's luck, not spark.

Just sayin'.

I wonder how much the birdie parents(us) have to do with bringing out the best in any given bird? I would bet that has a big influence. My husband is convinced our little terminator Pinot was made into the angel she was by my loving attention. Interesting thought.

jody and Sayde
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:28 am

^ You make a very good point. I think that the amount of time you spend with a bird make a huge difference in how the bird (any bird) turns out.

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever, for what you have tamed."
~Antoine de Saint Exupery

....... ~*~ Vicki ~*~
.... Allie.... Sam.... Caesar
...... Mack...... Micky

http://BunchesOfBudgies.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Submissive" green cheek   

Back to top Go down

"Submissive" green cheek
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2