Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flight training my Greencheek and Quaker Parrots - Such as it is :)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Flight training my Greencheek and Quaker Parrots - Such as it is  :)  Empty
PostSubject: Flight training my Greencheek and Quaker Parrots - Such as it is :)    Flight training my Greencheek and Quaker Parrots - Such as it is  :)  EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:18 am

Soooo...

I've been trying to train JJ to do some flight recall. She's totally uninterested in targeting and the clicker. Believe me, I've tried it with her and it just doesn't work. So, I've just been calling and rewarding when she responds as she's supposed to. At this point, I'd say that she comes to me about 60-70% of the time, and about 50% of the time she recalls she recalls within 3-4 summons. If she were my kid she'd be grounded for life, but since she's a bird and I've really only been working on this for less than two weeks, I feel like we're doing pretty good! We're going to move out into the back yard next week! I can't wait!

I'm totally kidding about that part! Ha Ha! Seriously though, about the clicker - I've had really good success using it with Bucky. He took to it like a duck takes to his quack (er) (Get it? Quaker? Quacker? Laughing ) Even though he's clipped, I'm teaching him "flight" recall between perches, just lowering the second perch so he's able to successfully fly to it. I think it will be good for him when he molts in his new feathers to already know what's expected - and that he's able to get from perch to perch. It's also teaching him how to aim a little bit. Usually when he wants down, he just jumps, flaps, and lands. Using the perches, he's forced to look and measure the distance, he's having to re-develop some flying skills that he hasn't used since he was allowed to briefly fledge. If all goes as planned, with his new feathers he'll be building on skills he's relearning now as well as learning that he doesn't have to go "downhill" all the time. How fun will THAT day be?!

Posei? Posei still drops like a rock. I'm thinking of harness training him simply for safety. I figure that if we've got a harness on him all the time, he wont keep hitting the ground when he tries to fly. Either that or I'll have to invent a titanium bird suit for him to wear. Padded on the inside, unbreakable on the outside. Then he can jump, drop, and roll - and be padded so I don't have to worry about him breaking ... everything!

Well, that's the update so far! I've been trying to get a video of JJ, but it seems like every time I pull out my camera, she decides it time to sit still and preen. If I ever get one I'll get it posted!

================================================
Addendum: I free feed if anyone cares. I just don't include mangos or pepper seeds in their meals. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

Flight training my Greencheek and Quaker Parrots - Such as it is  :)  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flight training my Greencheek and Quaker Parrots - Such as it is :)    Flight training my Greencheek and Quaker Parrots - Such as it is  :)  EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 5:45 am

Vicki5280, how is the progress with flight training? Any success since you post that info?
Back to top Go down

Flight training my Greencheek and Quaker Parrots - Such as it is :)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Training :: Flight Training-
Jump to: