Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Back and ready for anwsers!

Go down 
+3
ScooterNScotty
kaeladedah
Fallen_Parakeet
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
Fallen_Parakeet

My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)

Back and ready for anwsers! Empty
PostSubject: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Hey everyone sorry I was gone for so long, I had matters to get resolved. I'm back now!
Pete has a nice cage, big enough for him to flutter around in.. but it's not the size I want for him. I LOVE this cage: http://www.bird-cage.com/bird-cages/prevue-flight-cage-large/
It is a Prevue Flight Cage - Large. That would give him enough room to fly in/play in/and sleep in. The only problem is that if I get that cage it would go in my room and not in the living room where it is very active. So I could get him a larger cage and have him be more alone during the days or have him in the cage he has now and have him be with family. I am going to pick up and continue taking him out of the cage to fly around a stuff. What do you guys think about that?!
Then we have another problem... If I don't get the new cage I could build/make a indoor playpin that will hang from the ceiling in my room for him to play in and hangout.

What do you think about this!!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 3:18 pm

I have a cage very similar to that and my budgies love it! Is there a reason a bigger cage couldn't go in the living room?

My budgies only see me every day and are fine with that interaction, though it is better for them to be around people.
Back to top Go down
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
Fallen_Parakeet

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 4:13 pm

kaeladedah wrote:
I have a cage very similar to that and my budgies love it! Is there a reason a bigger cage couldn't go in the living room?

My budgies only see me every day and are fine with that interaction, though it is better for them to be around people.
My parents want the living room more spacious and they think the cage will take up a lot of room. I could get the bigger cage and put it in my room and when Pete wants some human interaction I can put him in the smaller cage in the living room...
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Fallen_Parakeet wrote:
I could get the bigger cage and put it in my room and when Pete wants some human interaction I can put him in the smaller cage in the living room...

That sounds like a pretty good solution!
Back to top Go down
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
Fallen_Parakeet

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 6:32 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Fallen_Parakeet wrote:
I could get the bigger cage and put it in my room and when Pete wants some human interaction I can put him in the smaller cage in the living room...

That sounds like a pretty good solution!

This is the store we looked at today:

http://ourfeatheredfriends.com/

My mom likes cages like these because of price and size:

J&M Lg Flight 30x18x18

J&M Tall Flight 30x18x36

J&M0124 20x20x57 Open Top

J&M0103 20x20x59 Arch

So like smaller ones... do you guys think that is better than what he has now..:

http://www.petco.com/product/114146/Petco-Designer-Green-Ranch-Style-Top-Parakeet-Cage.aspx

(Mine is a little different, maybe a little bigger?)

His cage now is: 5.5" , 13" , 21"

What do you guys think?!
Back to top Go down
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
Fallen_Parakeet

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Now here is another possible anwser:

We build an "Aviary" type structure for Pete. It would be hanging from the wooden roof over my patio. He would go in it during the day, not at night. What do you guys think. It would be homemade...
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 7:02 pm

The Our Feathered Friends cages that you posted don't seem like the best of quality. My flight cage is similar to the Prevue cage you posted and is pretty sturdy, able to hold perches and toys without warping the bars.

I also live in a very tiny apartment and I have two of those cages. They don't really take up that much space at all. They are able to fit a lot of toys, large food and water dishes, and many perches.

But what really matters here is where you're most comfortable putting the cage. If you want to move Pete from the bedroom (if you get the bigger cage) to the living room for socialization, I see no reason why that wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Hey Fallen Parakeet,

I would suggest a flight cage from here:
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/SMALL_BIRD_CAGES-A_E_Flight_Cage_32x21.html

You get 10% off as a first time customer and FREE shipping.
It's the same dimensions as one of the cages you said you wanted, but it has a stand and is MUCH stronger. I have it and I love it!

I would also suggest a playgym, check out the rest of www.mysafebirdstore.com and look around for boings or hanging gyms, there are a lot!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Hey Fallen Parakeet,

It's the same dimensions as one of the cages you said you wanted, but it has a stand and is MUCH stronger. I have it and I love it!

I would also suggest a playgym, check out the rest of www.mysafebirdstore.com and look around for boings or hanging gyms, there are a lot!

Back and ready for anwsers! 3938999417
Back to top Go down
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
Fallen_Parakeet

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 12:01 am

kaeladedah wrote:
The Our Feathered Friends cages that you posted don't seem like the best of quality. My flight cage is similar to the Prevue cage you posted and is pretty sturdy, able to hold perches and toys without warping the bars.

I also live in a very tiny apartment and I have two of those cages. They don't really take up that much space at all. They are able to fit a lot of toys, large food and water dishes, and many perches.

But what really matters here is where you're most comfortable putting the cage. If you want to move Pete from the bedroom (if you get the bigger cage) to the living room for socialization, I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

Oh okay, sounds cool. I think if I buy a cage Ill put it in my bedroom.

GlassOnion wrote:
Hey Fallen Parakeet,

Cool! Now would you recomend that or http://www.bird-cage.com/bird-cages/prevue-flight-cage-large/ ?
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 3:21 am

What do you folks who have the cages like this which lack horizontal bars do about making it easy for them to climb around the cage?
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 4:21 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
What do you folks who have the cages like this which lack horizontal bars do about making it easy for them to climb around the cage?

My guys scale the cage even without horizontal bars. Piper and Pigpen are particularly adept at it.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 12:18 pm

The sides of my cages have horizontal bars. But yeah, they get along just fine.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:28 pm

He's already getting pretty adept at the move-sideways-and-slide maneuver. But I think I might get some of those plastic chains to hang around various places to climb up and down.

Scooter is going to need a new cage, I think... He is technically smaller than Blanco, but I'm feeling bad he's in a smaller cage! We didn't give him the new cage because he really likes his playtop and spends a ton of time there.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Chains that hang? I don't know about everyone else, my Einstein prefers to stay sturdy in one place. While the budgies swing and hang around, Einstein prefers to stay put. Maybe it has to do with cockatiel's clumsiness.

You could always make a pay top.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:49 pm

CB has a cage pretty similar to your new one and he loves it. But he was able to pry one of the bars off in order to create an escape hatch, and he's also able to open the feeder doors.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:54 pm

kaeladedah wrote:
CB has a cage pretty similar to your new one and he loves it. But he was able to pry one of the bars off in order to create an escape hatch, and he's also able to open the feeder doors.

I think conures have stronger beaks than cockatiels. None of my bars have ever been broken.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 3:13 pm

The one I have doesn't have feeder doors, just two front doors and two places for attaching nest boxes. It's pretty sturdy.

The idea with the chains is to attach them top and bottom to the cage side, to make an easier climbing surface to get from place to place.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 6:49 pm

i put a small boing in one of my cages...works great

dusty
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 2:27 pm

dusty wrote:
i put a small boing in one of my cages...works great

dusty

I have boings in both Merlin's and Arthur's cages. They love them!

Fallen, as long as your parents are okay with the smaller cage in the living room, getting a larger cage for your bedroom sounds like the best answer. You can have him with you in your bedroom when you want and out with others for more interaction. It would also allow you to move him somewhere quieter if there was a lot of people over, so he did not become over stimulated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back and ready for anwsers!   Back and ready for anwsers! Empty

Back to top Go down

Back and ready for anwsers!
Page 1 of 1