Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One Step Closer!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

My Birds : Poe - Yellow Sided GCC
Doppler - Pearl Whiteface Cockatiel

One Step Closer! Empty
PostSubject: One Step Closer!   One Step Closer! EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:05 pm

We are one step closer!

We picked up a home for our soon-to-be-new 'tiel yesterday! It DWARFS Poe's cage (for the first little while that the 'tiel is home, it likely won't be getting as much "free play" time as Poe - his door is only closed for sleep, and 4 hours during the day when we are both at work [unless we have to go out] so we wanted it to have more space). But I am a terrible person and am too excited to post here to actually take a picture.

BONUS on the cage: It was completely, 100% FREEEEEEEEE!!! A friend's family was going to be attempting to sell their former cage, and when they found out that we needed one, offered it to us for the one time low price of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Couldn't say no.

It's not the most amazing cage, but it's quite nice and - after having been steamed in the shower for over an hour today and scrubbed to all heck - will make an excellent temporary home until this summer when we upgrade both Poe and new Fid's homes.

So now.... The Search for a 'Tiel begins!

We are thinking about contacting Poe's breeder, as she also breeds 'tiels, and we have had nothing but joy from Poe. He's well adjusted, sociable, talkative, and healthy.

On the note of a new fid, does anyone have any tips on how to properly introduce Poe to the new addition when it comes? Also what to expect for the first few weeks from Poe after his territory is invaded by some strange birdie with funny hair?

(On a side note, Poe has learned to say "OM NOM NOM", and is currently chowing down on some mash mumbling away to himself.... "omnomnomnom*kissynoise*omnomnomnomnom*kisskiss*nomnomnom")
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

One Step Closer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Step Closer!   One Step Closer! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 7:30 pm

We called the lady we got Poe from today .... She has babies!

Many, many babies.

We will be going to meet: 2 albino males, 1 pearl male, 2 whiteface males, a grey male, a whiteface female, a pearl female, and a grey female tomorrow!

Also, Poe has commandeered the new cage.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

One Step Closer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Step Closer!   One Step Closer! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:27 pm

LOL on the commandeering. If I ever feel flush again, Scooter will be getting a new cage. And everyone will be getting a big outdoor sun cage. The new yard makes up in expansiveness what it lacks in landscaping for sure! Plenty of space for all of the above.

I don't know if we'll turn Blanco and Scooter loose together or not. I'm a little afraid Scooter might chomp him! But we won't likely try until we're moved into the new house and settled. A quarantine period of about a month in a separate room is a good idea if you can do it. Ideal would be a room with a completely separate air circulation system and a change of clothes between birds, compromise in a small abode might be cages opposite sides of the room and change shirts and wash hands between birds... What, no normal babies? We saw a cute, probably male normal yesterday. Although I think if I had had to pick one to start with, the whiteface mutation might have been my first choice, so it's amusing that one turned up literally on the doorstep.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

One Step Closer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Step Closer!   One Step Closer! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
I'm a little afraid Scooter might chomp him!

Scooter might really like Blanco. CB would be very lonely without Piper and never goes to chomp him, even when Piper is being quite obnoxious! He's actually very good about being gentle with him.

I was worried about CB with the budgies at first, though. I thought the size difference, especially in the beak, would be bad news for all involved. Now they're BFFs.
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

One Step Closer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Step Closer!   One Step Closer! EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:49 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
LOL on the commandeering. If I ever feel flush again, Scooter will be getting a new cage. And everyone will be getting a big outdoor sun cage. The new yard makes up in expansiveness what it lacks in landscaping for sure! Plenty of space for all of the above.

I don't know if we'll turn Blanco and Scooter loose together or not. I'm a little afraid Scooter might chomp him! But we won't likely try until we're moved into the new house and settled. A quarantine period of about a month in a separate room is a good idea if you can do it. Ideal would be a room with a completely separate air circulation system and a change of clothes between birds, compromise in a small abode might be cages opposite sides of the room and change shirts and wash hands between birds... What, no normal babies? We saw a cute, probably male normal yesterday. Although I think if I had had to pick one to start with, the whiteface mutation might have been my first choice, so it's amusing that one turned up literally on the doorstep.

Poe is a master at deciding that EVERYTHING is his. We've sent him back to his own cage, though as we don't want him thinking that he has free access to BOTH cages.

In the summer we'll be upgrading both of them. We're looking at something like this: http://www.bird-cage.com/bird-cages/a-e-forte-flight-cage/

... but we're hoping to find something with a playtop and similar dimensions (if not a little bigger). First, we need to replace our current TV stand/get a wall mount and rearrange/furnish his office so that we can move the bookshelf in there to make room in the common areas for the extra width (both cages we currently have are about 22"W, so we''ll be taking up another 20" or so of our living room).

We're planning on keeping the 'tiel in the bedroom, and wash our hands before handling Poe anyway, so won't need to adjust behavior on that part. The big thing there is PLAN. I'm not sure how long it will last having the 'tiel locked away in a room all by it's lonesome for a month. It may make it's way into the office.... and then into the living room. We're suckers for a lonely little tweet.

I'm REALLY hoping that Poe and the 'tiel can be friendly with each other. One of the reasons for getting it now is that we're hoping Poe is still young enough to not be too territorial or aggressive to a new Fid and will be more likely to adjust. Hoping....

He needs someone to help him with those pin feathers on his face, and my fingers are just too ... unbeak-ly.

As for colour mutations... I am also surprised and SUPER STOKED. She has a male and female "normal grey", but for the most part she has pearls and whiteface right now. Her greys are also a bit older(I believe about a month) and are the last two left from their clutch.

Blanco looks like such a sweet bird! I just want to scritch his little head!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

One Step Closer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Step Closer!   One Step Closer! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 10:57 am

Cockatiels are pushovers. I think that both Poe and Scooter will get along with their cockatiel siblings.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

One Step Closer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Step Closer!   One Step Closer! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Pretty_Poe wrote:

Poe is a master at deciding that EVERYTHING is his. We've sent him back to his own cage, though as we don't want him thinking that he has free access to BOTH cages.

I'm REALLY hoping that Poe and the 'tiel can be friendly with each other. One of the reasons for getting it now is that we're hoping Poe is still young enough to not be too territorial or aggressive to a new Fid and will be more likely to adjust. Hoping....

I hope they get along well, but remember the above first statement. Merlin is like this too and felt that everything belonged to him (kinda still does). That can be a problem when introducing two birds together when one has been in the house for a while. Arthur and Merlin don't really like each other very much, mainly due to Arthur's fear/agression and Merlin thinking the whole world is his.

If/when you try the introduction, maybe try using a room that neither bird has been in before. Neutral territory may make things go smoother.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

One Step Closer! Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Step Closer!   One Step Closer! Empty

Back to top Go down

One Step Closer!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Welcome :: Parrot Tales-
Jump to: