HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Are there birds that are happier as breeders?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Are there birds that are happier as breeders?   Fri May 11, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm having thoughts that Scooter wants to be a daddy bird more than he wants to be a pet. He's actually been on his best behavior for months, and has stopped biting. He's very obedient and he seems very happy doing his own thing, but he's just not the cuddly bird he was a year and a half ago. And his favorite ways to entertain himself generally involve chewing and "playing house" in any enclosed space he can get access to.

I took him to the store to get trimmed up prior to our move and after gratefully jumping back onto "mom" post-indignity, his next move was to go walkabout in the store. I had the strong impression he wanted to be off hunting for a girlfriend. I never really get that feeling with Scotty so I don't think I'm making it up, although I suppose I could be...

So I just wonder if he's one of those birds who'd just really rather be.... a bird. I could, of course, try doing all sorts of things to reduce any hormonal behavior, but I'm basically treating him exactly the same way I am the other two, and I sort of have this feeling it would be like trying to make a round peg fit a square hole. He's probably fine just the way he is, and I'm not at all interested in getting into breeding, but I just have this nagging feeling that's what would make him the happiest.

Am I nuts?
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Are there birds that are happier as breeders?   Fri May 11, 2012 6:39 pm

I've read from others with GCCs that they get significantly less cuddly and much more independant as they mature. I've noticed the same with CB, except now that he's clipped (and I'm still not happy about that..), he's gotten significantly more needy. I miss my independant jerk of a bird.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Are there birds that are happier as breeders?   Fri May 11, 2012 7:16 pm

I think there are pets out there who would be happier at being breeders, but if you ever put them with a mate and they bonded ,they'd never make a good pet again. I'm sure you realize this. IMO the happiest birds are the breeders,they live more like wild birds than pets do, their mate is with them 24/7 ,just like their wild counterparts.They have a constant stable flock around them (just in separate cages). If you ever took him around some females i'm sure you could tell which way he'll flip.My advice is to be sure that's what you want to do before doing it.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Are there birds that are happier as breeders?   Fri May 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Yeah, I know I'd lose him as a pet. And he still has moments of being sweet, but he's definitely more of an independent critter anyway. The other two are much more people-needy. On the other hand, he talks to us all the time. Scooter talks people almost incessantly. I wonder what that means? If he's in his cage and he wants to come out, he has a tendency to accuse me "You're a sleepy bird!". Really.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Are there birds that are happier as breeders?   Fri May 11, 2012 11:00 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Yeah, I know I'd lose him as a pet. And he still has moments of being sweet, but he's definitely more of an independent critter anyway. The other two are much more people-needy. On the other hand, he talks to us all the time. Scooter talks people almost incessantly. I wonder what that means? If he's in his cage and he wants to come out, he has a tendency to accuse me "You're a sleepy bird!". Really.

I'd likely say this is more typical of a maturing GCC than a bird wanting to breed. Young birds are often more cuddly and they tend to lose that as they mature. Some species are also much more cuddly and people dependant than others.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: Are there birds that are happier as breeders?   Fri May 11, 2012 11:03 pm

I don't know about GCC's, but the suns and jendays - starting out as super tame pets, are vicious as breeders, but have turned back into sweet pets after retirement.

SnS - I actually went through exactly what you're going through. My first jenday. She was my buddy. I didn't want her to be a breeder. I kept her as a pet for 8 years. She pined to be a mommy. At the 8 year mark of her life, I had been breeding tiels for about 2 years. I was maintenancing an empty cage that had a nest box on it, she jumped off me, flew into the nest box and wouldn't come out. That's when I decided to finally get her a mate. But I don't feel bad for the 8 years I kept her as a pet and discouraged breeding behavior. Do what you feel is best for all of you.

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there birds that are happier as breeders?   

Back to top Go down

Are there birds that are happier as breeders?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: Parrot Behaviors-
Jump to: