Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

My Birds : Poe - Yellow Sided GCC
Doppler - Pearl Whiteface Cockatiel

Help? Empty
PostSubject: Help?   Help? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Long story short, I have been made aware of some budgies who were left to do what teenagers do best, and are now sitting on 5 eggs. This individual who I definitely do not have an excess of warm feelings for, is quite upset and wants to toss the eggs.

Nuh huh.

SO! If I promise to take the babies after they hatch, he may be willing to allow Mom to sit on the babies, and possibly feed them for a few weeks - but the feeding part is questionable.

I have ABSOLUTELY no experience with handfeeding, but Steph and I have been talking about getting a budgie or two once we move, and I just cannot be "Okay" with tossing eggs out because you're too "busy" and don't understand that EVERY animal has biological urges.

Obviously, I am upset with this person.

ANYWHO!

I'm fairly certain I've read posts from a few people with experience handfeeding babies.

Caring for them wouldn't be an issue, as someone is always home. But how early can they safely be removed from Mom? What do I feed them? Resources on learning how to do this? And... everything else?
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help?   Help? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 4:28 pm

A lot of people sterilize the eggs and give them back to prevent recurring laying, so that is an option. And even with the best prevention and supervision, eggs sometimes just happen.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help?   Help? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 4:29 pm

I have no experience handfeeding or breeding, but I do have a few thoughts.

The first is that he needs to let the female sit on the eggs until she's ready to stop doing so, even if they aren't fertile -- or else replace them with dummies -- regardless of his willingness to raise the babies. Otherwise the female will likely keep laying and get into trouble physiologically. You could maybe candle the eggs to find out if they are indeed fertile.

The second is that I have heard first-time clutches are often unsuccessful, so these eggs may not hatch out after all.

The third is that, if the clutch is successful and the five eggs all hatch out, you need a plan for the 5 budgies! Could you keep them if you can't find homes for them?

Not much help, am I?
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help?   Help? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 4:54 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
I have no experience handfeeding or breeding, but I do have a few thoughts.

The first is that he needs to let the female sit on the eggs until she's ready to stop doing so, even if they aren't fertile -- or else replace them with dummies -- regardless of his willingness to raise the babies. Otherwise the female will likely keep laying and get into trouble physiologically. You could maybe candle the eggs to find out if they are indeed fertile.

The second is that I have heard first-time clutches are often unsuccessful, so these eggs may not hatch out after all.

The third is that, if the clutch is successful and the five eggs all hatch out, you need a plan for the 5 budgies! Could you keep them if you can't find homes for them?

Not much help, am I?

You are definitely helpful.

Apparently, this would be the second clutch for this female - the first one resulted in three babies - and he found the babies to be "too noisy" (whatever that means) as they were growing. He candled from my understanding, and is fairly certain that at least four are fertilized - the fifth is questionable.

The problem I am having is that when I offer to take Mum and babies and care for them: He doesn't want mom to be taken, but he doesn't want the babies, and is sick and tired of the troubles caused by Mom laying eggs. I suggested he look into alternatives instead of just "tossing" the eggs (such as sterilizing) - an idea which was met with me being told that he "doesn't have time to research how to properly kill a bird". But I THINK we may have reached a suitable compromise.

His sister in law - who is my friend, and the one who informed me - is going to (attempt) to transport Mommy, Daddy and eggies two blocks down the street to her house, where she will house momma and babies - and where reallygoodatoffendingmysensibilities dude can still go visit her. Once babies are weaned, Steph and I will bring two home, and friend will house the rest. If this guy still wants Momma back at that point, I'll let my friend deal with him.

At this time, I am just glad that no eggs are getting tossed in the kitchen garbage.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help?   Help? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 5:46 pm

I be glad to offer advice with handfeeding, but i don't know much about budgies. I'd order this book if you want to learn about handfeeding,,,,Parrots..handfeeding and nursery management,,,by Howard Voren and Rick Jordan. I found copies on Amazon.com for 2-4 dollars, shipping cost more than the book. PS this is the "Bible" of handfeeding.
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help?   Help? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 5:48 pm

henpecked wrote:
I be glad to offer advice with handfeeding, but i don't know much about budgies. I'd order this book if you want to learn about handfeeding,,,,Parrots..handfeeding and nursery management,,,by Howard Voren and Rick Jordan. I found copies on Amazon.com for 2-4 dollars, shipping cost more than the book.

Haha! Thanks!

I don't think there will be hand feeding, unless Mom seems to be having trouble....

Or unless I just can't help myself and absolutely must. I'm so tempted.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help?   Help? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:16 am

I am thinking the best one to ask is VickiNumbers, as she has been breeding budgies for a little while now, and has gone through all of what you are planning. She would be a great help here!

Vicki!!!!! We need you!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help?   Help? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Breeding :: Breeding Discussions-
Jump to: