* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Blanco's wierd tail feather   Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:41 pm

When Blanco appeared on our doorstep, aside from being underweight and filled with roundworms, he had one tail feather that stuck out at about a 30 degree angle to the side of the rest of them. It's a broader, blunter one that I assume would normally tuck into the sleek pointed tail and not be particularly obvious. When he molted it out, I was happy and thought it was likely a feather that had gotten yanked or otherwise damaged during his outdoor adventure. However, it has now made a full reappearance, and it's stuck out to the side as it was before. It tends to get a big ragged since it drags against things when the other tail feathers clear them.

Should I assume this is a genetic thing, essentially a defect? Or a permanent result of injury? Is there any reason I'd want to trim the feather back to get it more out of the way?

I asked the vet about it when I took the little guy in for a once over and his opinion was basically "whatever". OTOH, I was not very impressed with that vet. He prescribed an inappropriate wormer for a 'tiel and the poor guy was sick as a dog, I'm still a bit concerned it did some permanent damage. You'd think in a city like this, there would be avian certified vets on every block, but in fact the closest actually credentialed one is now a two hour drive through heinous traffic away. There is an AAV registered one with a separate exam room from birds a half hour from our new house, and I'll probably take one of them in there for a well bird visit soon to check it out...
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Blanco's wierd tail feather   Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:09 pm

Sounds like it might be genetic. Clipping it might be the only wayto get rid of it, if you pluck it, it will grow back faster. How is the "flock" doing?
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Blanco's wierd tail feather   Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:00 pm

It could also be a damaged follicle, but as with plucking, you won't be able to correct it. I don't know that I'd trim it though, if its a tail feather, he'll need it to aid in balance and if he's already adjusted to its oddity, trimming it back may throw him off

http://www.voliveri.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blanco's wierd tail feather   

Back to top Go down

Blanco's wierd tail feather
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: General Care & Information-
Jump to: