Go down 
AuthorMessage
audreyu
Budgerigar

My Birds : Articuno - Budgie
Victor - Budgie
Loki - Yellow sided green cheek conure
KC - Timneh African Grey

PostSubject: I found my african grey scratching his neck with his own feather   Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:09 pm

So I just got KC a couple days ago, so he's not used to too much interaction with me yet, but I have been trying to give him as much attention as possible, and he really doesn't seem too stressed.

After cooking dinner tonight I walked in the living room and caught KC using a feather (I'm guessing he plucked it out) to scratch the back of his neck. It seemed like he was getting the right spot, and when I got closer he looked at me and then continued to do it while cooing at me. It's the only feather I've seen out of him and I looked on the bottom of the cage and it's free of feathers, so this is the first time he's done this.

I'm a brand new african grey owner so I'm obviously going to be a little paranoid about some things I don't understand, but is that normal? Should I worry at all?

As I'm writing this he's taking a huge bath (the first I've seen him do since I got him) so maybe he's just in crazy preening mode tonight..
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: I found my african grey scratching his neck with his own feather   Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:38 pm

As long as he doesn't have a history of plucking, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've seen Scotty do something similar, with a feather that happened to molt.
Back to top Go down
audreyu
Budgerigar

My Birds : Articuno - Budgie
Victor - Budgie
Loki - Yellow sided green cheek conure
KC - Timneh African Grey

PostSubject: Re: I found my african grey scratching his neck with his own feather   Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks! I think that's probably all it was. I'm just being a mom I guess Smile
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: I found my african grey scratching his neck with his own feather   Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:06 am

Yep. :-) Took me a year to stop expecting somebody to be toes up in the morning!
Back to top Go down
BratBirds
Parrotlet

My Birds : Timneh African Grey-Peanut
Sun Conure-Skittles
Tiel-Mariah

PostSubject: Re: I found my african grey scratching his neck with his own feather   Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:32 pm

Yes. most parrots will do this once in a while. And please don't hesitate to ask about something they do, someone here will have a good answer.

Don't forget we all were new owners once too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I found my african grey scratching his neck with his own feather   

Back to top Go down

I found my african grey scratching his neck with his own feather
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: Parrot Behaviors-
Jump to: