Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage?

Go down 
+2
patdbunny
JodyL
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JodyL
Budgerigar

My Birds : Sayde AKA Bella= gcc

Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage? Empty
PostSubject: Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage?   Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi all, You may remember me and my Sayde. We have had her 6 months now(time flies), she is 16 months old. Bonded very well to me(more ike velcro) still skittish with my husband- but I have given up on that. She is in her beautiful cage about 8-9 hours four days a week, but gets lots of other out of the cage time. I swear she just sits there in one spot all day, and rarely chews on anything. I can tell all the poop is under that one spot. Out of the cage she is very playful and curious. Chews on all her toys, eats great, bathes daily. I have tried rotating the toys to the ones I know she likes. It is not right in front of a window, but she can look out at a piece of window. Any ideas?

Jody:scratch:
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage?   Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Doesn't necessarily mean she "doesn't like being in her cage". If she's getting a lot of out time and a lot of stimulation outside of her cage, then cage time's nice relaxing "down time".

When I'm home on a day off from work, my preference is to literally lay in bed ALL DAY and do NOTHING. Doesn't mean I don't like being in my cage (my house), it means I see my cage as a nice safe, relaxing place to chill.

I'd consider a bird "not liking being in their cage" if they get in the cage and have strange neurotic behaviors like clinging to the side of the cage screaming, plucking in the cage, etc. Behaviors that are opposite of relaxed - neurotic.

If she gets out and is curious and active, I personally wouldn't worry about it. Sounds more like she sees her cage as a nice safe place for down time.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage?   Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 10:00 pm

I suspect Roz is right. Scooter is somewhat more active in his cage, but Blanco tends to just hang. And Scooter is a lot LESS active in the cage than out of it, where he is an Energizer bunny. Might just be that she's kind of mellow. You could try posting pictures of your setup and see if anybody has ideas about making it more fun in there, but otherwise I don't think I'd worry about it too much.
Back to top Go down
tawheed ali
Budgerigar

My Birds : indian pied hornbill

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage?   Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 12:13 am

if you are doubting that tour bird might be sick go to this link itt helps me a lot

http://www.kaytee.com/assets/010/22969.pdf
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage?   Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage? EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 2:19 pm

All birds are very different in and out of their cages. If your bird is not ill and has always behaved like this, then it is just her normal behavior. My Jardine has a cage full of toys but rarely moves through the cage actively. Its also quite possible that the bird is only inactive when you are around because she wants to come out, I have seen this behavior as well. She may be very active when you aren't watching. Just because she's not chewing doesn't mean she's not active.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage?   Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:16 pm

I realize I'm a bit late answering your question, but my answer is still relevant if you're still having the problem. I had a GCC who didn't like being in her cage. Her actions were completely different from your birds. I'd put her in her cage and she'd go nuts - climbing the walls incessantly. She wouldn't eat, drink, play, anything. Just climb the walls until I returned and let her out.

So yeah, I agree with everyone else! Sayde sounds like she's doing JUST fine. She doesn't dislike her cage - she's just chillin'.

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage?   Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why doesn't my GCC like being in her cage?
Page 1 of 1