HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

how do you deal with a bird going through a hormonal stage?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bearhugnjp
Budgerigar

PostSubject: how do you deal with a bird going through a hormonal stage?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:31 pm

I'v had this white bellied ciaque (Franklin who is about 3 years old) for about 4 weeks now, I know he's past the honeymoon stage but 4 days ago he has started to aggresivily bite me (drawing blood) so I'm leaving him alone (in his cage for now) But I still talk to him.

I've talked to my daughter (who had him for 3 years before he came to live with me) and she said Franklin never bit her, and she's just as stumped as I am about this new behavior.

I'm hoping it's his hormal stage, if it is it's his first taste of rampaging hormones, but I would like suggestions on how to deal with this stage. I don't want to totally back off, I liked having him out of his cage and playing with him. Franklin like playing around out of his cage also.
Back to top Go down
idlepirate
Lovebird

My Birds : Lorenzo - Blue Throat Conure

PostSubject: Re: how do you deal with a bird going through a hormonal stage?   Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:47 pm

I've got the same problem, Lorenzo is 2 years old. but he's always been a bit nippy over the last year and now is aggressiveness attacking and drawing blood. Might be hormonal, Ive thought about that. but in your situation it might be the new ownership, change, getting used to it etc. Im taking mine in next week to get clipped, hopefully that will help. Also waiting for a reply regarding just leaving him in the cage. We shall see:)

Wish you luck! hope he stops biting soon.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bluethroatconure?feature=mhee
dusty
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: how do you deal with a bird going through a hormonal stage?   Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:57 pm

give him time to adjust and spoil him with treats...good luck

dusty
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: how do you deal with a bird going through a hormonal stage?   Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:51 pm

I tend to go with the premise that it's best to avoid the bite, and that bribery is far better than discouragement. I wouldn't push him to interact if he doesn't want to, and I'd try to reward positive interaction in whatever way he most prefers.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: how do you deal with a bird going through a hormonal stage?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:14 am

I agree with Deb, pushing him beyond the comfort zone is just asking for a bite. Relax and enjoy whatever he is willing to give, and reward the behaviours you like, ignoring those you don't.

I am living this right now with Arthur, and it seems to be working, though very slowly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how do you deal with a bird going through a hormonal stage?   

Back to top Go down

how do you deal with a bird going through a hormonal stage?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: Parrot Behaviors-
Jump to: