Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Attack of "Evil Hat Man"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

The Attack of "Evil Hat Man" Empty
PostSubject: The Attack of "Evil Hat Man"   The Attack of "Evil Hat Man" EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:24 am

Thought I would share a version of something Richard had suggested for quieting a noisy bird when you leave the room. Richard had suggested that when a bird screams for attention, send a person that he does not want to see, so that he learns that screaming brings someone he doesn't want.

I modified this idea for Merlin. I have discovered over time that Merlin does not like some hats that I may wear, especially baseball caps and cowboy hats. I have this old straw cowboy hat that I keep around for when I am doing yard work, to keep from burning my neck in the sun. Merlin is terrified of this hat, and runs as far as he can in his cage away from me when I approach with the hat on. It's like he doesn't recognize me.

So I decided to use it. Whenever he is starting to get a little too loud and obnoxious, I pick up the hat and walk to the cage. He then hides or moves to the centre of the cage to be as far from the cage walls as he can. And he shuts up! I then walk away again. If he squawks again, then "Evil Hat Man" returns. If he stays quiet, then I go back in and talk to him or give him a treat.

It has not eliminated the problem, but it is a damn sight better than it was! Just an idea to try.

Thank you Henpecked for the inspiration!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: The Attack of "Evil Hat Man"   The Attack of "Evil Hat Man" EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Cool!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: The Attack of "Evil Hat Man"   The Attack of "Evil Hat Man" EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Your welcome, glad it helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Attack of "Evil Hat Man"   The Attack of "Evil Hat Man" Empty

Back to top Go down

The Attack of "Evil Hat Man"
Page 1 of 1