Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)

Go down 
+7
flappinhappy
henpecked
moa
Margaret
patdbunny
atlanon
GlassOnion
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) Empty
PostSubject: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 4:19 pm

What are they really like? I've read a lot, met a few, but still can't grasp what an Amazon personality is.
Are they the kind of birds that will roll around on the ground with a ball, or observe from your shoulder?
Are they expressive like a dog or cautious like a cat?
Do they like to scream during the day for fun? How do they compare to Greys, Macaws, Cockatoos?
Any more information would be appreciated Smile

One day, I want a med/large bird that will be my lifelong companion, so I'm just scoping out my options right now.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 4:35 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Do they like to scream during the day for fun? How do they compare to Greys, Macaws, Cockatoos?

I know I'm neither Josie nor Richard, but I used to have an Amazon, so I figured I'd throw this out there :bounce:

Our Amazon would let out what I've read is their morning/evening call, but it wasn't always at that time of day. Not ear-piercing like a conure but UNBELIEVABLY loud. To the point that you couldn't have a phone conversation anywhere in our 3 bedroom house. I thought it was great though, and, even for being as loud as it was, it wasn't screaming - it was melodious. We even had all of his different sounds and calls memorized (kind of like how you used to be able to hear your dial-up modem in your sleep, with all it's annoying little beeps and whistles). My mom's grey is surprisingly quiet, but he's just plain grouchy... I don't want to offend any grey people because I'm sure a lot of them are great, but I would take an Amazon over a grey any day. No experience with Macaws or Cockatoos, so you're on your own there Very Happy

As far as personality, I can give you what ours what like, but it probably won't be a great comparison to anything you'll have, so take it with a grain of salt. He was a rescue and we believe was on the older side. More of an observer than a player, but he would get animated for stuff he really enjoyed like showers and unshelled nuts. He also got along great with all of the other birds we had. We have pictures somewhere of him perched next to a little lovebird we had - cutest thing ever, it was like David and Goliath.

I want to hear what our resident Amazonians have to say, too!! One day I'd love to be owned by another one. Not for many a year from now... but one day flappinhappy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey LyzGrace, how's your Ekkie btw? Any significant traits you've noticed?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 6:32 pm

M2 - Noise: semi truck coming to a slamming halt in front of your face. I used to play tag in the afternoons with ours and make him scream. That helped to control his outbursts at other times.
Playful, but not overly hyper. Snuggly. He used to call the dog and feed the dog food out of his foot. He was a WMD. He was stealthy and quiet and got over to my friend's exercise bike and demolished it within 15 minutes. A quiet parrot is a parrot up to no good.

G2- Noise: not so loud, but very very raspy. The raspiness was pretty hard on the ears. More prone to screaming for attention than the M2.
Hyperactive ADHD. She's the reason I no longer want a monkey. Very destructive. Could not be left out of arms reach or she'd get to something and destroy it. You might like that level of activity, GlassOnion, but for us it turned out too much to keep up with - every day for 30 years. My friend has the G2 now.

I took in someone's U2 for a very short period of time. The U2 seems a personality cross between the M2 and G2. Loud. Most of the white toos are LOUD and prone to screaming for attention. I don't know about the Major Mitchells or galahs.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 6:44 pm

If I were EVER to get a 'too, it'd be a LSC2 or a BE2.. but even then, I think I'd take a Mini-Macaw over that because I'm scared of the 'too rep.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 6:49 pm

Ok, I'm sure I could google this, but I'm too lazy and I'm not afraid of you guys thinking I'm stupid... dumb this down for me... :|

M2(moluccan?), G2 (goffin?), LSC2 (something-starting-with-L sulfer crested?), BE2 (?), U2 (Bono?...jk...umbrella...)

I haven't done much research on any 'toos but the Galah, only because I've heard that they stray from the regular 'too rep to some degree and I think they're gorgeous. I can't wait to meet one.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 6:50 pm

Actually I would join the GlassOnion in the question about Zoons, what special, that you can't refuse? Intelligence? Sense of humor? Being so devoted to care-taker? What's the huge differ from other big parrots, please find a time for us, curious and jelous...

patdbunny wrote:
(..) G2 (...) She's the reason I no longer want a monkey.

I had really very hard day, but that make me laugh loud. You so deserve this: Roz
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 6:54 pm

Lesser Sulfur Crested Too and Bare Eyed Too. I love bare eyeds.... but their looks :x

Margaret, what's a Zoon? RogerP
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 7:03 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Lesser Sulfur Crested Too and Bare Eyed Too. I love bare eyeds.... but their looks :x

AAAaahhh got it. I know that I'd have heard of each of those birds, I just couldn't put two and two together. And yeah... the Bare Eyeds look like they went one round too many in the boxing ring...
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 7:07 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Margaret, what's a Zoon? RogerP
Should be 'zon I know Wink
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 8:06 pm

what got me infatuated with amazons was having "conversations" with the one where I work. She talks at me, sings(hilariously), laughs, chatters and competes to be louder. Very funny plus she's a complete sweetheart if she likes you. She has a crush on my friend and acts all girly when she's around, trying to get scratches and to be held. If she doesn't like you, well, watch out. She can be a force to be reckoned with. She once ran down a stick someone was holding, bit them hard enough for them to drop her and once on the floor she chased after them trying to attack their feet. She has an instant dislike or like of most people, others she's neutral to. But thats just one amazon and she's in a situation where she's constantly around new people.
I went to a bird store a while back and there were plenty of zons. One had learned raising his foot got people to come over and pick him up. He was such an awesome bird, I played with him and fell completely in love yellowCrZon another nice thing about amazons is they're easy to read with expressive body language and such
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Oddly, I am so over the birds that talk. It was a novelty in the early days. Now I just really can't stand hearing "people" talking all day long. I much more enjoy whatever the birds' natural vocalizations are, even if they're loud and raucous.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:43 pm

I know what you mean- I never quite understood people who'd get parrots specifically so they'd have a talking pet. I had an encounter with an african grey as a child who sounded like a person trapped in a bird body and it totally creeped me out, ever since I wasn't one for talking parrots. Now I think it's cute when other peoples parrots talk but I prefer living with my screechy little conure who can't say a thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:50 pm

I love all bird noises, the screaming, chattering, keeting, and conversations. wee
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 10:41 pm

I wa sgoing to let Josie handle this but i 'll throw in my 2 cents worth.First, macaws toos AGs and zons are long lived birds that are very social, more so than other pet birds(no offense)they generally mate for life and are much like kids, being a product of their environment, we need to develop good social skills early in life and so do they.these types of birds have a habit of bonding to one person and fighting all others (just like in the wild) All of that being said i feel zons are more adaptable than some of the others and can handle "family life" better. The secret is early socialization.Zons all have different personalities so meet as many as you can.Normally young birds are clingy and you need to cive them some alone time or else they exspect to be the center of attention the rest of their life.Teenagers 6mos/5yrs seem to be rough and tumble and play alot, Mature birds seem more laid back but still can get very excited.Zons seem to be happiest in a active/engaging envrionment with an outgoing owner, they like to be part of the flock and engage the other birds(singing,dancing, carrying on etc).The classic rehomed bird had a little old lady owner who was the only one who can handle it and sits bored in a cage.An ignored Zon quickly picks up bad habits, biting,plucking, etc, However plucking is not a trait normally associated with healthy zons.Generally speaking they are easy to read but they are smart and can foolyou if they want to.I have one that will only bite you if she can hold your finger in her claw,other wise you can pet her or that ever but don't let her grab a hold of your finger, (she's a breeder ,not a pet) I can not say enough about how sweet and cuddly these birds can be,my Jake likes most people (you can tell the ones she doesn't) will go with anyone for petting and play. The noise, in the AM and the PM we usually have a 15-20 minutes span where everyone goes off, if we had only one bird it would rarely happen, but with a flock one bird will get the rest going, even birds that are quiet though out the day will join in.I admit i'm a bit bias about the zons having ben around them my whole life but they are truly unique and amazing companion birds.I hope i didn't ramble too much and will be happy to answer any questions.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback!
It really seems you're the only one who talks about how cuddly they can be, anywhere else always says that Amazons are generally hands-off birds.
Do you think you could run around the living room and wrestle around with a zon, like you would with a 'too or a macaw?
In homes where there isn't a flock of zons, how often do they vocalize? Are they birds who generally enjoy screaming for the heck of it?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:41 am

GlassOnion wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!
It really seems you're the only one who talks about how cuddly they can be, anywhere else always says that Amazons are generally hands-off birds.
Do you think you could run around the living room and wrestle around with a zon, like you would with a 'too or a macaw?
In homes where there isn't a flock of zons, how often do they vocalize? Are they birds who generally enjoy screaming for the heck of it?

My prior boss has a single DY zon. It was wild caught. I don't remember how long he said it took to tame her down. She's very cuddly with him - hugging and head scritches. She got along well with the new wife. They've had the bird over 25 years.

Noisewise - she had their number. She vocalized (I won't say scream - she didn't scream, she just went through her whole repetoire of sounds) non-stop unless she was within 5 feet of him or the wife-it was loud. The constancy of the noise did make everyone crazy including my boss and his wife as they constantly told her to shut up (which of course, she didn't) and then they'd give in and hold the bird or put the bird on a stand closer to them. I think this was a bad habit they let her get into because I bird sat for them on many occasions and she did not vocalize non-stop when I was watching her. I bird sat her in her own home so it wasn't because she was in a strange place.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:54 am

i really don't known what tosay, The zons are the best compaionion birds that' i can think of.yes they are very smart and are hard totrain. but that being said they arethe best buddies you can ever have.but i'm a bit bias.
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:09 am

moa wrote:
She has an instant dislike or like of most people, others she's neutral to. But thats just one amazon and she's in a situation where she's constantly around new people.
I went to a bird store a while back and there were plenty of zons. One had learned raising his foot got people to come over and pick him up. He was such an awesome bird, I played with him and fell completely in love Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) 3448134902 another nice thing about amazons is they're easy to read with expressive body language and such

15 seconds is the natural rule lOL they will make up their mind and no amount of cajoling is going to change it. They also practice this with potential mates they either like or hate the other bird. They cuddle and preen you Jake can be often seen laying on her back on Richard's chest playing "footsie" or just getting a belly rub much like a dog, as much as she cares for me this is not a game we share. Playtime is ALWAYS an option for them they are smart and genuinely caring of the people they own. They are also easily bored and toys are never enough. Time if only a few minutes here and there is like cookies to kids. Being left alone can be mentally disasterous and cause screaming and biting "never pet them until they are done, stop in time to keep them wanting more" is Richards mantra and it works every time with every 'zon. I have a few that refuse to speak they are just NOT interested and the ones that do seem to know just how the words or songs fit into conversation. OK I get it I am most definately hooked on 'zons guessing you can tell by now. We get the am and pm sounds...some talk and the OWA's screech...but for the most part it is a game of "I can say this...what can you say?" They also don't seem have too hurt feelings when their favorite is away then returns...they are still very much in love.
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:14 am

Use caution when teaching them to talk...you can teach them anything except how to shut up.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:15 pm

A little more about the noise, most don't scream and sreech, except the OWA and that's because they are wild caught breeders ,they do make some parrot sounds but most of it is quieter vocalizations,begging food,attention,alarm etc.The ones that talk,talk a lot the ones that don't talk much like Kong the panama,do more mummling,murmurring,sounds like human voice just can't quite make it out,but it's quiet,low key stuff.I think the quakers and IRNs make more racket.Amazons don't pick up on nonhuman sounds near as much as CAGs which mimic everything,and zons show a real passion for singing.They love to sing.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 8:00 pm

If I ever in my life will be lucky enough to keep Amazon, I will for sure give him/her one of the names after you guys. All the falling in love for them happened after Capt "Jakie and Yellow bird" video yahoo
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Margaret wrote:
If I ever in my life will be lucky enough to keep Amazon, I will for sure give him/her one of the names after you guys. All the falling in love for them happened after Capt "Jakie and Yellow bird" video Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) 2154879677
Just think that is just a small part of the antics Smile Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) 2661947118 Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) 4243088848 Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) 726337777 and believe me you NEVER stop falling I love you
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:33 pm

I want an Amazon now, do you think keeping one in an apartment would be a nono? :affraid: :affraid: :affraid:
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:36 pm

The most you both talk about them, the more and deeper I'm falling Wink I'm following already every Amazon info I can find...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) Empty

Back to top Go down

Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next