Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bird Boarding Business

Go down 
+2
GlassOnion
atlanon
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Bird Boarding Business Empty
PostSubject: Bird Boarding Business   Bird Boarding Business EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Okay guys. I have been dreaming of ways to work with birds for years now, and it finally dawned on me. Start a home business boarding/sitting birds!!!! I mean, I am a total dumbass over the legal stuff. I wouldn't know where to start other then putting the word out there in my bird circles.

I have no idea what to charge, and I have no animal education. I just love birds, understand birds, and want to offer a loving and safe place for peoples fids when they work/vacation. Would you board your bird with someone like me? (honesty please!) Someone with no real training or education, just a passion and hands on knowledge via their own flock?

Is this stupid?
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Bird Boarding Business   Bird Boarding Business EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 5:15 pm

That sounds like an AWESOME idea!!!! Honestly, I dread the day I'm forced to board Yoshi at a vet's office or pet shop, I don't understand how people do that and hope I never have to. His breeder boards any birds that were bought from her for $5 a day, but I'm sure that's a courtesy and you could make more as a business taking in other people's birds. The only thing I would worry about is quarantining issues, I'm not sure how they do it at regular boarders, but I'm sure there's some sort of method.

Julie's Jungle!!! Very Happy flappinhappy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace

PostSubject: Re: Bird Boarding Business   Bird Boarding Business EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm

^Aww, love that!

I'm guessing if I took the bird into my home I would keep it in a seperate part or require a vet clean bill of health?
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Bird Boarding Business   Bird Boarding Business EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Awesome idea! I was actually planning to do that a few months ago, but ot too lazy to act it out.
What a great way to interact with different birds! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Bird Boarding Business   Bird Boarding Business EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:03 pm

I wouldn't trust my birds in another person's home. It's nothing against you, but how am I supposed to know a person can properly care for them? What if they use teflon? or have their parrot's mingle with mine, and end up getting each other sick or getting into a fight?

I would be interested in a bird sitter. Someone who would visit my home daily, and interact with them for a few hours, feed them, have them in their normal cages in their home environment.

I had someone come in every day and interact with my birds while I was in Mexico earlier this year. Everyone was happy and healthy when I got back home.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bird Boarding Business   Bird Boarding Business EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:13 pm

^I guess you never really know. Those are questions any responsible owner would ask and expect of a boarder. I would offer sitting as well. I keep a bird (and kid!) friendly home, anyone who visited or took the time to talk to me would know that. I'd also make all that clear on my website. I'd also make sure I was bonded/insured.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Bird Boarding Business   Bird Boarding Business EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 7:58 pm

I've seen a couple of boarding businesses, but they have a lot of space at their disposal. Each bird has a separate "room" and cage set up and one giant free flight area.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Bird Boarding Business   Bird Boarding Business EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:49 pm

I think you could do it Julsie! I'd be more comfortable boarding with a private individual than the bird shops as SO many birds come and go out of a shop.

I couldn't do it for the same reason I couldn't foster - too many birds of unknown background coming and going.

The Purring Parrot here in San Diego does bird boarding and they require testing for PBFD, psittacosis, and polyoma:
http://www.thepurringparrot.com/resortpages/birdlodging.html
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Bird Boarding Business   Bird Boarding Business EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:01 pm

I was vaguely thinking of a bird boarding business! It would be cool but I was wondering about disease prevention. If you do end up doing this it would be nice to have extra cages for people who can't bring their cages or don't have smaller travel cages & just disinfect them thoroughly between uses. My local bird store boards birds cheeply but they're a bit iffy... I think I'd be more comfortable with an individual watching rainbow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bird Boarding Business   Bird Boarding Business Empty

Back to top Go down

Bird Boarding Business
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Off Topic Posts :: Non-Parrot Discussions-
Jump to: