Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Play Stand Construction questions.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Play Stand Construction questions. Empty
PostSubject: Play Stand Construction questions.   Play Stand Construction questions. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am

I'm planning on building a playstand for my birds since the store bought ones are crazy expensive. I have a cheap Mainstays end table from Walmart that is made out of plastic and particle board that I don't mind being ruined. I've been planning on using untreated pine dowels for perches and construction.

I showed my boyfriend these plans and he's of the opinion that using the particle board table is a big mistake and drilling through it to attach the second tier is going to ruin the base. I'm not handy at all, so has anyone tried this? Is anyone married to or living with someone handy that has tried this?

Also, he said he could weld metal perches for the playstand and use an epoxy to make them sturdy. I'm not sure I'm a real big fan of this idea. Who knows if epoxy is bird safe? I sure don't, and I'm thinking that he certainly doesn't either. And besides, I like the fact that the birds shred appropriate wood surfaces. It keeps them from shredding anything else they can get their beaks around.

So, my questions..
1. Particle board, yea or nay?
2. Epoxy safe for birds?
3. What type of welds do you use?
4. Bird safe woods that are inexpensive?
5. Other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Play Stand Construction questions.   Play Stand Construction questions. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 2:52 am

I'll send you PM with suggestions Wink
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Play Stand Construction questions.   Play Stand Construction questions. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 2:54 am

1. Particle board, yea or nay? Depends on what the binder used is. . . I guess🤔 I don't know if that can even be determined. I've used particle board for nest boxes. Never had a problem. I don't anymore just because they chew through it too fast.
2. Epoxy safe for birds? Depends thinking I use "child safe" as my guideline. So if the product says it'll be safe after it's completely cured, then probably. Can you use aquarium sealant? That's safe after it's fully cured.
3. What type of welds do you use? No idea, so I guess my answer is - I don't thinking
4. Bird safe woods that are inexpensive? Pine. Pine remnants from HomeDepot. I don't think pine's generally treated with anything, but double check as some woods are treated for insect resistance. Inexpensive place to get supplies - Habitat for Humanity Re-Store (basically an outlet/thrift store w/ building supplies)
5. Other suggestions? Use "child safe" as a general guideline.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: Play Stand Construction questions.   Play Stand Construction questions. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 3:00 am

Particle board no it is a blend of wood and chemicals try this...and VERY inexpensive a water heater pan they can be gotten at your hardware store (home depot) and are easy to drill into as well as being easy to clean. They also carry untreated hardwood dowels that have a longer survival rate than pine.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Play Stand Construction questions.   Play Stand Construction questions. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:22 am

My birds tree- just in subject:

Tree
Play Stand Construction questions. Tree

Tree with Chico
Play Stand Construction questions. Tree_chico1

Tree with Chico 2(busy chewing)
Play Stand Construction questions. Tree_chico2

Blue rope was bought in dollar store, white in craft store on some sale. Rest is or from dollar store, or some sale or birds fair. I'm sorry that I couldn't make pics of single budgie there, but they really go on that tree. There was HIDDING HERE AT THAT MOMENT Smile Chico was terrible afraid of the coconut mouth at the beginning, also home made by my bf, but now her fear gone :LyzGrace:
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: Play Stand Construction questions.   Play Stand Construction questions. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Margaret I love love your ideas and am going to steal some of them for my 'ties when they need monkey skills practice Very Happy The 'zons would have it in toothpics in just about 10 minutes Shocked . I have a very cool branch from a pistachio tree trimming that we picked up in Arizona that the "zons just love and don't seem to have done much more than peeeled it.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Play Stand Construction questions.   Play Stand Construction questions. EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:59 pm

flappinhappy wrote:
The 'zons would have it in toothpics in just about 10 minutes Shocked .
I don't want to imagine how fast all of the 'zons you have would change that tree in a one wood peace Yes
That tree was my bf's idea Wink For small birds is okay. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play Stand Construction questions.   Play Stand Construction questions. Empty

Back to top Go down

Play Stand Construction questions.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Housing :: Housing, Aviary & Housing DIY-
Jump to: