Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Let's talk about Sun Conures

Go down 
+3
GlassOnion
atlanon
MrDarcy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MrDarcy
Budgerigar
MrDarcy

My Birds : Mr. Darcy a Hahn's Macaw
my baby Meyer's parrot.....coming soon

Let's talk about Sun Conures Empty
PostSubject: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:00 pm

So, I have a Hahn's, Mr Darcy he will be 1 year old next week. My husband thinks I should get another bird for him so he has a companion. I was bouncing around with breeds and I think I may have settled on the Sun Conure. They are the same size, both from Brazil, same temperment I think....same diet, there is one at a Breeder here in Vancouver. So I need to know the down side.......Oh and what do we think for price, the breeder is asking $700. not sure on DNA etc yet....
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:08 pm

What's with all these people that have husbands who tell them they need more birds?? Razz

I've had a sun conure, but there are a lot of people on here who are conure connoisseurs, so I'll let them give detailed feedback. All I'll share is... NOISE. Loud, ear-piercing noise. And... I haven't searched conures from breeders much, but $700 seems kind of steep. That could just be me, though, Roz could better give you an idea of what to look at paying.

Good luck on your birdie search!!! As soon as you find your baby we will ONLY be happy for you if you post pictures Razz Make Photo
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:16 pm

From what I know, Suns are a lot more laid back than Hahnsies.
I also know which breeder you're talking about Wink
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:23 pm

ACK! I just typed this whole thing and it went away to nowhere land.

K, so I can't remember all the stuff I said. LOL Being owned by a Sun is...unique. They can and will be loud...just not all day everyday. You've probably read around here that mine hardly makes a peep (he DOES sound though. LOL Like today when I went straight to the potty when I got in, instead of straight in to say hi. He saw the hubby and then called for me. No big)

As far as foods, he LOVES oranges. Oatmeal and whole wheat bread are also a favorite for him. Fruits and veggies are coming back in to the mix as well. Though anything going into my mouth has to go into his...he gets very upset if this does not happen (how do you tell a bird that you're taking medicine?)

Many people have said that they don't talk...Aries does...sometimes at length. He has a little radio static voice, but he does talk and is REALLY good at "hello" and laughing. My laugh, not the hubs.

He goes to bed around 7 each night (by his own choice). We do cover him to give him a good amount of dark. He wakes with us as well, if he's awake before we get up he just scuttles around the cage or preens. When he was a baby he would get up at 5am...and let me know full well that it was time to be awake.

He is kind of fearless. He didn't mind any of the animals at my grandparents house...well, he didn't like their Doxie/Chi/Terrier mix...but she's old and grumpy. They are VERY big personalities and will take advantage of you if you're not careful. They push boundaries and will develop nasty little attitudes if they are allowed to. He ran my grandparent's house when they kept him for me for a while. He'd do anything for attention and affection.

They're really big birds in a little body. They think they're HUGE...Aries doesn't realize how tiny he really is Wink
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 1:01 am

MandaDPanda wrote:
That keeps happening to me!! Anyone else having that problem here on this forum?

MandaDPanda wrote:
K, so I can't remember all the stuff I said. LOL Being owned by a Sun is...unique. They can and will be loud...just not all day everyday. You've probably read around here that mine hardly makes a peep (he DOES sound though. LOL Like today when I went straight to the potty when I got in, instead of straight in to say hi. He saw the hubby and then called for me. No big)
Yep. I've lived with the little boogers for over 20 years (suns and jendays. Pretty much the same.) I strongly, strongly believe the excessive screaming is a bad learned behavior problem. But they do seem to be Master Jedi in their ability to train their humans to respond to screaming and biting. None of mine have ever been "screamers". I'm sitting 5 ft away (again) from Ducky and two babies (10 weeks old and 12 weeks old). Not a peep again. Yesterday I was on the phone with someone and I had to poke one of the suns to make it squawk so she could hear I had birds. When the do vocalize, it is loud and a piercing noise. Go find a mature adult and listen to it scream. If your first response is to cringe - don't get one. If your first response is, that's not so bad - you'll probably be do just fine.

MandaDPanda wrote:
Many people have said that they don't talk...Aries does...sometimes at length. He has a little radio static voice, but he does talk and is REALLY good at "hello" and laughing. My laugh, not the hubs.
I've never heard one talk. Talking's never been important to me. Apparently I sold a baby that talked. I never heard it, but apparently it go to it's new home and said "Hi" immediately.

MandaDPanda wrote:
He goes to bed around 7 each night (by his own choice). We do cover him to give him a good amount of dark. He wakes with us as well, if he's awake before we get up he just scuttles around the cage or preens. When he was a baby he would get up at 5am...and let me know full well that it was time to be awake.
They seem to tend to like to go to bed as soon as it gets dark. They don't seem to enjoy being kept up late.

MandaDPanda wrote:
He is kind of fearless. He didn't mind any of the animals at my grandparents house...well, he didn't like their Doxie/Chi/Terrier mix...but she's old and grumpy. They are VERY big personalities and will take advantage of you if you're not careful. They push boundaries and will develop nasty little attitudes if they are allowed to. He ran my grandparent's house when they kept him for me for a while. He'd do anything for attention and affection.
Pretty much. I wish my digital camera didn't fart and erase the pic of Ducky with a camel.

MandaDPanda wrote:
They're really big birds in a little body. They think they're HUGE...Aries doesn't realize how tiny he really is Wink
They can be little poop heads and start lunging, attacking and biting people they don't like. Again, this is a behavior problem. Set boundaries. Don't let them do stuff like that.

Price - I charge $400 which includes a very basic cage, food and vet check. I'm not the cheapest in my area which is fine with me. I'm not desperate to ditch my babies and the high price is a good flake/impulse eliminator. If all you want is a cheap bird, then it's not about the bird if that makes any sense. Prices vary by region and availability. I've seen them closer to $700-900 in northern California.

Last edited by patdbunny on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add about pricing)
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 9:45 am

patdbunny wrote:
MandaDPanda wrote:
That keeps happening to me!! Anyone else having that problem here on this forum?

This happens because someone has posted a reply before you and you need to "save" your post again. You should get a message on the following page after you click post to save the message.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 12:11 pm

But I've saved it everytime...and it STILL disappears Sad
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 1:16 pm

On the original topic...as many have said, Suns are fabulous little birds. We have several at the rescue, too bad you aren't closer. I adore them and before I became involved with birds, that was the kind of bird I wanted. Funny I never got one, but I have a feeling I will eventually.

One thing I will warn you against with Hahn's, owning 2 myself... they have very strong napolean complexes and tend to try to overpower other birds no matter the size. They become very dominant and territorial, so you have to be careful (and I wouldn't house them in the same cage no matter what). We adopted Ecko a couple of years back thinking that Pickle could use a friend and they simply tolerate each other. Though younger, Pickle is the dominant spoiled one and it was his house first, so he tends to get pissy when Ecko is in his space. we have had to break up some fights, so you have to watch them all the time when they are loose together.

Suns can be equally as pissy about their owners and space. So just be careful regardless of what bird you choose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 1:32 pm

Vikki wrote:
Suns can be equally as pissy about their owners and space. So just be careful regardless of what bird you choose.
Yes. But truly, the suns are a lot more bark than bite. They very easily acquiesce to boundaries you insist upon. The suns just bark really loud and I think people tend to get intimidated and let them have their way. Again - they're Master Jedi. I've seen senegals that were a lot more bullheaded when they decided they wanted to be aggressive.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Oh definitely, and in comparison, I'd rather be chewed up by a Sun than a Hahn's anyday.... little brats. LOL Hahn's are a lot of bark, but they have equal the amount of bite. I would just be worried that the hahn's would hurt the Sun.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Vikki wrote:
I would just be worried that the hahn's would hurt the Sun.

That's too bad. My daughter would love to have a hahn's. I'd always read they were sweethearts. Love hearing it first hand from people who live with them to get the real scoop.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Hahn's are very sweet birds, don't get me wrong. They aren't vicious by any means. Like most any animal, that kind of behavior is inherent through their handling and owners I feel. But I do know that they can be nippy and have very sharp, damaging beaks. I have more scars from Pickle than I do from my full sized macaws (who tend to bruise not draw blood). Granted, Bryan has had Pickle since he was weaned and he's had him for 15 yrs, so he's a spoiled little brat. Bryan can and does do anything he wants to with Pickle... stick him under his shirt, hang him upside down, and Pickle won't bite him at all. He'll nip when he gets aggravated but he has never bitten Bryan. Me... he loved me for the first 8 or 9 months after Bryan moved in, would fly to me, perch on my shoulder while I did stuff, let me scritch and kiss him.... but now I can't touch him... at all. If Bryan and I are sitting on the couch and he's on Bryan's shoulder, he charges me if I get too close and will bite hard.

Ecko on the other hand, sweet as sweet can be. Though he is 25 yrs old and has been passed around all his life, so he probably has lost what attitude he had as a Hahn's by being treated poorly for it. I can kiss and cuddle him all I want. Yes, he can get nippy too, but he would never draw blood and hasn't.

All I am saying is that they have big attitudes and relatively sharp beaks that can do damage given the chance and that their owners have to be wary of those two important facts in the rearing of them.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:15 pm

I will say...that I do agree that Suns are a LOT of bark. They will make you think they are going to KILL YOU!!!! But really the most they'll do it lunge and possibly bite. I've seen it to be Aries last resort, not the first thing he does.

That being said, the last time he bit, was my brother (whom is hanging with him in a picture in my gallery). Seth wanted him to step up, and being a little bit of a shy 17 year old, Aries was not going to have any of it and sank a good bite, not big...but it blistered. Bites from Aries hurt...even when he doesn't mean to do it hard, simply because of his beak.

Aries is just one of the species though. Today he thought it was a good day to let his voice be heard, so he called out to hubbs a couple time at lunch. But, we don't let it go on for very long, he straight up yells at my grandparents...they let him.

I think a parrot is a parrot. Kind of not matter the species, you get the little tude and sometimes a little jerk. If you can, hang out with a few before you decide anything. They'll all be different. Make sure you can handle the yells, because they will happen, no matter if you have a quiet guy or not.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about Sun Conures   Let's talk about Sun Conures Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about Sun Conures
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: Parrot Species-
Jump to: