Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Baby-sitting a... baby?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

Baby-sitting a... baby? Empty
PostSubject: Baby-sitting a... baby?   Baby-sitting a... baby? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:45 am

So... I just responded to a craigslist ad and am having second thoughts...

I browse CL for the heck of it and have actually be able to respond to a few people who just had posts with genuine questions about the care of their birds and I referred them here. This ad particularly caught my eye because it had " Eclectus female " in it Very Happy She's looking for a baby sitter for three days for her female ekkie who is still being handfed. She did ask that the person have hand-feeding experience, which I don't, and I told her as much, but said that if she was in a bind and really needed somebody to give me a call since it sounded like a bit of an emergency situation.

As soon as I sent the email I second-guessed myself. I don't know how old the baby is, but she said it's down to 3 feedings a day, so it can't be that young. I'm worried about quarantining, obviously... not only keeping Yoshi free from anything she may bring in, but God forbid I offer to help this lady, bring the baby into my house and have HER contract something. What would my liability be??

I feel bad for this lady if she's in an emergency situation and needs to fly out to help family or something and don't know what I'd do with an unweaned baby at home. But is this just plain a bad idea? WayConfused
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Baby-sitting a... baby?   Baby-sitting a... baby? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 am

At least you'll have a pleasure to hand-feed baby!
But I'll be careful (quarantine)
Probably in a moment Roz will respond Wink
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Baby-sitting a... baby?   Baby-sitting a... baby? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:52 am

LyzGrace wrote:
So... I just responded to a craigslist ad and am having second thoughts...

I browse CL for the heck of it and have actually be able to respond to a few people who just had posts with genuine questions about the care of their birds and I referred them here. This ad particularly caught my eye because it had " Eclectus female " in it Very Happy She's looking for a baby sitter for three days for her female ekkie who is still being handfed. She did ask that the person have hand-feeding experience, which I don't, and I told her as much, but said that if she was in a bind and really needed somebody to give me a call since it sounded like a bit of an emergency situation.

As soon as I sent the email I second-guessed myself. I don't know how old the baby is, but she said it's down to 3 feedings a day, so it can't be that young. I'm worried about quarantining, obviously... not only keeping Yoshi free from anything she may bring in, but God forbid I offer to help this lady, bring the baby into my house and have HER contract something. What would my liability be??

I feel bad for this lady if she's in an emergency situation and needs to fly out to help family or something and don't know what I'd do with an unweaned baby at home. But is this just plain a bad idea? WayConfused

Small claims court for the value of a dead bird or vet bills. I would think that would be about it.

Personally, if she's got a handfeeding baby she should have a support network to handfeed for her in a pinch. It's not really making a lot of sense that she's looking on CL for a handfeeder, unless she's a breeder looking for an intern/employee.

Adding - Something to consider. You haven't had Yoshi that long. You and Yoshi are still bonding. Sometimes you bring in a new bird and it messes with flock dynamics/how your original bird reacts to you, etc. Sometimes this ends up being some sort of weird permanent change even after the temporary bird goes home. Yoshi doesn't know this baby is just there for 3 days. You might want to establish a good reliable bond with Yoshi before doing anything like this. You can't explain to a bird that you're just doing someone a favor for a few days.

Last edited by patdbunny on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Flock Dynamics)
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Baby-sitting a... baby?   Baby-sitting a... baby? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:58 am

Haha, you ARE a fortune teller, Margaret Very Happy

patdbunny wrote:
Small claims court for the value of a dead bird or vet bills. I would think that would be about it.
That's what I thought, I can't afford that though Razz I'd probably ask to write up and sign a sort of formal release, I'd feel really impersonal and paranoid doing that, you just don't know with people these days.

patdbunny wrote:
Personally, if she's got a handfeeding baby she should have a support network to handfeed for her in a pinch. It's not really making a lot of sense that she's looking on CL for a handfeeder, unless she's a breeder looking for an intern/employee.
I just assumed she was someone who took the cheaper route and got an unweaned baby from a breeder who does that... maybe she just doesn't have any birdy friends. If Yoshi's breeder wasn't local I'd probably be in the same boat if I had to leave unexpectedly.

patdbunny wrote:
Adding - Something to consider. You haven't had Yoshi that long. You and Yoshi are still bonding. Sometimes you bring in a new bird and it messes with flock dynamics/how your original bird reacts to you, etc. Sometimes this ends up being some sort of weird permanent change even after the temporary bird goes home. Yoshi doesn't know this baby is just there for 3 days. You might want to establish a good reliable bond with Yoshi before doing anything like this. You can't explain to a bird that you're just doing someone a favor for a few days.
I thought of that, too, I don't want to screw him up, either. As much as I'd like to, I'm hoping she doesn't need me, it just makes me nervous. I hope she joins the forum, though - I linked her to it!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Baby-sitting a... baby?   Baby-sitting a... baby? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 2:06 am

...and I have so much to learn...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Baby-sitting a... baby?   Baby-sitting a... baby? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 am

Could you do it at her house for her?
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Baby-sitting a... baby?   Baby-sitting a... baby? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:23 am

All I can say is.. If you do it, take a lotta pictures Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Baby-sitting a... baby?   Baby-sitting a... baby? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
Could you do it at her house for her?
That would be a do-able idea.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby-sitting a... baby?   Baby-sitting a... baby? Empty

Back to top Go down

Baby-sitting a... baby?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum