Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What does a molt look like?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

What does a molt look like? Empty
PostSubject: What does a molt look like?   What does a molt look like? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:39 pm

OK, here I go showing my ignorance again. I found some spray (Parrot Bath Spray by Mango Pet Products) that has "Aloe, Omega 3, and Omega 6 oils in a non-residual blend" that seems to have made Bucky much more comfortable. However, while he's preening (which I closely observe), I've noticed that he still pulls some feathers out. Yesterday and the day before he pulled out two feathers from his inner wing area which appear to be identical. I didn't notice if they were from opposite sides, which I understand is important in the molting process. Also, he didn't squawk when he pulled them out. He just reached around, found the feather and nipped it on out - no big production.

Anyway, my question is - do birds pull out feathers when they're molting too? I know he's been plucking under his wings and around his legs because he has bald spots, and that's not normal. But I'm wondering if he's beginning a molt at the same time. Do any of my more experienced comrades have any feedback for me on this subject? Again, thanks for help. You don't know how I appreciate you.

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: What does a molt look like?   What does a molt look like? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Oh yes. If they are preening and come across a loose feather it will fall out and it kind of looks as if it might have been plucked. I've seen this happen with one of Scooter's long tail feathers and then the feather got used for a toy for a bit. Makes my husband crazy, he's afraid using feathers as toys will encourage plucking, but I'm not so sure. As far as I can tell they aren't PERFECTLY symmetric in the molt, but they are very close to symmetric. So for example the same flight feather on left and right won't drop at exactly the same time, but if the left one goes, the right one will probably go before another left one does, so they stay kind of balanced.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: What does a molt look like?   What does a molt look like? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:29 pm

I hate when they go through it. Clyde lost the longest tail feather, and was starting to look more like a parrotlet.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: What does a molt look like?   What does a molt look like? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 pm

During a molt they're practically falling apart, raining feathers. Ducky will shake himself and several feathers will poof off of him. He has a broken tail feather right now and it's killing me not to pull it out of his butt. Yes, when they're preening and there's a loose feather, out it comes.

Preen him with your fingers. If he's molting, a few feathers will probably easily come out when you're preening him. Right now's the time for it. Most of my birds are dropping feathers right now. And no, they don't necessarily molt symmetrically.

Did the vet say anything about the plucking starting right after starting the worming? Allergic reaction to the wormer/worms? Not sure if you can use a mild hydrocoritisone spray.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

My Birds : Sputnik - Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: What does a molt look like?   What does a molt look like? EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 12:21 pm

zazanomore wrote:
I hate when they go through it. Clyde lost the longest tail feather, and was starting to look more like a parrotlet.

Very Happy That's what I think makes Sputnik so funny looking too! He goes from having such a long, graceful look to a chubby, stubby little chicken/parrotlet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What does a molt look like?   What does a molt look like? Empty

Back to top Go down

What does a molt look like?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: General Care & Information-
Jump to: