Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out? Empty
PostSubject: How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out?   How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 12:39 am

Scotty is getting pretty good at foraging. Each morning I put some nuts in some kind of foraging device, and he gets them. At this point he can gleefully tear up paper boxes and he's figured out the cup-style forager I have. I also have some more complicated ones that require turning sections to release the contents, and these he seems dead set on trying to brute-force no matter how many times I try to show him how it works. Do you just let them get frustrated?
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out?   How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 12:45 am

Check out www.cavalierbirdtoys.com
They have some awesome foraging devices.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out?   How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 1:05 am

I totally misunderstood the post, oops! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out?   How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 1:25 am

scotty's method sounds like rainbow's, she ends up beating everything up when she can't get the food out (which actually does work eventually for just about all the foraging I have in her cage right now). I'm interested to hear what other people have to say on this, I'll show rainbow how to do something a couple of times showing her the treat going in just so she doesn't give up right away. Sometimes I make it easier, like not putting the lid on all the way so she can pop it off easier then after she's had a success I put it on all the way so she has to chew and work at it more. For the more complicated toys can you have it so it is 90% figured out for him so he doesn't have to do much, just tap the part thats supposed to turn or something, then once he gets that part make it so he has to do more and more of the work?
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out?   How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 2:24 am

Parrot Treasures makes foraging toys that look like they'd be good for advanced foraging.

That said, I really have no idea. My guys aren't much in the way of foraging.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out?   How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 1:37 pm

I really haven't used complicated foraging devices that are store bought. With our old goffin, if it got too easy I just added layers so it took more effort. I don't think all birds are necessarily interested in figuring complicated things out even if they're mentally capable. Kinda like there are smart people that aren't interested in thinking through some things, and go to trying brute force.

When I say layers, what I did for the goffin was putting food in a clean tube sock. She quickly figured out to put a hole in it to get her food. When it good too easy for her like that I'd double and triple up the socks so it was thicker and she had to really chew to get into it. Possibly more natural for them? They're smart, but are they solving difficult problems to get their food in the wild or is the problem solving skill used to locate food and then they possibly have to do some brute force chewing to get the food? Just thoughts.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out?   How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you help more advanced foragers figure new things out?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: Foraging & Enrichment-
Jump to: