Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tell me about the AFA and the ASA

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Tell me about the AFA and the ASA Empty
PostSubject: Tell me about the AFA and the ASA   Tell me about the AFA and the ASA EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:37 pm

There appear to be two us based aviculture associations. I want to up my reading, so I'd like to get the journals. Can anybody give me any insight into the differences between the two organizations?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the AFA and the ASA   Tell me about the AFA and the ASA EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm a member of the AFA, but not ASA. I've been meaning to join ASA, but keep forgetting. Not completely sure of the differences. "Seems" like AFA is more proactive about legislative concerns.

The ASA meetings are in Rosemead so maybe you can go check it out and give us the scoop?

I'm going to go hit the ASA "join now" button while I'm thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the AFA and the ASA   Tell me about the AFA and the ASA EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Okay, so after I posted my reply it occurred to me that I've been volunteering w/ AFA doing some online research. So I emailed my contact w/ the AFA and posed your question. Keep in mind that I'm sure the following is not any sort of "official" AFA position statement, but here's the response:

ASA started out as a bird club and still is. I think they are even older than AFA. They are open to all aviculturists, but are devoted more to breeders. In recent years they have also have had a yearly convention.

AFA probably also started as a bird club but later became a federation of many bird clubs. Around the time they started, the government was euthanizing large numbers of parrots because of a Newcastle disease epidemic (which the parrots never contracted). They fought very hard in legislature to have the euthanizations stopped. And that started our constant battle with anti-bird legislation throughout the country. AFA is a more diverse membership which represents breeders, pet owners, conservationists, behaviorists and many others.

In modern times AFA and ASA work cooperatively to try to fight bad legislature. It is good to have as many groups as possible to speak against these bills. They are both good organizations and work side by side many times.

I encourage everybody to join AFA (and I am sure Steve Duncan would encourage everyone to join ASA). We need as many members as possible to represent aviculture at legislative meetings and accomplish all the work that need to be done. The more members – the more we can do.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the AFA and the ASA   Tell me about the AFA and the ASA EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 11:29 pm

Cool Roz, that was very helpful! I've joined both. I really want to read the publications, if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the AFA and the ASA   Tell me about the AFA and the ASA EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 am

That actually WAS helpful. I've been looking at the two myself and couldn't tell what the difference was either.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the AFA and the ASA   Tell me about the AFA and the ASA EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:38 am

I 've been a AFA member for a long time, though not very active,Josie is working to be certified by them ,On a side note they (both organizations)need our support.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the AFA and the ASA   Tell me about the AFA and the ASA EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I just completed my AFA intermediate certification. Tell me about the AFA and the ASA 800892966
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the AFA and the ASA   Tell me about the AFA and the ASA Empty

Back to top Go down

Tell me about the AFA and the ASA
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: General Care & Information-
Jump to: