Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 10:26 am

Yeah a Psych Degree and a handful of videos help, but it won't make you an expert, there's more to it than that.There's no substitute for experience, the school of hard knocks will teach you much.I'm no trainer, tamer maybe, but not a trainer. Don't be taken in by a loud pompous ass hawking his wares with a website and a video.Learn how to bond with your pet and it will do most anything to please you. There's no magic pill here,just an open mind and lots of parrot lovin.

Last edited by henpecked on Thu May 19, 2011 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 10:29 am

*applause*
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 2:42 pm

Oooohhh. . . I can't do the taming thing. Which is odd. I can take a big nasty bite, but I hate taming. I'm more into teaching the birdies "life skills" on living with humans. There's "in a perfect world" and then there's this one. I don't think it's realistic to expect all humans in our lives are willing to work with out birds that go out of their way to attack them. Sometimes it is about behavior management for the safety of all involved and so the bird doesn't lose another home.

Henpecked - I've learned a lot from reading your posts about amazons. Of all the birds I've been around the amazons are the only ones that "scare" me. Not truly "scare" but I just didn't understand them. Now I do. I'm too "in your face" in personality for them. My husband on the other hand I think would do great with an amazon. Too bad he's not interest in a pet bird just for himself.

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm personally not interested in trick training my birds. It's just not appealing to see a bird play basketball to me. If they learn to step up and poop in their cages, I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 4:49 pm

I like training my birds, I think it helps develop a bond with them. I like how it challenges their mental abilities and seeing them proud and munching on their treats. Unfortunately, I'm not someone of schedule.. thus training happens maybe once a week. king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 5:01 pm

I'd love to poop train. The rest I'm not fussed over.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 5:27 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm not someone of schedule.. thus training happens maybe once a week. king

That's probably why I don't train. The tricks are neat, but I'd forget to do it. Some days, I'm just happy they haven't driven me to the looney bin yet.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 6:08 pm

To tell you the truth, I was interested in parrots training until... I realized from "one source" what kind of sacrifices it takes to make birds perform tricks. I really truly love animals. And if trick training will come with a price of starving them and etc., then I back up.
Hell no, I prefer to have friends, no slaves.
Of course if I can teach them something normal way, it's good. But raising birds as they do for animals in Circus, not my way. You can't be cruel to your friend.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 6:39 pm

You can trick train w/out food deprivation. It's about finding what motivates your pet. A good book to read on the concepts:
Don't shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Don%27t+shoot+the+dog&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11237669594386829793&sa=X&ei=Oo3VTbiqE8mhtweh_byhBw&ved=0CEUQ8wIwAQ&biw=1366&bih=615#

And an article on motivation: http://www.libertywings.com/2008/behavior/a-little-motivation-is-a-good-thing/

Food deprivation's just an easier, faster way to get results; which my view is detrimental to the big picture - relationship w/ the animal.

Any of you on a diet can possibly relate - even if you're not actually hungry, you just can't stop thinking about food.

thinking
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 7:33 pm

I like the idea of using things they already do. I'm not so sure calling it a trick is fair though. I call it dancing when Aries moves his head around...the only thing he gets as a reward? Daddy dancing with him. And he loves it. The mental challenge for Aries tends to be foraging and pushing past things he has issues with. He's a slow forager. He doesn't like bits of paper over his food dish...but he'll rummage through the other food for the color pellet he wants. I'm all for learning what they'll do and then working with that.

It's my opinion, but simulating activities they normally would do, as opposed to 'tricks' out of their norm seems to make them happier. Just my own two cents. Smile
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 pm

Quote :
I like the idea of using things they already do. I'm not so sure calling it a trick is fair though.
That's a "trick" - putting the behavior to a cue. That's what they do for the sealions, dolphins, whales, etc. in animal shows.

thinking
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 8:13 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Quote :
I like the idea of using things they already do. I'm not so sure calling it a trick is fair though.
That's a "trick" - putting the behavior to a cue. That's what they do for the sealions, dolphins, whales, etc. in animal shows.

Yeah, I just don't think it's fair to call it a 'trick' it's more a...I don't know...behavioral quirk. LOL
Just seems to be a lie to call it a trick when it's something they already would do.

The funny part? (don't tell my husband) Aries starts to bob and THEN my husband does. LOL
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 8:33 pm

I bought a basketball net for Einstein....of course we've never used it though, I just thought it looked like fun.

I don't to a lot of 'training' but I do have Einstein clicker trained (the budgies, partially).

Me and Einstein have a fantastic relationship. He does do some simple tricks. He steps up 100% of the time (he even says good boy while he does it), he recalls, he knows several phrases, he will pet me (because we live in backwards land, where the pet strokes the owner), bobs his head when I do it, and waves when I wave my pinky. These tricks were all behaviors learned through praise. Recalls started with millet, but now he will do things for me to say "good boy!".

Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 8:39 pm

Quote :
The funny part? (don't tell my husband) Aries starts to bob and THEN my husband does. LOL
Oh yeah! The Jedi Mind Tricks! Right Julsiebean? I was commenting w/ Julsibean that the sun/jendays are really good at training humans. I couldn't figure it out until it dawned on me that they were Master Jedis and doing the Jedi Mind Tricks on us humans.

Quote :
Yeah, I just don't think it's fair to call it a 'trick' it's more a...I don't know...behavioral quirk. LOL
Just seems to be a lie to call it a trick when it's something they already would do.
I know what you mean. I've had people call me in excitement that their new baby goes up to them and makes kissy noises. They're excited that the bird knows "tricks". I never considered kissies to be a trick.

thinking
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 8:49 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Quote :
Oh yeah! The Jedi Mind Tricks! Right Julsiebean? I was commenting w/ Julsibean that the sun/jendays are really good at training humans. I couldn't figure it out until it dawned on me that they were Master Jedis and doing the Jedi Mind Tricks on us humans.

Yes!!

Ninja That's what we have so far...lol
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 9:42 pm

I think trick training is really fun. The only problem is I'm terrible at being consistent so I can never teach the trick with a cue. But that's fine for me, it's hilarious to see rainbow do a jumble of tricks for her favorite treat. Sometimes I think birds are better trainers than people though!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Thu May 19, 2011 9:46 pm

That's what our ankle biter does - goes through all her tricks as fast as possible to get the treat. We have to stop her and have her focus, tell her what trick, she does it, then gets the treat.

thinking
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Fri May 20, 2011 1:31 am

I've been "trick" training Merlin since I got him last September. Some are ones I wanted him to learn, some are ones he already did and I captured with treats. I free feed so Merlin has access to food all day. The difference is he only gets the almond treats when he is out with me for cuddling or "training" . This has not affected his learning at all, that I can see. Some days he is not interested and that is okay, we work when he is ready, not when I am.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   Sat May 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Don't get me wrong, i'll all for tricks if that 's what your pet likes, it's a great enrichment tool, i guess i have an issue with it when it's used for some reason other than the birds best interest.I'm not sure the master/slave relationship is in the birds best interest and that's not how i view my pet's relationship with me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training your companion parrot   

Back to top Go down

Training your companion parrot
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Training :: General & Trick Training-
Jump to: