Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the species you don't like?

Go down 
+12
dusty
o'TikaandAurora
VickiNumbers
flappinhappy
evil chicken
Margaret
Vikki
patdbunny
zazanomore
hannahbird
GlassOnion
moa
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

the species you don't like? Empty
PostSubject: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:42 pm

Which species (if any) don't appeal to you, or you wouldn't consider getting? and why? just curious...
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Bourkes. I don't like birdie beings, I like birdie doings.
Back to top Go down
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 11:09 pm

I love lorikeets but I would probably never have one as a pet, unless I had a huge aviary. Just cus the liquidy poos Shocked
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Quakers.

I met one once, and it like damaged my ears. And I've heard the screams of louder birds. But nothing was like the sound of that quaker.
Back to top Go down
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm

zazanomore wrote:
Quakers.

I met one once, and it like damaged my ears. And I've heard the screams of louder birds. But nothing was like the sound of that quaker.
I also would not get a quaker! A quaker was the first bird that bit me. And the little turd broke the skin! Idk I've never been attracted to them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 11:35 pm

Aww Quakers are wonderful! They tie with conures as my favorite.

I don't like Indian Ringnecks and they don't like me.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Julie, are Quakers cuddly and acrobatic like your Conure?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 9:24 am

Acrobatic? No, they are more like a big bird in movement. Cuddly? Yes, when they are in the mood. AS cuddly? Sometimes. Juniper will vary from cuddling my neck with her beak in my ear to tangling herself in the back of my hair and staying put. Always open for lovings.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 10:03 am

Another species of Parrot I don't love are the Great Billed Parrot.

I'm not one to be afraid of being bitten, but those beaks are terrifying!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:10 pm

They remind me of lobster claws. Smile
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:30 pm

I have an unreasonable dislike of lovebirds. A lovebird was the first bird I voluntarily bought for myself as a teenager. It wasn't tame. Who knows how old it was. I was told by the pet shop to play with it every day and it would be come tame. It didn't. I just bit the crap out of me. I went back to the pet store, told them I couldn't tame it so I wanted a companion for it. They sold me a tiel and said I could put it in the same cage. I went home put the tiel in, the lovebird bit the toes off the tiel in a matter of seconds. Hated that damn lovebird.

Ever since, I have an unreasonable dislike of lovebirds despite meeting absolutely sweet mature ones.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:39 pm

What did happened to those two, Roz? I can't remember if you said you rehomed them or not, before.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:41 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
What did happened to those two, Roz? I can't remember if you said you rehomed them or not, before.
The lovebird accidentally got out an open window and I really didn't try very hard to recover it. The tiel I gave to someone who felt a lot more sorry for it than I did. I felt sorry for it and I felt a lot of guilt, but I don't really have the rescuing sort of personality. Some people emotionally like crippled creatures.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 3:31 pm

My lovebird is mean too. She will be charming and sweet and preen my ear then run down my shirt and chomp my boob. Shocked Out of nowhere it seems, to me. She is like, bipolar. I dunno. She has extreme highs and lows. She is however the cutest little damn poot. She sneezes when I do, she makes all sorts of songs, sings herself to sleep, and loves to play peek a boo with my oldest.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 3:55 pm

I've never had a great love for Greys. And they never seem to like me. We'll just leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:02 pm

It seems to me Greys in general, are very closed off towards strangers. Perhaps you didn't feel a connection with them because they were at the rescue, and not bonded to you in your home?
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:05 pm

No...Bryans mom has one and she's friendly enough just don't have same connection I have with other birds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Vikki wrote:
I've never had a great love for Greys. And they never seem to like me. We'll just leave it at that.
So true! So true!
That's how it goes!
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Hm, I'm thinking and thinking and seriously there is no such a specie I don't like. The same with dogs here.
The only answer is, there are some I would never (never say never) have with some reason.

- Lorikeet - I love their look and behavior, but I think I wouldn't be able to take that liquid poo,
- Lovebird - Each time I see them in some pet store I watch them and I'm ready to go and get one, but then I see them together and hear their voice, there is a no
- Cockatoo - I love them and they are actually first I go to pet in the store, but can't imagine having one of my own.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 6:11 pm

I used to belong to the "I can't stand lovebird sounds" camp. Now she is my favorite of them all to listen to. Now I'm not sure I could handle more then two together.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 6:31 pm

here are the birds I probably would never get or don't appeal to me
cockatoos- I've been around a couple and I love to love them but honestly they sound like too much. Loud, destructive, neurotic.. beautiful though. Plus I'm terrible at reading their body language! it's like a foreign language I can't quite grasp. (though I admit to dreaming about a goffins or maybe a galah occasionally...)
Pois- they don't appeal to me. I haven't connected with the ones I've met either. A jardines is the only one that sounds remotely like a bird I'd like.. sorry to any poi lovers out there!
large macaws- oh gosh. I love these guys, but in my house? that would take a lot of work. and ear plugs. their screech is like a sonic boom to me sometimes but it's surprising how I've almost gotten used to it. I haven't actually handled one before either, though one did try to eat my ankles at a pet store...
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 6:32 pm

That's why I put "never say never" in my post Wink Life is full of unexpected surprises. Couple years ago I thought I wasn't a bird person and look at me now...
Back to top Go down
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Aw I love lovebirds! My lovebird was the sweetest thing I love you She would follow me around, preen me, and everyday she would cuddle up in my shirt or behind my hair and sleep for as long as I would let her. And she didnt mind strangers at all! Just loved everyone. Miss my little baby Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 11:28 pm

the species you don't like? 322104971 the species you don't like? 2357332727 oh! and I forget to mention (and don't hate me for this!) I'm not an eclectus lover either. they're beautiful and I admire them but unlike most birds I don't want one at all... They just don't appeal to me. Plus there is the diet and all that. But this is just going off of what I've read. I've seen a couple but not interacted with them.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 12:31 am

Ringnecks. I just don't like their personalities; they're not as hands-on and tolerant as birds I've had.

Macaws. I like them, they're beautiful and nice and so cool, but I don't think they're the kind of bird for me. Honestly I don't wanna deal with the beak.

Amazons. I don't know, they just don't attract me. I'm not against them in any way, but I would just not think of getting one.

Cockatoos. It's not because I don't want one, definitely. I love their playfulness and I love love LOVE citrons and lesser sulphurs, but I don't think I'd be a good fit for their personalities. They're too high energy and emotionally dependent for me.

I really like the birdie beings. Ducky runs me out sometimes. With that in mind, anything high-energy really isn't a great fit for me. So caiques, budgies, and other birds like that would probably be too much for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the species you don't like?   the species you don't like? Empty

Back to top Go down

the species you don't like?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next