Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding  Empty
PostSubject: Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding    Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding  EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 2:35 am

What do y'all do and why? What are the pro's and con's about each in your experience?

I know how to bottle feed, and I suppose syringe feeding is likely quite similar but I have no idea what spoon feeding would be, or how you would do it..

Any feedback from the pro's?
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding    Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding  EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 6:36 am

We tried to spoon feeding Chico. She loved it, but it makes bird messy. And believe me, this baby formula is like a glue; if you don't clean bird immediately, later it's hard(but not impossible).
The syringe worked fine, was less messy and she loved it. The same with raccoon and house sparrow.
But wait until real expert from hand-feeding birds will respond(Momma 'Zon, Roz)
I bet you will have no problems at all, with your profession and feeding and you'll see each time how exited it is flappinhappy
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding    Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding  EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 8:15 am

Syringe feeding is the way to go, we do spoon feed older babies but this is more to help them wean .With the syringe they don't realize where the food is coming from and with the spoon it's a slower process and they become impatient and start trying to feed themselves from out of the bowl.Yes it's messy and they tend to sling it everywhere,and as Margaret said it's like glue.Many people raising birds for the pet trade will keep birds on the syringe for months because it helps keep them hand tame and dependent, we on the other hand are happy to have the babies wean themselves and use interaction and socialization to keep them tame.In short spoon feeding is not absolutely necessary, but it's how we do it.In the "olden"days i didn't think to use a syringe and spoon fed my babies from to start with cream of wheat cereal mixed with fresh fruit (bananas,mango) or baby food from the store, this was a very time consuming and messy job, the syringe is much easier and faster.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding    Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding  EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 1:00 pm

henpecked wrote:
. . .we do spoon feed older babies but this is more to help them wean.
I thought I was the only one who does that! Yeah, at what ends up being about the last 2-3 weeks I spoon feed w/ a mix of formula and softened pellets. They get to feel the chunks on their tongue and play as much as they eat.

But spoon feeding is generally too messy - all over the bird, all over the wall, all over the table, all over you.

I use disposable plastic transfer pipettes. Similar to the syringe. I prefer the pipettes as I'm paranoid I'll plunge too hard on the syringe and drown the babies. I'm also paranoid that I don't get the syringes clean enough and the o-ring needs to get lubricated. With the pipettes I just throw them away after every use. I have a "connection" so I get my syringes really cheap (free).
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding    Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding  Empty

Back to top Go down

Spoon-feeding vs bottle-feeding vs syringe-feeding
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Breeding :: Breeding Discussions-
Jump to: