HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Scam?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
avatar

Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 19
My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)
Posts : 187

PostSubject: Scam?   Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:59 pm

look at this: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/grd/2492307607.html
It's a big cage for that amount of $
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
avatar

Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 56
Location : Southern California
My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)
Posts : 2248

PostSubject: Re: Scam?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:25 am

Could be homemade with wire mesh... I don't see anything that looks fishy, but you can't really see the stuff.
Back to top Go down
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
avatar

Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 19
My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)
Posts : 187

PostSubject: Re: Scam?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:31 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Could be homemade with wire mesh... I don't see anything that looks fishy, but you can't really see the stuff.
That's what made me wonder. It only shows the corner and the birds, Nothing more..
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
avatar

Join date : 2011-05-19
Age : 25
Location : Vancouver
My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar
Posts : 1209

PostSubject: Re: Scam?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:33 am

I wouldn't buy it personally.
Back to top Go down
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
avatar

Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 19
My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)
Posts : 187

PostSubject: Re: Scam?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:34 am

GlassOnion wrote:
I wouldn't buy it personally.
Ya i know. Thats a big aviary too.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
avatar

Join date : 2011-05-21
Age : 49
Location : Denver, CO, United States
My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars
_____________________________
Posts : 1521

PostSubject: Re: Scam?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:34 am

A homemade aviary like that could be just fine, and at $200 for a cage that size, you could be getting a real bargain. BUT, you also really have to know what you're looking at, and looking for, in the wire mesh. Im not an expert by any means, but if I'm not mistaken, when the steel is galvanized in relation to the welding of the wires makes a difference in how fast the zinc (or whether the zinc) is available to the birds (I'm not sure exactly right now, would have to go back and look it up). There is also some wire that has a PVC coating, but it will dry out and begin chipping, leaving the wire underneath to rust after a certain amount of time - and that time isn't written in stone, it depends on what the wore has been exposed to and for how long.

So I'd say don't write off a homemade cage just because it's homemade. If you do your research and know what youre looking at, you could end up with a really good deal. (For example, anyone who has ever bought any of my homemade cages for my previous pets. Smile They got a steal!!!)

_________________

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever, for what you have tamed."
~Antoine de Saint Exupery

.....
....... ~*~ Vicki ~*~
.... Allie.... Sam.... Caesar
...... Mack...... Micky


http://BunchesOfBudgies.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
avatar

Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 19
My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)
Posts : 187

PostSubject: Re: Scam?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:10 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:
A homemade aviary like that could be just fine, and at $200 for a cage that size, you could be getting a real bargain. BUT, you also really have to know what you're looking at, and looking for, in the wire mesh. Im not an expert by any means, but if I'm not mistaken, when the steel is galvanized in relation to the welding of the wires makes a difference in how fast the zinc (or whether the zinc) is available to the birds (I'm not sure exactly right now, would have to go back and look it up). There is also some wire that has a PVC coating, but it will dry out and begin chipping, leaving the wire underneath to rust after a certain amount of time - and that time isn't written in stone, it depends on what the wore has been exposed to and for how long.

So I'd say don't write off a homemade cage just because it's homemade. If you do your research and know what youre looking at, you could end up with a really good deal. (For example, anyone who has ever bought any of my homemade cages for my previous pets. Smile They got a steal!!!)
Okay thanks for the information Very Happy I'm thinking of building an aviary for parakeets with my dad, but I really want that big cage that i talked about in the breeding parakeets forum.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
avatar

Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 60
Location : NC/Fla
My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons
Posts : 1372

PostSubject: Re: Scam?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 pm

That might work for keets, but you could buy the wire for half that price,of course you'll need cutters,clips crimpers and that sort of stuff. At 4ft wide you'll need to keep it outside unless you have a sliding glass door that's 8 ft tall(not),anyway i just bought a 100 ft roll of 1/2 X ! X 24 for about 100 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Fallen_Parakeet
Cockatiel
avatar

Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 19
My Birds : Pete (my parakeet)
Posts : 187

PostSubject: Re: Scam?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:30 pm

henpecked wrote:
That might work for keets, but you could buy the wire for half that price,of course you'll need cutters,clips crimpers and that sort of stuff. At 4ft wide you'll need to keep it outside unless you have a sliding glass door that's 8 ft tall(not),anyway i just bought a 100 ft roll of 1/2 X ! X 24 for about 100 bucks.
Ya i know..
Thats a good deal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Scam?   

Back to top Go down
 
Scam?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Classifieds :: Parrot Classifieds-
Jump to: