Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fid Friendly Fruity Ice-cream

Go down 
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Fid Friendly Fruity Ice-cream Empty
PostSubject: Fid Friendly Fruity Ice-cream   Fid Friendly Fruity Ice-cream EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 pm

So.. I've been on the kind of diet lately where I find all of my calories in the bottom of a tub of Blue-Bell... And I've been looking HARD for the weight I've lost, and unfortunately I've found it. BUT, JJ has caught on to my love of this amazing frozen treat. So, rather than keep being mean to her and not let her have it, I decided to figure out what a fid-friendly form could be. This is what I came up with, and she LOVES it!!

Fid Friendly Fruity Ice-Cream

1 individual sized container of plain, unsweetened yogurt
Approx 1/3c* of your birds favorite fruit mash OR your birds favorite fruit(s)

**approximately 1/3c after processing, mashing, or pureeing, whichever is appropriate for the particular fruit you choose. Mild flavored fruits such as bananas may need more than 1/3 cup of fruit or the addition of another sweeter fruit to sweeten the yogurt.

This is very complicated.

Prepare the fruit by washing, peeling, and cutting or chopping into appropriately sized pieces. Depending on the fruit you choose, either mash, or use a food processor to get the fruit to a hash-like consistency. It's hard to describe how juicy the fruit can be, a little juice is OK, but too much will make the ice-cream more icy than creamy. If it's too juicy, you can put the fruit in a strainer and let it sit, the problem with that is that a lot of the natural sugar drains away with the juice, so you may have to experiment a little with how you process your fruits.

Mix fruit well with yogurt and put in the freezer. Depending on how cold your freezer is, you'll want to stir it every 30 min- 1 hour to keep it from becoming too solid to serve at first. Once it reaches a soft-serve consistency, take a spoonful out and give it to the fids, and place the rest in serving size portions in a zip-lock baggie and freeze the rest of the way.

When you're ready to serve, thaw for 10-15 min at room temp, or quick thaw the bag in luke-warm water.

Remove from the bag and place in a serving dish, then mash and mix with a fork for smaller birds, or I suppose you can let big birds have them while solid - they're big and strong enough to eat them like they are. (Do big birds like frozen treats?)

Anyway, that's it! Yum and Yum!!

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/

Fid Friendly Fruity Ice-cream
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: Health & Nutrition :: Recipes-
Jump to: