Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Travelling with Birds

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Travelling with Birds Empty
PostSubject: Travelling with Birds   Travelling with Birds EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Next month, me and my family will be taking the two day drive up to my first apartment (yay!).

Of course, I will be taking the birds with me, as I made the commitment in High School when I got the fids that I would take the responsibility of caring for them while I attend university.

I have two large flight cages, and two travel containers. The problem is, that the flight cages will not fit in a vehicle, and the travel containers just won't due for 2 days.

Einstein's Carrier:

Travelling with Birds 5956000539_13d38f4a83

Budgies' Carrier:

Travelling with Birds 5956000869_8bf5157b17

No place for perches, toys or food dishes. These carriers are for vet visits, and for emergencies.

So, I'm now having to buy small travel cages for my guys. At first, I thought I'd look at used cages online, but ended up scraping the idea, because I don't trust other people.

I went to my local pet valu, and sought out the cheapest cages possible.

This is what they had available:

Travelling with Birds 5956561810_54df2678e4

They only had the yellow one in stock. I bought it for 39.99$. It will be the budgies travel cage. I need to order another one of the cages for Einstein. Hopefully I'll get a choice on what color I get.

I was thinking either the dome top, or the squared one. I'm not sure which will give Einstein a little bit more room.

Any suggestions?

I hate that I'm paying this much for these small cages. But it is something I need to get. Besides, I am planning on getting myself two more budgies by the end of this year, so a cage to quarantine new budgies will be needed.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Travelling with Birds   Travelling with Birds EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 11:13 pm

I also had a lot of arguing with my parents to have the birds travel in the vehicle with us. What they wanted was to have them stay in their cages, inside the trailer we will be pulling with all our stuff in. Like I'd let that happen.

It was really stressing me out, but tonight my sister said she would stay at a friends house the week I move. That means there is room in the vehicle for the birds. Of course I'm going to have to lay towels all over the back seats, as to "not ruin" the interior. But, I'm glad my guys will be traveling in comfort!

One more thing. One night we are going to stay in a motel/hotel. Do they allow birds? Or do I need to go all ninja stealth and sneak them in? What have you guys done?
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Travelling with Birds   Travelling with Birds EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 11:21 pm

Some places are more pet friendly than others, so you may have to sneak them in. Other than that, I think the birds should be okay in cages that size for a couple of days.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Travelling with Birds   Travelling with Birds EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 am

I go ninja. Especially if you can't control where you guys will be staying.

No pets allowed at Circus Circus in Las Vegas. I had birds with me. I just put up the "do not disturb" sign so the maids wouldn't come in.

Don't worry about the small size. It's only two days. They're resilient and can handle temporary cramped quarters.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Travelling with Birds   Travelling with Birds EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 3:04 am

I concur.
1). Go ninja. It's not worth the hassle if the hotel decides not to allow pets. Besides, why pay extra for the "extra" room cleaning, when the pets don't weigh more than 9 ounces combined?

2). Cage size is fine. The one J is in is smaller than those, and it's for four days (when she's in). They're flexible. Mine is used too, FWIW.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Travelling with Birds   Travelling with Birds EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:14 am

Hey Zaza,i know you like my set up but i had to move 45 birds.I built "travel" cages from 1/2 X 1 wire, basically two 11X 11X 11 cages side by side (carrying bonded pairs of amazons) one bird in each cage.Tiels i put 3 per cage. No food or water dishes other than some apple in the floor of cage.Jake had a small cage with food and water which she hardly touched . the birds were in these for about 20 hrs. Every body was fine ,cramped yes but some times you have to do what you have to do.If anything i would take your birds for a ride in their new cage and they won't be so stressed by the move.feed and water when you stop for the night or take gas breaks.I'd throw a towel over the cages when you sneak them in to the hotel and don't say any thing .You being calm cool and collected will help them as much as anything during the ride, I'd sit near and talk to them.It'll be ok and i'm sure you can work it all out.Are your new cages the type that fold up when not in use?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Travelling with Birds   Travelling with Birds Empty

Back to top Go down

Travelling with Birds
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: General Care & Information-
Jump to: