Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Awesome news!   Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:16 am

I can't agreed more. Granted, many of the birds that are surrenderd to us aren't abused, per se. Perhaps socially ignored, but not physically abused. But when we do get the abused ones that are frighthened, timid, even violent and angry.... its really hard not to lash out at the humans. The way we see it, they are finally doing a human kindness by giving the bird to us to care for. And we take any bird with no questions asked. But once its ours, its ours. They can't have them back.

http://www.voliveri.com
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Awesome news!   Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Well, sorry to say, but the newspaper failed to show up for the move. There were some other stories going on in the area (huge annual fair for one) and no one came. We called several times and got no answer. Hopefully they will at least show up when we have our grand opening and make good on their promise to do a full spread to get us some good publicity.

It has been a LONG three days, to say the least. John, Jeanne and Bryan went back to the old rescue to try to get one last load of birds, but as it stands, I'd say 95% of them are here now.... and its chaos. Though, with all the mishaps and delays, I think we did an awesome job. It poured yesterday and we moved through the rain (I found it rather refreshing after sweating my ass off). There was a lot of stress, a few tantrums and definitely some fights. But we got everything in order as good as we were able.

Realizing now that the remodeled garage is much too small for all the birds. John and Jeanne had to move a few cages into their new house to accomodate them and considering we probable have 10-15 birds left to move, as well as a flight full of cockatiels and parakeets (probably 50 or so)... we're out of space. They already started discussing enclosing the carport at the end of the garage to add an extra 20 x 30 room that we now need.

Things will be vastly confusing for the next several months and I am sure we will continue to have stress and fights, but we done good. And I am the last one left while everyone went back because I have to work tomorrow and I need a shower and sleep....

Oh, and Sebastian bit me again and I am realizing now why. Since I've had him, he's bitten me badly three times and all three times, it was dark in the room. So darkness probably confuses him and freaks him out. The bite I got last night was BAD but all things considered, its only aesthetic damage to me. I had him on my arm and was going into the bathroom to turn on the light and he grabbed me by the ear. Actually got the point of his top beak in my ear and pierced straight through and out the back. It was all skin and cartiledge, bled and hurt like a mother and still throbs, but I'm good. Was in no mood to go to the hospital at three in the morning so I packed it with numbing antibiotic ointment and cotton and went to bed. LOL

I swear, the things we go through for our birds.... Shocked

http://www.voliveri.com

Awesome news!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Adoption/Rescue :: Adoption/Rescue Stories-
Jump to: