Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth Empty
PostSubject: Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth   Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 2:08 am

How many of us have had an, "If I'd known then what I know now, I might have done _____ different" moment? I sure have!

This thread would be perfect reading for anyone who's considering getting a parrot, and wants to know what "real life" is like with one. Share your thoughts and stories here - and let it all hang out - the good, the bad and the ugly. If someone gets a bird after reading all of the stories we have to share, they should be doing it with their eyes open!

I'll start with some good.

I never knew I was a "bird person." My mother saw the movie, The Birds, by Alfred Hitchcock, when it was in the theater. It instilled a life-long fear of birds in her. As a result, my exposure to birds was very limited while I was growing up. My first "bird encounter" occurred when I was attacked by barn swallows that had been nesting in our car-port in Oklahoma. I was so young I don't remember it, but my mother tells the story well of the time she protected her girls from the huge flock of barn swallows with her husbands 16 ga. shotgun. If you knew my mother you'd know why that story is really funny. That was followed by the time we bird-sat a canary for a friend and my mother, in an attempt to get water out of the food dish, took the cage (with the bird in it) outside and turned it upside-down and shook it. *Sigh* The bird escaped. My mom had to go buy another yellow canary so my friend didn't cry when she got home. And finally, that was followed by years and years of Mockingbirds dive-bombing us every time we walked out our front door. That would last for about six to eight weeks every spring. Mockingbirds are very territorial when they're sitting on eggs and raising their young. You should know that: 1) Mockingbirds have very sharp beaks, 2) very large red and white umbrella's do not seem to provide much protection from the very sharp beaks, and 3) even the neighborhood cats were very scared of these birds and their beaks.

So when my daughter brought home a budgie one day, the first words out of my mouth were, "TWO DAYS, then it's GONE!" If I'd had any idea how prophetic my words would be, I'd have never spoken them. It didn't take me 12 hours to fall in love with that little bird. The next morning, I'd gone shopping to buy it a new (larger) cage and far more toys. She was beautiful. On the second morning we woke up to find her dead in the bottom of that new cage. I'd never fallen in love with anything (barring my children) so hard so fast, and her death left a hole in me I didn't know what to do with. That was the beginning of my life with birds.

Through a series of events, I now have two birds, Bucky and JJ. I love them with my whole heart. I had no idea birds had such amazingly wonderful personalities as well as the ability to form such strong connections with people. In reality they are my first birds, and everything I know, I've learned "on the job." Despite what I've heard, JJ at least is very forgiving of my mistakes. Bucky? Not so much. Maybe it's because I got JJ as a baby and I'm all she's ever really known. Bucky is a rehome, and though he was only about a year old, he had some experience with someone else and had formed a relationship with them before me.

Every day with them is an adventure:
The mess. OMG, the mess! The feathers, the poop, the food all over the place, the chewed wood, the chewed paper, the feathers, the poop,... Rolling Eyes It's a good thing I'm not an OCD neat person or I'd go crazy!
Then there's the noise. I had no idea Bucky would be a noisy as he is... he quacks, be squawks, he bawks, he talks, he calls, he jabbers, and sometimes he growls and purrs. JJ? In the morning she calls me to get her out of bed. Oh, and she grinds her beak. That's about it for her! LOL
The food - I didn't know they needed more than bird seed. My birds eat better than I do, I cook more for them than I do for myself.
Did you know you can't pet birds? It's sexually stimulating to them. That takes some getting used to, but is really important to remember - and to teach your family.
And birds bite. And nip. And beak. You have to be able to tell the difference and not react to any of it lest you become a human squeaky toy.
The worms. I'll not even go there. You can thank me for it later.
The plucking.
The molting.
The flying or not flying...

Having a bird isn't like it is in the movie. They're messy, loud, hormonal pains in the butt much of the time. But I can say this... it's a good thing I didn't know then what I know now. Because if I had known, I might not have gotten my birds, and I can't imagine my life without them.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth   Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 2:40 am

Vicki, that was hot!

Um... I would like to tell any prospective bird owners NOT to base their research on species articles from avianweb, birdchannel, about.com, wikipedia, etc.. These are such generalized, weak descriptions of different birds. If I had joined forums before acquiring my first bird, I would not have chosen what I did. Don't get me wrong, I love my birdies and they make my heart swell I love you
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth   Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:44 am

i read somewhere that someone described a parrot as a forever 2 yr old,well i think Jake might be better described as 40 yr old 5 yr old.Smart enough to have some control over her life,She knows what she wants and how to get it.She can be very demanding yet at the same time i rarely have to ask her twice to do something or not do something(unlike a 5 yr old) .Perhaps one of my biggest Ah Ha moments came when i realized parrots are not really pets but companions.There seems to be many parallels between parrot ownership and every day life. A good relationship take trust , dedication and a lot of compromise.Most of your birds would have a mate with them 24/7 in the wild ,but as a companion to us this is not possible,most of us have other obligations and have to make compromises with our companion bird.Most behavioral issues arise as a result of that compromise.On the other hand how amazing that they conform to our hectic complex lifestyle.As with any long term commitment there will be up and downs and future parrot owners need to realize that they are getting more than just a pet. .

Last edited by henpecked on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth   Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 9:13 am

Capt, that was a great post. I really loved what you said- it is SO true.

Life with birds is like raising kids, not keeping a pet. I have to make hard, unpopular choices that I know are best for them- just like I so my own kids. Sparrow is my companion. He is my little bitty everything boy. The loviegals feed my soul and I am happy to simply be the keeper of the cage for them. Juniper, while to me she is my gal that when off, got married, and had kids I know will come home to me one day. It is hard, but I know she is happy beyond what I could provide for her.

Even in my dark, confusing times with Juniper, the jenday, and the pain of the loss of my sweet tiels, I've never had a moment of regret.

The mess, the noise, the day to day upkeep doesn't phase me. If anything it provides more balance in my life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth   Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth Empty

Back to top Go down

Life with a parrot: The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: General Care & Information-
Jump to: