Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feathers, feathers, and more feathers...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Feathers, feathers, and more feathers... Empty
PostSubject: Feathers, feathers, and more feathers...   Feathers, feathers, and more feathers... EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 2:42 am

Ugghghhh!!!!

Can anyone tell me more about molting? How long is this business supposed to take? This is awful!

I don't care at all about the feathers everywhere... even though they are! Every day I'm expecting that THIS will be the day that JJ goes bald... She keeps coming and wanting me to scritch her head, but when I do, she cheeps at me because it hurts. So I've quit scritching and started rubbing - which seems to make her happy enough.... but even though I'm only rubbing, I STILL have between 5-10 feathers fall off her head every time I rub. I've gotten to the point where I can tell which ones are going to come off because I can see the new ones growing up/out beneath it. Her head (and Bucky's too, when he lets me touch it), is so lumpy and bumpy I don't know how she can stand it and her neck, back and breast are the same way. Bucky is worse. No wonder he's got a bad attitude right now! I'd be pissy too!

JJ is going to be a mess when her head feathers start growing out. How long does it take them to grow out and get to the white stage where I can help her with them? And is there anything I should be adding to their diet while they're molting and growing all of these miserable new feathers? Can't I give them tylenol or something? (I know,I wont! LOL! It just looks so PAINFUL!)

I just dont know what to do about this. It's driving me crazy (on their behalf.)

Thanks for the help!

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: X    Feathers, feathers, and more feathers... EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 3:01 am

I would feed more protein and a higher potency pellet. Also, spritz with aloe! Spice has been molting forever now..
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Feathers, feathers, and more feathers...   Feathers, feathers, and more feathers... EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 5:55 am

Make sure they're getting daily showers too! Whether it be via misting with their spray bottle or a hop in the shower...it really DOES help.

Seriously, Rosco looks SO blissful when he's super moulting and he comes into the shower. I kind of feel bad turning the shower off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Feathers, feathers, and more feathers...   Feathers, feathers, and more feathers... EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:53 am

When you say spritz with aloe, do you buy some special "bird aloe" or can you just mix aloe and water somehow?

I wish Buck and/or J-bird enjoyed the shower. Neither of them do. Sad
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Feathers, feathers, and more feathers...   Feathers, feathers, and more feathers... EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 11:05 am

I think the reason bathing helps is because of wetting and drying the sheath around the pin feathers helps it to split and fall off.I'm not sure there's much you can do about emerging feathers, which have to be a pain in the neck.(I know ,I know, I'm so punny). If possible i'd suggest direct sunlight after a bath or misting.Of course this is your big chance to become world champion preener,and her very bestest friend.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Feathers, feathers, and more feathers...   Feathers, feathers, and more feathers... EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 1:48 pm

Any other diet changes besides added protein?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feathers, feathers, and more feathers...   Feathers, feathers, and more feathers... Empty

Back to top Go down

Feathers, feathers, and more feathers...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: General Care & Information-
Jump to: