Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Calif Condor Release

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Calif Condor Release Empty
PostSubject: Calif Condor Release   Calif Condor Release EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Anyone in and around Pinnacles National Monument (San Benito/Monterey Counties) -
http://www.hollisterfreelance.com/printer/article.asp?c=278609

The public is invited to attend Condor Comeback 2011 on Sept. 24 at Pinnacles National Monument where up to two young California condors will be released for their first flight into the wild during a celebration from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

No entrance fee will be charged. Superintendent Karen Beppler-Dorn has scheduled the event to coincide with National Public Lands Day, a day when these fees are waived at all National Park sites.

The event will be held at the Pinnacles Visitor Center near the campground on the east side of the park, which people can get to from Hwy. 25 south of Hollister. Car pooling is encouraged since parking is limited and will be on a first-come, first-served basis.

The Condor Comeback event will feature two large flat panel video display screens that will carry a live, remote video feed from the backcountry condor facility to the visitor center. The public can watch the young condors in the facility pen and the first flight of any released birds. There will be speakers, informational and educational booths staffed by rangers and park partners, an activity booth for children, and a volunteer micro-trash pickup.

The 1-year-old juvenile condors - two females and two males - have been acclimating to their new home in a 20- by 40-foot flight pen at Pinnacles since their arrival in July. Up to two birds may be "soft released" - a technique that allows the juveniles to escape the pen without seeing people.

There is a chance that no birds will leave the flight pen on the day of the event, due to the circumstances of a "soft release."
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Calif Condor Release   Calif Condor Release EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Well that's very exciting!!!!!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Calif Condor Release   Calif Condor Release EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 7:18 pm

too cool,all ways have loved the condors,i think they have the largest wing span in the world.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Calif Condor Release   Calif Condor Release EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 11:28 pm

awesome!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Calif Condor Release   Calif Condor Release EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:15 am

I thought about you, Moa. Are you close enough to go?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Calif Condor Release   Calif Condor Release EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:51 am

I wish! actually that'd be two or three hours to drive there? but I think I have a prior engagement I can't miss. I wonder if theres somewhere online to watch the video feed...?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calif Condor Release   Calif Condor Release Empty

Back to top Go down

Calif Condor Release
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Off Topic Posts :: Non-Parrot Discussions-
Jump to: