Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Windows & Mirrors

Go down 
+3
ScooterNScotty
zazanomore
patdbunny
7 posters
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Windows & Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Windows & Mirrors   Windows & Mirrors EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:34 pm

How are y'all w/ the flighted birds teaching them not to fly into windows and mirrors? With my fledging babies, they usually fly too slowly and end up on the curtains instead of flying into the windows.

Minion on the other hand, just smacked herself into a mirror. Putting her up to the items and letting her touch them to learn they're solid apparently didn't work.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Windows & Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows & Mirrors   Windows & Mirrors EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:05 pm

I never had a problem with my guys.

The budgies like to fly on the ledge of the mirror and look at their reflections. But they never fly into it, so I think my guys understand that mirrors are solid.

As for windows, I used to have blinds in my old house, so I never worried about them smacking into the window. Some rooms in my apartment have windows without curtains or blinds, and I have a huge window in my living room. They fly to the window sill and look out the window.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Windows & Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows & Mirrors   Windows & Mirrors EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Maybe getting some of those window cling stickers to put on the mirrors to start with?
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Windows & Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows & Mirrors   Windows & Mirrors EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:52 pm

Yeah the sticker things don't really help much IMO.The birds learn about windows by flying into them. The only issue after that is when they panic and fly into the windows,but birds in a panic are going to hurt themselves regardless,part of having flighted pets.Normally a flighted bird leaves a perch with a plan and going to the window to see out is not really an issue,the problem araises when in a panic and i'm not sure there's a cure for that other than a good clip.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Windows & Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows & Mirrors   Windows & Mirrors EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Yeah, I don't think the window clings will help much either.

Luckily, flying through the house she has to do a lot of turning which prevents her from getting lighting speed that kills wild birds that slam into windows.

She just might have to learn from experience. She turned and, I think, thought the mirror was a new doorway she hadn't explored. I've walked into full wall mirrors in places and lived and learned. What a lousy joke those are! My birds rarely go into panic flights, so I'm not too worried about that.

My little flighted bourke is getting really good at flying right now. Reep can land in your hand when you don't even know he's coming. It's pretty funny. I'll have my hand at my side just hanging normally and he'll fly into it and cling to a finger.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Windows & Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows & Mirrors   Windows & Mirrors EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Buck's flown into our mirror and window both. Fortunately he's not a super-strong flyer, and it was early in his flying days so he was even less-so at the time. He hasn't done it since then, so I think he's learned, but who knows. He's a ding-dong though... he actually flew into the side of our pantry the other day... solid white wall! He'd been flying back and forth quite a bit at the time and was getting tired, so I think he misjudged his turn and just smacked right into it. He kept flapping his wings as he slid all the way down to the ground where he just sat for a minute and quacked in his confused little Quaker voice till I picked him up (within 3 seconds!). It was hilarious, in a really sad kind of way!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

Windows & Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows & Mirrors   Windows & Mirrors EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 6:32 am

I had a Tiel that was chronic when it came to windows and mirrors, she'd just go back and forth from one side of the room to the other *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* You'd end up having to grab her mid air to make her stop! Tim flew at the window when he first got here, must've felt the breeze coming back at him or something cause he pulled up right at the last minute and didn't even touch it. Prince will occasionally hit a wall or window cause he gets so excited flying around being a clown and loses control, luckily he flies fast but not hard and so doesn't crash too hard.
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

Windows & Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows & Mirrors   Windows & Mirrors EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:10 am

I am not sure I have had a fledgeling yet that hasn't found a window or mirror, just part of the where can I go from here thing i guess. After that I am with Capt they only have an issue in a panic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Windows & Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows & Mirrors   Windows & Mirrors Empty

Back to top Go down

Windows & Mirrors
Page 1 of 1