Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Astronomy lesson

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 5:42 pm

If you were taking an introductory Astronomy class and you knew the topic of the next lesson was
"Stellar Death and Supernovae", what would you expect to learn? What would make the class exciting for you?

I'm giving a sample 10-minute lesson on this topic as part of an interview. I've actually only taught physics classes, so I'm a bit out of touch with what students in Intro astronomy expect. What would knock your socks off?
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 6:43 pm

Well it's been awhile since i've sat in a lecture hall,and Astronomy isn't my field.I guess my interest would be tickled by the magnitude of something like that and what the far reaching effects might be,how often does it occur and is it predictable.Maybe some some insight into what it's relevance to earth might be would spur more interest.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 8:52 pm

I don't know if this is relevant to your title, but when I took astronomy (a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) I got a kick out of learning about the different types of stars, stars' life cycles, that the star(s) we see in distant galaxies might already have blown up. . .

Last edited by patdbunny on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 am

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 4:00 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
If you were taking an introductory Astronomy class and you knew the topic of the next lesson was
"Stellar Death and Supernovae", what would you expect to learn? What would make the class exciting for you?

I'm giving a sample 10-minute lesson on this topic as part of an interview. I've actually only taught physics classes, so I'm a bit out of touch with what students in Intro astronomy expect. What would knock your socks off?

Don't know if it's too late for me to chime in, so I'll do it anyway. First, I've never taken Astronomy, so it'd all be new to me. At the risk of sounding totally stupid, I'm going to open my mouth and expose my complete ignorance - I may be what you'd be teaching to! LOL! I presume Stellar Death is the death of a star. As far as I can recall from my limited reading of astronomy, when a star dies it implodes (or something like that) and causes a "black hole." Given the topic of your lesson, I will GUESS that my "black hole" is actually called a supernovae. Since I have no idea what a supernovae is, I'd want to know what it is, what causes it, what impact it has (on me, the solar system, whatever), and pictures or videos (love pictures and videos, especially in intro classes). Moving backwards, I'd want to know what causes the death of a star as well, how often it happens, how do we know it's happened, and blah blah blah blah... and pictures. Did I mention pictures? And incorporate technology as much as possible - whatever you have available to you, find a way to use it. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 6:07 pm

I took astronomy in collge. I scanned the room 5 minutes into the class to find out who I could sleep with to pass the class.

Hope that helped.Wink
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 pm

That's too cute,but i know the feeling,that's how i got thru 2 semesters of English.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks Julsie... I think. I was considering using y'all as guinea pigs, but now I'm afraid.
affraid
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 9:20 pm

I went to JC for a couple of years before transferring. . . Might be insulting to the place you're interviewing with, but keep in mind you're not lecturing to rocket scientists. Think AP high school class. Try to keep things monosyllabic. . .
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 10:27 pm

I agree with about everything already said. Try to make it interesting with pictures and stunning facts, but then use details to flesh it all out. I would want to know why it matters. Answer the endless question "So what?" as best you can. Why should I (the student) care?

A star died, okay, that's nice. So what?
So it created a supernova.
So?
So, it exploded and enveloped the surrounding planets/stars/comets.
...So?
So, an event like this is incredibly massive. Not only does it have a cataclysmic effect on the immediate vicinity - immediate meaning several million-bajillion miles - it is massive enough for us to view all the way from Earth.
Cool. I mean... So what? It's a firework, that's nice.
Mhm, it's a firework that can last several days. And because this phenomenon is visible from Earth, it's also possible for astronomers to study, which leads to greater insight on how the universe works, possibly how it was created, and the life cycle of our own Sun.

Also, I must stress the "as best you can". No one can intrigue the student determined to not care, but a good deal of people will run out of So whats and decide stars are quite interesting. (By the way I don't know how accurate any of the "facts" I just typed are. I'm trying my best to remember here Razz )
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:33 am

Y'all are great, just wait and i will see
if I can draw you

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Astronomy lesson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy lesson   Astronomy lesson Empty

Back to top Go down

Astronomy lesson
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Off Topic Posts :: Non-Parrot Discussions-
Jump to: