Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

No grate?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

No grate? Empty
PostSubject: No grate?   No grate? EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 9:51 pm

I read it this article :
http://www.africangreys.com/articles/relationships/new_baby.html

"I like to see Greys in cages that do not have a grate on the bottom. At some time most Greys like to go down on the bottom and 'dig,' as if there were gopher genes present in their parents' backgrounds. We don't know why they do it. Perhaps it's related to the grass digging and uprooting they do while ground feeding in their habitat. Whatever the reason, they do dig and a grate makes the natural behavior impossible.

An even better reason to have a cage without a grate is when you have a young Grey in the cage. With their wings clipped young Greys are clumsy. They also don't have the climbing strength in their legs that older juvenile and adult birds have, so they fall. Falling from a perch and catching a foot or leg in a grate is a possibility that you don't have to worry about when there is no grate to fall on."

Thought?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

No grate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No grate?   No grate? EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 10:03 pm

I'd use a grate. They'll still dig. They'll just dig on the grate. I'd rather have the grate than a bird covered in poo from playing in it. I've never had any birds get themselves caught in the grate so long as the bar spacing's appropriate. Yes, sometimes they stick a foot through and then have to take a second to figure out how to get their foot back on the top, but I've never had them get "stuck".

Looks from the pics you've posted your baby's already in a cage and used to climbing around one and on top of it. Observe just how clumsy your baby is and adjust what you might need to do.

The babies can be clumsy. You might consider a cheapy smaller cage for awhile depending on how clumsy yours is. And don't over clutter the cage with a truck load of toys. Sometimes babies reach out, not knowing the toy isn't going to support their weight, fall into the toy and fall off the perch thinking the toy was going to "save" them.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

No grate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No grate?   No grate? EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Yeah thats what I was thinking!
She is pretty clumsy. I'll just wait to see how clumsy she really is, so I can arrange the cage accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

No grate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No grate?   No grate? Empty

Back to top Go down

No grate?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Housing :: Housing, Aviary & Housing DIY-
Jump to: