HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
coral
Sun Conure

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 pm

So recently my father moved in who dislikes pretty much all animals. He made me give my dog away (no kill shelter) about a month ago for no valid reason except that he didnt like him. I had no say in what happened or else id choose for my father to move out. Anyways my friends mother has an african grey parrot that has plucked itself bald probably because of bordom, stress, and of course bad diet! It has a cage appropriate for a small conure or cockitiel! my pionus who is smaller has a much bigger cage! he has 1 acrlyic toy 2 perches and 2 chewed up metal food dishes.. they said they dont give him toys because he destroys them.. at that point i thought my friends mother was an idiot but i was even more suprised when i saw what it was having for dinner that day.. all seeds no pellets and cheerios is what it has in its cage all day.. for dinner that day was chicken nuggets and salty french fries from Mcdonalds. I imediattley asked what they were doing and they said they give it whatever they eat. really? then her mom told me shes trying to sell the bird.. of course being who i am im prepared to pay the ridicoulous price she wants for this poor thing. she wants $700 but im going to try to talk her down because he needs a new cage, toys and an immediate trip to my avian vet who saved martys life. Hes not very tame hes a fear biter but seems very sweet hes around 4ish i think she said? anyways im planning on talking to my dad and hopefully use a guilt trip into letting me at least get this bird away from that situation and if he doesnt work out here ill find him a new home. just thought id let you guys know my newest idea Wink hopefully it works out! if not im taking toys and food over there!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Well good luck, sounds as if you have a tough row to hoe. Looks like you have a lot of thing stacked against you.That CAG does sound as if it needs a good home but that lady is asking way too much.I know you want to help the bird but maybe you should let her try to sell it , i think she'll soon earn that she has it way over priced. Maybe after she hears that from a few other sources,you can talk her into a good home for the bird and get off the dollar signs.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:29 pm

she says she wants to sell it but she hasnt actually made an effort to do anything to try to find it a home im gonna talk to my dad then hopefully get the price down to save the poor guy. she just doesnt seem to care what happens to the bird. what do you think is a fair price to try to ask for?
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Plucked and unhandleble it's pretty much worthless,people give us birds like that after trying to sell them. 300 dollars and that's too much but i'm sure she thinks it 's worth more, because of what she had to pay for a tame baby ,but that's not what she's selling now.I'd play the sympathy card and hopefully she'll feel a little guilty about the miserable life the bird has now under her care. I'd also let her know it won't live very much longer under those conditions and will be worth alot less laying dead in the bottom of the cage. Kind of harsh i know ,but if i was there i'd probably say worse.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:47 pm

I'd hate to be in a situation like that...

Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Capt how bout you come reason with her for me lol? xD my dad is taking into consideration everything ive told him and i think hes being open minded this time (finally)!

zaza- its hard knowing that if i cant save the birdy someone might not and it could be miserable for a long time!

to both of you whats it like owning more then one compainion parrot is it hard adjust to having more than one fid that relys on you? does your relationship change with the first fid? how do you divide your time? what if they dont get along? im so scared things will change between marty and i after things have been going so good! but i really want to help this grey and i know i can
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Yeah, birds like that are usually free. How about asking her when the last time the bird went to the vet was. . . as part of negotiating down. I picked up my hen CAG for $300 - semi tame, fully feathered, 3YO, in good health.

Or see if she'll let you "keep it for her" so she doesn't have to hassle with it. Take it to the vet and tell her how much the vet cost and ask her to pay you. . . or let you keep the bird for your troubles.

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:57 am

Your always taking a chance when adding another bird, another lady on here has had some bad luck with some of her fids because of adding birds to her flock. Be prepared to have them not get along together,not being able to have them both out at the same time.I have my longtime pet zon Jake and lots of other zons ,Jake doesn't really like any of the others but she loves being around them,they're now part of her flock.If she's upstairs with me and they start carrying on she's wants to go down stairs and join in the fun. Which is cool with me,they fill in the voids in her time when i'm not around. I also should mention that Jake is well bonded to me and has matured with me as her mate, i've given her many chances to bond with other birds but she won't and beats the crap out of any males i try to put her with and will try to kill most females who get to close to me.They do however all sit on their cage or perches and most of the time get along,if some one gets some where they shouldn't be there's usually a loud ruckus and and you go put the wayward bird back in place.Of course if they were all flighted having them all out would not be possible.I would say be prepared for the worst and be happy with any good things.I'm not even going to try and warn you about the trials of rehoming an older neglected bird with issues such as plucking and biting.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:06 pm

The way Capt manages his flock sounds similar to how I manage my flock. A big part of it is vigilance so no one ends up maimed or dead.
Adding a new bird may cause your first one to become jealous and act out - try to hurt the new bird, hurt you, may become insecure and more loving towards you, or all might work out and they become friends and you still have a good relationship with your bird. So hard to say what will happen when adding a new bird.
I've been lucky. I never thought about flock dynamics when adding birds. I get them for my own human gratification so if they didn't get along with each other, I didn't care. They just weren't allowed to attack or harass each other if they didn't like each other. They weren't forced to interact if they didn't want to. They were allowed to interact if they liked each other. I think my flock got along/gets along because they have rules like that. I allow bickering so long as one or the other backs down and there's no serious escalation. Any extended arguing and I intervene to remove the trouble maker. These days I usually just have to say the name of the troublemaker in a disapproving tone and the troublemaker stops what they're doing or walks away.
I know it's hard not to be anxious, but try not to be as they'll catch onto your vibes. Do deep breathing exercises if you have to to center yourself.

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
dusty
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:12 pm

don't pay $700. for a burned out bird...i agree with capt. and roz on the 300. but i think that is a bit much...this bird has serious problems and you are taking on a great challenge...copy these posts and show them to her...if she keeps the bird it will likely die without the help you can provide...good luck on your endeavour...we are all on your side

dusty
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks guys! im hoping marty will except the new bird as part of his flock because he has done so with all of my dogs (maybe he thinks hes a dog?) and maybe he'll hate the new bird i just hope marty the relationship marty and i have doesnt change to much cuz i would hate for him to be unhappy Sad and after my dad makes his decision we'll see how things go! im gonna try to talk her down by explaing how much a handfed tame grey costs, vet bills, cage, toys, food, ect. will cost. hopefully she'll understand what i explain everything and how the bird will have a much better life! thanks everyone Smile
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:14 pm

I just wanted to let you guys know my dad said yes and he'll be talking to the lady about the money in a few hours so I hope everything world out!
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

coral wrote:
I just wanted to let you guys know my dad said yes and he'll be talking to the lady about the money in a few hours so I hope everything world out!
Good luck!

ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Good luck!! Let us know all about it.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:24 pm

i hope everything works out well for you

dusty
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:52 pm

okay so i went to talk to my friend and her mom and i offered $400 and her mom was one of those people who think just because they have a parrot means their worth as much as a hand fed baby anyways she said shed think about it and pauline said it will most likely work out because they want the bird to go to someone who they know will take awesome care of it! so im keeping my hopes up and i got to talk and pet mikko a little hes just so scared poor thing! well im hopefully gonna know in the next few days!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:17 am

Good Luck , Coral
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:59 am

Hold tight, I bet you'll soon mho have a project on your hands.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:59 am

it sounds positive...good luck

dusty
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:33 pm

I don't know much about CAGs but if this happens i'll be around to help however i can
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks you guys! Smile im really hoping everything works out!
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:49 pm

we are too

dusty
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:51 pm

dusty wrote:
we are too

dusty
Mhm, that. Crossing fingers for you!

coral
Sun Conure

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:31 pm

i tried posting links of the cages i was looking at on ebay but i cant cuz im a new member anyways the first one is 41x31x75 with like 3 round ladders and a hook on the top play gym it looks pretty cool Very Happy will that be big enough though? the second one is 45x35x63 the play top isnt that big and it kinda looks like a house one side and the other side doesnt go up as high but the play top is on that side its intresting looking but im wondering if the way that its made cuts off a lot of room? if you go on ebay and look up large bird cages youll find the ones im talking about xD if you guys have any ideas for cages post some links! and thank you again for all support! Smile
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:10 pm

hannah and i liked this one for her grey...i have one for my amazon

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=5531&product=5699

dusty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..   

Back to top Go down

If this happens ill have a big project on my hands..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: General Care & Information-
Jump to: