Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:57 am

I was snooping on the Edmonton Humane Society website this week (I like to peek just for fun!) and low and behold, they had something other than budgies and cockatiels this time around, like they usually have.

They have a two year old male Red Bellied Parrot for adoption. Here is the link:

http://www.edmontonhumanesociety.com/index.php?option=com_adoptions&view=details&adoptionid=45330&Itemid=6

It got me thinking (things that make you go hmmm.....). If I had my choice I would love to get a white bellied Caique, but $1500.00 from a breeder is a little steep for me. This little guy is going for $300.00 (plus a cage, etc.). Considerably more affordable, but still requiring finding the money.

I know very little about these birds, they seem to be very rare here in Canada. The websites I have gone to seem to say a lot of the same things, and the cost from a breeder in Eastern Canada seems to vary from $400.00 to $600.00 for a new baby. My wife is not thrilled, she thinks he is kind of ugly. I kind of like the look, especially the males.

Can anyone give me some information on these birds? How sociable are they? How much trouble am I contemplating here? Would he be likely to get along with Merlin? What happened to your first bird when you added your second (Deb I'm thinking of your situation in particular as it is almost identical to this, though Scotty is significantly bigger)? Any and all information and opinions are welcome!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:50 am

RogerP wrote:
I was snooping on the Edmonton Humane Society website this week (I like to peek just for fun!) and low and behold, they had something other than budgies and cockatiels this time around, like they usually have.

They have a two year old male Red Bellied Parrot for adoption. Here is the link:

http://www.edmontonhumanesociety.com/index.php?option=com_adoptions&view=details&adoptionid=45330&Itemid=6

It got me thinking (things that make you go hmmm.....). If I had my choice I would love to get a white bellied Caique, but $1500.00 from a breeder is a little steep for me. This little guy is going for $300.00 (plus a cage, etc.). Considerably more affordable, but still requiring finding the money.

I know very little about these birds, they seem to be very rare here in Canada. The websites I have gone to seem to say a lot of the same things, and the cost from a breeder in Eastern Canada seems to vary from $400.00 to $600.00 for a new baby. My wife is not thrilled, she thinks he is kind of ugly. I kind of like the look, especially the males.

Can anyone give me some information on these birds? How sociable are they? How much trouble am I contemplating here? Would he be likely to get along with Merlin? What happened to your first bird when you added your second (Deb I'm thinking of your situation in particular as it is almost identical to this, though Scotty is significantly bigger)? Any and all information and opinions are welcome!
A red belly's in your humane society?! How the heck did that happen?

Don't know much about them. As for adding 2ND (3rd, 4th, 5th. . .) bird, I added without really worrying about how they'd get along. I was always of the attitude that I was getting the bird for me. They could hate each other, or love each other I didn't care so long as they didn't maim or kill each other. When I had a bunch of "larger" pet parrots, I could have them all out at once. Just some of them really didn't get along so those would be across the room from each other.

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:49 am

patdbunny wrote:
A red belly's in your humane society?! How the heck did that happen?

Apparently he was turned in by his owner, I don't get it either, I have never seen anything bigger than a Cockatiel on that site, but there he is this week. Not sure why he was given up, likely due to the owner not having the time for him (see that everywhere on Kijiji). Not sure if he has any behavioural issues. Part of me wants to go check him out but I am afraid if I do that I won't leave without him, and if I do that I have nothing ready at this time. On the other hand he could be more than I can handle.

I know the basics about them (Poicephalus, supposedly the best talker of the bunch though that does not matter to me, fairly even tempered and supposedly more social than other Poi, show offs in front of company). One site said they need to be taught rules and guidelines to curb any territorial aggression problems (doesn't that fit most birds?). I am just looking for some closer to home experience, nothing that sounds like it comes out of a textbook.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:38 am

Natacha on the other forum, Shade on AA , has both a male and now a young female i think. you could try looking her up ,she also has a blog/website. Let me know ,i can get you more info on contacting her if you need it.She is Shade on parrotforums.com another site I'm on also.
http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:09 am

I've actually done quite a bit of research on red bellies (my favorite non-Australian parrot).

They are quiet, independent, and can play by themselves for hours (typical of all pois).

From what I've read, they aren't very aggressive/territorial. But I guess all individuals are different.

But I guess the best thing you could do is check him out. See if there's a click.

Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:54 am

my sengal is very quiet...he just sits around and looks pretty...he sits on the top of his cage all day and doesn't bother with the other birds...now my greencheek doesn't get along with any other bird....lol...go for it roger, i don't think you will be disappointed

dusty
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 am

Seems you and Merlin don't have a lot of issues ,you might need a little drama in your life like the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Taking in a second hand, mature bird with no knowledge of its history - I think you need to throw everything you read out the door and go into it with no preconceived notion of what that species is/is not supposed to be like.

You need to have the attitude - It is what it is. Years later you can reflect back as to what characteristics are what you've read, what aren't.

That's my historic attitude with taking in older birds. When I meet an older bird, I assess it for its current and immediate behavior. I decide whether I'm willing/able to deal with what I've observed over the time I've spent with it, which is usually no more than about 30 minutes. I have the attitude - What I see is what I get. I have no thought in my mind that I will change the bird. That's not to say that I won't be able to change it (hopefully for the better), but it helps me so I'm not disappointed by expectations that it might not be able to meet.

Sounds like dating and finding a mate, huh?

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 pm

I think Pdb has the right attitude about older birds, I 'm not going to save the world when i take on these challenges and i turn down many birds that are too much for me.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:55 am

I woudn't say he's older as he's only two years old, but I understand what you mean, assess him for his current behavior, then decide whether I'm willing and/or able to deal with what I've observed. The Shelter has provided no feedback on his behaviour at all, so I don't know anything yet.

He's still there tonight, and if he is there by Friday I will probably go take a look at him. I'll let you know what I find.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them   

Back to top Go down

Red Bellied Parrots - tell me about them
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: Parrot Species-
Jump to: