Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Poop training. How?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

Poop training. How? Empty
PostSubject: Poop training. How?   Poop training. How? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:01 pm

I realized that Chico is pooping everywhere and I don't do nothing about that except walking with paper towel.
Any suggestions how to start?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Poop training. How?   Poop training. How? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:14 pm

I've never bothered to potty train a tiel. But this is how I do it with the "larger" parrots:
1. Put the bird on the ground (For some reason putting them on the ground stimulates them to poopy.)

2. Give it "the command" - whatever you want the bird to respond to - I use "go potty". It can be whatever - "rocket" "bomb" "poop" "shhhhiiiiitakkkeee mushrooms" "Poo, Todd, Poo".

3. Watch for "the wiggle" which can look like any of the following: scooting backwards, shaking tail from side to side, squatting-commonly accompanied by a slight raising of the wings. Birds tend to do "the wiggle" a few seconds before they bomb.

4. Repeat "the command" until your bird does "the wiggle" and produces a "bomb".

5. As soon as the "bomb" hits the ground pick your bird up and give him lots of praise "Good Poo, Todd".

6. Repeat the above approximately every 15-20 minutes when the bird's out with you.

Birds have evolved to poop often so they are light for flight (whoa! I'm a poet and didn't even know it!). That's why you have to let them go to a poo spot every 15-20 minutes. While they can hold it for a lot longer, they don't tend to without a good reason. Your shoulder is not a good reason. It's a convenient branch to poo on.

Learn what your bird's wiggle looks like and you can save yourself a lot of laundry - if you're quick you can scoop your bird off of you before the bomb's released.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Poop training. How?   Poop training. How? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks! I usually know when the "Bomb" is coming and now I know how to start.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Poop training. How?   Poop training. How? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Hey - since Chico's flighted, you might want to teach her potty associated with a particular place. I was going to suggest her cage, but if you change cages you'd have to re-teach her. So, something like a simple T stand. Put her there first, then do the potty command, etc. She'll make the association that that spot is the potty spot. Hopefully, you'll get to where you can point to the "spot" and she'll fly there to poo.

I just thought of something funny! If you could find a small toilet, you could affix a perch to it. . . need I say more?

Last edited by patdbunny on Fri May 20, 2011 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding potty chair)
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Poop training. How?   Poop training. How? EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:18 pm

Roz
It's good advise. Chico's wings was clipped in the store, but she can jump like crazy. I'll think about something like you said. Thanks Roz!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poop training. How?   Poop training. How? Empty

Back to top Go down

Poop training. How?
Page 1 of 1