HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Outings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hannahbird
African Grey

PostSubject: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:50 pm

I want to take Zada on outings with me. I know theres a thread about this but I cant remember where it is. Zada is a little big for me to just sneak her in places. But I want to be able to socialize her. What to do..
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Take her anywhere that doesn't have a "no pets" sign. I take Cheney Bird to the dollar store, on the bus, to the farmer's market.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Parks are nice, if there's one nearby. You can bring Zada, some treats and maybe a toy or two and just have her hang with you. Even bring a book and just have her on or near you while you relax and read.

henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:19 pm

I take Jakiepoo every where and so does Josie. You name it, every where except the places who tell us she can't come back, she's been though the drawer at the drive=thru at the bank and all the tellers know her and give her dog treats.Take her everywhere. When i tell people who are looking for me somewhere i tell them "look for the guy with the parrot on his shoulder". Take her everywhere.There's no subsitute for a well socialized parrot.

Last edited by henpecked on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hannahbird
African Grey

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:24 pm

henpecked wrote:
I take Jakiepoo every where and so does Josie. You name it, every where except the places who tell us she can't come back, she's been though the drawer at the drive=thru at the bank and all the tellers know her and give her dog treats.Take her everywhere.
Okay cool! Aw I want to meet Jakiepoo!
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:07 pm

hannahbird wrote:
Aw I want to meet Jakiepoo!
Who doesn't?
I'm jealous about the weather. Before I took Chico everywhere it was possible. I loved our walks to park, but now is cold for birds, we can walk only dog and soon feed deers...(actually we're feeding them all year round)
Try to take her everywhere and enjoy!
(I hope Lucky will be ready for next summer to walk with us)
Back to top Go down
hannahbird
African Grey

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Its kind of chilly here, is that okay?
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm gonna start taking Rory more places, especially now that he's much better with his harness. And the au it's looking Tika will soon be better than him! We go to the farmers market, walks down the street, around the lake, too my horse, into some shops but not into food shops. We go to cafe's that have outdoor seating. I love the time spent together, and showing off my pretty bird too Smile
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Beware of the nutters who will try to grab at your bird, though. I had one lady a couple of weeks ago ask if she could buy him from me. I've been kind of nervous about taking him out since then since I don't want people to try to take him.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Yeh take her ou. If it's cold don't keep her out long , but yeah ,take her out.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:25 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
Beware of the nutters who will try to grab at your bird, though. I had one lady a couple of weeks ago ask if she could buy him from me. I've been kind of nervous about taking him out since then since I don't want people to try to take him.
Mmm, definitely that! Not so much the trying to swipe your bird or buy her, but the ones who think they know how to handle birds and they've never handled one in their life. I've found that out of all the hazards, humans are the worst in my opinion. Simply because they're so commonly bothersome and there's not a whole lot you can do about them. I don't *think* you'll have as much trouble since Zada's big and fearsome looking (even though you know she's a sweetie), but you'll still have the occasional person who thinks "Oh, I love animals and I saw that girl cradle that big bird in her arms - I can do that too and won't it make a wonderful Christmas card!" ... *grab*
Yeah. So. Watch out for people like that. Don't be afraid to tell people no if they ask to hold Zada and she's having a bad day, or let the person know if they're being too rough or something. I'm not saying don't let anyone hold her, just look out for the... overzealous ones. If you explain how birds need to become comfortable with new people most people will understand. It's better to have people think you're being a little rude than to let Zada get hurt or bite someone because they don't know what they're doing.

o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird

o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:39 am

Remember taking her out doesn't necessarily mean outside. Take her with you to friends houses, shut the doors and let her explore!
I hadn't had any trouble with people, it's generally pretty easy to tell someone who genuinely knows birds compared to someone who thinks they know. People who know birds approach birds a different way and act with more respect, people who don't seem to gawk more and approach birds much differently.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:52 am

I wish Einstein would let me put his harness on Sad

I've tried and tried, but no luck.

Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Im late to the thread, but I agree with everyone else who says take her everywhere. I took JJ everywhere and plan to do the same with the new baby as soon as I can. (need to work on that harness thing pretty soon!). As a matter of fact, baby bird is going with me tonight to babysit a friends son. First outing, woohoo!

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever, for what you have tamed."
~Antoine de Saint Exupery

....... ~*~ Vicki ~*~
.... Allie.... Sam.... Caesar
...... Mack...... Micky

http://BunchesOfBudgies.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird

o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Rory bird is gonna come with me to an old cars show today, it's a beautiful almost summers day and he'll love it. If only we could bring Teek with us.

Question, when you guys go out what do you do for food and water? So far we haven't really gone anywhere for long enough to need it, or if we have it's been a friends house and finding food and water is easy enough.
Do you take a bottle for water and a little dish? Some snacks? I don't know how long we'll be gone for so I'm considering taking a small bottle just for him, then he can drink out of the lid. And some sultanas, pine nuts and pellets??? They're his favourite foods ATM. Easy distractions when he's trying to destroy his harness.
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:43 pm

I have one local customer who takes his Blue & Gold Macaw to Home Depot with him - he says everytime he goes he plans on about a 1-2 hour trip as people always have questions - but it is great for socializing Very Happy

Just make sure she wears her harness!
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:30 pm

o'TikaandAurora wrote:
Rory bird is gonna come with me to an old cars show today, it's a beautiful almost summers day and he'll love it. If only we could bring Teek with us.

Question, when you guys go out what do you do for food and water? So far we haven't really gone anywhere for long enough to need it, or if we have it's been a friends house and finding food and water is easy enough.
Do you take a bottle for water and a little dish? Some snacks? I don't know how long we'll be gone for so I'm considering taking a small bottle just for him, then he can drink out of the lid. And some sultanas, pine nuts and pellets??? They're his favourite foods ATM. Easy distractions when he's trying to destroy his harness.
I have food, water and a carrier with me on outings. It's like having a human toddler - food, water, stroller; just on a smaller scale for the birds.

thinking
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
dusty
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:36 pm

ok so i took everyone's advice and took mango on his first outing...he charmed all the girls in the bank, he talked and showed his feathers...BUT what you didn't tell me was he was going to poop on the floor...lol...thats a lot of crap from a big bird...after that i took him to a store and he sat on the store owners arm, try and get the smile off her face...lol...and thankfully no poop there...mango was quiet and calm in the jeep and very alert looking out the windows...it was fun...will definately do it again

dusty and mango
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:19 pm

I have my birdie bag that I keep packed and ready to go all the time. It's got a small Tupperware dish with pellets in it, a small Baggie with some treats (nuts, seeds, whatever), another empty Tupperware for water, assorted chew toys, hand sanitizer for anyone who wants to touch my bird (both before and after), and a bunch of tissues for poo patrol. I keep intending to add some spray-n-wash wipes for laundry accidents, but never remember to buy them while at the store. It all fits nicely in a small little fanny-pack type bag which makes it easy to carry. 

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever, for what you have tamed."
~Antoine de Saint Exupery

....... ~*~ Vicki ~*~
.... Allie.... Sam.... Caesar
...... Mack...... Micky

http://BunchesOfBudgies.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:02 pm

I need to start taking Sebastian out. i think my biggest worry would be noise. When he gets excited he starts whistling and making high pitched noises that are really loud and would echo tremendously at a big store. I could easily take Arthur out, I have one of those open faced backpacks for him, but I do want to get him a harness.

http://www.voliveri.com
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird

o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:36 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:
It all fits nicely in a small little fanny-pack type bag which makes it easy to carry. 

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
hannahbird
African Grey

PostSubject: Re: Outings   Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:13 pm

dusty wrote:
ok so i took everyone's advice and took mango on his first outing...he charmed all the girls in the bank, he talked and showed his feathers...BUT what you didn't tell me was he was going to poop on the floor...lol...thats a lot of crap from a big bird...after that i took him to a store and he sat on the store owners arm, try and get the smile off her face...lol...and thankfully no poop there...mango was quiet and calm in the jeep and very alert looking out the windows...it was fun...will definately do it again

dusty and mango
Soooo jealous of your little Mango! I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outings   

Back to top Go down

Outings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Care :: General Care & Information-
Jump to: