Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arthur update....making progress I think

Go down 
+12
coral
GlassOnion
patdbunny
Vikki
kaeladedah
Margaret
evil chicken
VickiNumbers
flappinhappy
dusty
ScooterNScotty
RogerP
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:06 am

Just make sure they are the long satin opera gloves... to match your hat
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 3:46 am

... She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that conditioned her parrot to accept her elbow-length satin opera gloves as a matter of course. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 4:22 am

Vikki wrote:
Not being a pest at all, I deal with this issue on a daily basis it seems so I will help the best I can.

With the towel, use as muted a color as you can. You don't want a flaming orange towel that screams at him when you go to get him. Also, try rubbing dried lavender on the towel. There are several dried plants that offer a calming effect when their scent is put into an item. Chamomile is a good one too. You don't' want to use oils though, too strong a scent.

Unfortunately, if the little guys is freaked no matter what you do, the towel is the only way to go and you will have to chase him and freak him out a bit. I know, you don't want to give him a heart attack, but for bad cases like this, you have to force your hand sometimes. yes, he'll scream and bite and well, he's afraid to come out so he will. But if you keep at it, do it every day like clock work and make his time outside the cage worthwhile, fun and playful, after a time, he will realize that you're not there to hurt him. Be as gentle as you can with the toweling, but the best way, as I mentioned to others before... wait til he's on the floor of his cage, cover him entirely with the towel and grab him firmly around the neck with your finger and thumb. Don't worry, you won't choke him. Bird windpipes are minuscule. A macaw windpipe is about the width of a pencil so you can imagine how small your birds is. It takes a lot to choke them. Just be sure, no matter what you do, that you don't squeeze them around the chest.

If he flaps about and fusses after you grab him, swaddle him with the towel and grasp him around the wings with your other hand. Sometimes it helps to hold them around the neck backwards (with their beak pointed up your arm) so that you are free to do what you need to with their bodies.

I know its frightening and I know dealing with the screaming and fussing is sometimes terrifying, but you have to keep at it. It may take him a few weeks, it might take him a few months, but you can get him to realize eventually that being out is fun and he will want to come out.

Up until the cage change, Arthur would come out of the cage on his own, he just did not want to be near me, even when he jumped off the cage. Do I let him come out and then towel him, or towel him in the cage and then bring him out? I tried swaddling him before once I had him toweled, but the impression I got was that he just gave up fussing because he was trapped, not because he had relaxed. If I give him the space he will take off and I will be chasing him again. Also, I need to take him away from the cage right?

The sole reason for considering the gloves is to prevent me from flinching and pulling away, thus giving him power.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 5:22 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
... She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that conditioned her parrot to accept her elbow-length satin opera gloves as a matter of course. Smile
vicki 5280
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Roger, its best to do any kind of training or stress-related activities away from their cage, that way they do't associate the two. If wearing a glove would make things easier for you, then try it. Perhaps it is your fear that is setting him off, thats a huge possibility. Try everything until you find what works.

@ Vicki - Julsiebean priceless
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:32 am

You can desensitize him to the gloves first, like any other new object. Place where he can see them, place closer and closer until he no longer reacts. Shoot - you can even make a pair of gloves into a hanging toy for him to play with. Then maybe sew some beads to the ends of some gloves when you wear them. Maybe he'll step up onto his new "glove toy on a man".
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:41 am

Personally Roger... I think if you just stick your hand in there for a few more days, you'll have enough scar tissue that you wont NEED gloves anymore and it wont be an issue. I mean seriously?! How many people did it take to figure THAT one out? LOL!

Hang in there Rog... It'll work out.

Pwomise, pwomise, hope to die,
Stick a needle in my eye.

(Gads, it's getting late and I'm getting a little punchy, can you tell?)
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:32 am

RogerP
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 1:50 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
Personally Roger... I think if you just stick your hand in there for a few more days, you'll have enough scar tissue that you wont NEED gloves anymore and it wont be an issue. I mean seriously?! How many people did it take to figure THAT one out? LOL!

Hang in there Rog... It'll work out.

Pwomise, pwomise, hope to die,
Stick a needle in my eye.

(Gads, it's getting late and I'm getting a little punchy, can you tell?)

Thanks Vicki, I have the gloves out by the cage, but I can't bring myself to use them. Better night tonight, Arthur came out of his cage tonight for the first night since he moved to his permanent cage. He spent some time on the arm of the couch (coaxed there at first by an almond sliver) and came in and out several times, eventually climbing all over the outside of his cage. He let me give him skritches on several occasions outside the cage without a bite. He still won't trust me enough to step up, but I didn't try to push it either, it being his first night "out of the slammer".

We'll see how it goes from here.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 4:19 pm

RogerP wrote:
Thanks Vicki, I have the gloves out by the cage, but I can't bring myself to use them. Better night tonight, Arthur came out of his cage tonight for the first night since he moved to his permanent cage. He spent some time on the arm of the couch (coaxed there at first by an almond sliver) and came in and out several times, eventually climbing all over the outside of his cage. He let me give him skritches on several occasions outside the cage without a bite. He still won't trust me enough to step up, but I didn't try to push it either, it being his first night "out of the slammer".

I think that's EXCELLENT progress. Be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks Deb, I am happy with this. Hopefully I can continue to move forward this time.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Roger, call yourself happy!
From what I read, Arthur slowly trust you more.
Yeey, Arthur!

p.s. Do you belive that our Lucky won't let me pet him yet, only my bf? And I call myself lucky!
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 6:57 pm

can i have an arthur update?
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Yes, I'd love to hear how it's going as well!
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Me too, me too!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 3:56 am

Okay, I have been holding off because I have been going from elation at each tiny step forward to despair and telling myself that I have made a horrible mistake in taking Arthur in, because I am way over my head! Then stopping myself with the thought that, if it took two years for the former idiot owner to mess him up, how can I expect to "unscrew" him in the three months I have had him with me. It is this thought alone that keeps me going right now, as it seems like things are moving ata glacial pace.

Now, on to progress (or lack thereof, depending on the day). Arthur seems to have some kind of a connection/love affair (not sure what to call it) with my wife. He will come out of the cage for me and sit on the arm of the couch. He will allow skritches (at his discretion). If the cage door is open he goes in and out and little else. If I close the cage door once he comes out, he will climb all over his cage and play with toys on his cage. He will step up on my arm to get a treat, though he steps off immediately upon receiving his treat. He will NOT allow my hands anywhere near him in any way, either running away or trying to remove my fingers. If I move too quick he will snap at me for anything.

He is far better behaved with my wife. He will do all of the above but WILL step up on her hand as long as the hand does not move. He rarely attacks her fingers and she seems to be able to settle him down if he gets too bitey. He is also regurgitating for her and licks her fingers. I am still spending time with him but I am also having Camille spend time with him as well, since she seems to be making better progress at this time than I am. I figure if he will step up for her and allow her to handle him, maybe he will be less afraid of me down the road.

Does this plan have merit, or no?
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:35 am

Well, for one thing, from a safe distance, that sounds like ENORMOUS progress. Dude, I think you should give yourself a big pat on the back.

Your wife may have herself a bird, however. They do have their opinions. I'll probably always feel slightly guilty for "stealing" Scotty. He is mostly pretty good with Bill, but there are times when he'll get pretty aggressive with him. He was supposed to be Bill's bird, but it's me he chose.

You think you have it bad--poor guy introduced me to birds and both decided to prefer me. If we ever get another I will try to make it hate me.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 am

i think you are making great progress, it may not seem like it to you, but it sure does to me...you have the same problem i have with my goffin and i am slowly but surely winning him over, it just takes time...they prefer women...try sitting next to your wife when she has the bird...that finally worked for me...she would hold the bird and i petted it...it has taken a long time for me to get this far and the same holds true for you...always remember its the bird not you that lacks the will to be friends...standing at the side i can see the improvement...congratulations and keep up the good work

dusty
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 10:28 am

What they said. If you go back and read your earlier posts regarding Arthur, I think it'll help you see what tremendous progress you actually have made- regardless of who that progress is with! We dont get to pick who they choose to like. That's how my hubs ended up with Caesar and MY Yorkie! it just is what it is sometimes. I think you're doing amazingly well. Keep up the good work!!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks for the support guys! I know I can't be impatient with Arthur, that he has to work at his own speed, but sometimes it is hard to wait!!!

I appreciate the feedback, though!
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 pm

I agree with what they said! You ARE making progress! Birds do have their favorites, but that's not to say Arthur won't come to see you as a buddy too. It will just take time. It already sounds like he's settling down and starting to come around. If he ends up favoring Camille then that may even help him get used to you, because he'll be able to see that she thinks your not scary.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:48 pm

thats great progress! thats where i was at with marty around three months into having him! it takes forever for a bird to like you lol! marty actually prefers males but he adjusted to me so there is hope lol. your doing great and marty started loving me when i gave him a cheez-it you can try it if you want Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 1335033401 now every time some new comes in the room he demands a cheez-it or else he will attack them
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:00 am

Thought I would update, since the yo-yo keeps on bouncin'. I had to go out of town with my son for a karate tournament recently. While I was away, my wife continued working with Arthur. Things were going well until a setback occured for her as well. I guess Arthur got scared at some point while trying to step onto the arm of the couch, and ended up on the floor. Camille went over to get him and she had to chase him around the living room, ending with having to towel him to get him back to the cage. Now he is not happy with her and would not come out for her until today, and then goes right back into his cage.

On the plus side, he is coming out for me and has figured out that he only gets a treat from me if he steps up on my arm. He did it once for a bribe (he could see the treat), then he figured out if he touched my arm, he got a treat. Soon he was stepping up at what felt like the "step up" command, and even staying there to eat the treat. He still will not have anything to do with my hands other than to take treats and try to remove my fingers, but I will take it, for now at least. Yay Arthur!

Just thought I would share.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:09 am

its a slow process gaining their trust...if we only knew what was in their past that started the mistrust...you are doing awesome roger, kudos to you...i still have a few setbacks with sammy, it just depends how he feels that day

dusty
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 3:01 am

try cheese itz! thats how i made marty like me Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 2041350370 youre doing great with him though! at least he associates you with something good right? thats a good thing i think! Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 3508084831
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Arthur update....making progress I think
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Training :: General & Trick Training-
Jump to: