Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sign Petition addressed to: Petco

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

Sign Petition addressed to: Petco Empty
PostSubject: Sign Petition addressed to: Petco   Sign Petition addressed to: Petco EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Please sign petition addressed to: Petco. I just did. Inform as many
friends, as you can. Help to stop mistreating their animals. Leave that message on your site/blog/facebook etc.

Sign Petition addressed to: Petco Petno

Quote :
On Wednesday September 8, 2011 in Johnson City, NY our area had
gotten hit by a flood and the manager wouldn't allow the associates to
take the animals homento save them from what could potentically kill
them. On Thursday when people came in boats and tried to save these
animals and were turn away by the local police. More than 100 animals
are dead because of the flood and Petco's negelct.This is not the first
time that the animals of Petco has mistreated. In some of the stores
to save money if the animal is sick or dying they either put them in
the fridge or in the freezer to die. Let's try to make this the last
though. Animals should not be considered inventory.

by Lauren Rasa, Binghamton, NY

Petition to Petco

Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Sign Petition addressed to: Petco   Sign Petition addressed to: Petco EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Done, definitely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Sign Petition addressed to: Petco   Sign Petition addressed to: Petco EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 11:24 pm

Maybe I'm cranky because I just got done sitting on a jury and I have less faith than usual in human conduct, but In my book, that's not a petition. The text is not even addressed to Petco, but to the signers. It doesn't ask for any specific action on Petco's part. At best it's a multiply signed piece of hate mail. What's Petco management going to do with that? If the letter said that Petco has a documented history of neglect, substantiated that neglect and requested that Petco institute a list of specific policies, then I might consider signing it. As it is, I don't see it accomplishing anything. Standing outside this store's door with picket signs, that might accomplish something,locally, but this is just going to go into the round file IMO.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Sign Petition addressed to: Petco   Sign Petition addressed to: Petco EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 9:31 pm

Deb., I totally agree that petitions send to those kind of companies(Petco, Petsmart, etc.) land in garbage! With the lawyers they have, I'm not naive no more to think that they'll respond...

But there is other side of every petition on-line: they became public-->people read it-->people start thinking and paying attention, where they are shopping(I hope so!)
That's the reason I wrote petition.
I started my pet shopping from Petco too, like most people I believe. And now I ignore both: Petco and Petsmart.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Sign Petition addressed to: Petco   Sign Petition addressed to: Petco EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Margaret, you have a good point. I completely agree that somehow, the word needs to be spread whenever animals are mistreated. I'm just not sure that signing an online petition that isn't even a petition is really the way to do it.

I try to be a fair person but it's awfully hard sometimes. Especially when I want to think the best of people/organizations I like and the worst of people/organizations I don't like. But because I know I have a tendency to jump on the bandwagon, I have to make a conscious effort NOT to, and to stop and look around (so to speak) before I make a decision whether the bandwagon is where I really want to be.

In this particular situation, besides the point that Deb makes, the things I wonder about are 1) Will this letter, with all of it's "signatures" ever get to the people who need to see it (whether they read it or not)? 2) Even if it gets there, none of these signatures are verifiable, thus all of that outrage is essentially wasted, and 3) Is there any way to absolutely verify that the event mentioned in the letter happened the way it was noted to have happened? If there was any kind of a misunderstanding on the part of the person who wrote the letter, or any of her facts are wrong, I'm affixing my name to something that is potentially libelous. Not that I expect that the company would pursue action against anyone because of it, but it's the principle.

My original statement stands: I agree with you that people need to start paying attention to where they shop and the treatment the animals receive in those places. I wish the PetBox stores would stop selling animals period unless or until there is some kind of legislation enacted to hold them to some kind of standard. But because people are going to continue needing to buy pet supplies and the PetBox stores will continue to sell them at the best prices, rather than signing something like this, a REAL petition should be written asking your legislator to draft legislation to regulate animal sales at pet stores or demand transparency for consumers in where they obtain their animals. When that happens, I'll walk it door to door myself and hand-deliver it to my State Representative.

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Sign Petition addressed to: Petco   Sign Petition addressed to: Petco EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 11:10 pm

I don't know, maybe after all I'm naive...
Just My opinion:
Quote :
1) Will this letter, with all of it's "signatures" ever get to the people who need to see it (whether they read it or not)
No, I don't thing so. Like I mentioned previously, most likely it will land in garbage. But bad fame about company will last long, and that's the point IMO.
Quote :
2) Even if it gets there, none of these signatures are verifiable, thus all of that outrage is essentially wasted
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but I had to give my first, last name, living address, and e-mail to go through. So that all was bs?
Quote :
3) Is there any way to absolutely verify that the event mentioned in the letter happened the way it was noted to have happened?
There is discussion and facts(recorded video) abot it on FB: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-Petco/107420489294808

Maybe it's not a perfect solution, I don't know, but anybody have better idea? Pretending I don't see that? Unfortunately, Petco is everywhere, like "Kardashians clan" lately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sign Petition addressed to: Petco   Sign Petition addressed to: Petco Empty

Back to top Go down

Sign Petition addressed to: Petco
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Off Topic Posts :: Non-Parrot Discussions-
Jump to: