Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side Empty
PostSubject: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptySun May 22, 2011 1:04 am

So something happened tonight that has not happened in a very, very long time. My horses disappeared!

I have three horses and only one enclosure for them. The two old guys get a different lunch than the fat pony, so I let them out onto the main property to eat. I forgot to close my front gate! Had no idea they left until it was pretty much close to dark and I went out to put them back in their enclosure. I ended driving up and down the road and, for the life of me, I can't understand how I am unable to see a 1000 pound animal. It was way dark when I went home. Figured I'd check later and see if they were back.

10 minutes later, there are two pairs of eyes looking in my bedroom. HAY!!! We want back on this side of the fence!!
The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side Thing+1The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side Picture+006
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptySun May 22, 2011 1:26 am

Aww! Glad they stuck around - I probably would have been much more freaked out. We have two QHs and a mini and have the same feeding problem. Someone's gotta convince those ponies they can't eat like the rest of them Razz We used to be able to just let everybody out and graze in our backyard without a fence, but then the pony decided it would be fun to lead everybody on a stampede down the road to a neighbors house and back. We didn't ever doubt they'd come back, but we figured 3 horses and a goat running down a state highway could be at the very least a terrible distraction to drivers. Needless to say, we now have more fences. Oh, what we go through for animals! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptySun May 22, 2011 1:58 am

I still can't imagine how someone loses a horse, muchless two! Roz I mean, they are pretty big. I'd think someone would notice.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptySun May 22, 2011 6:16 am

Come on, you never got boring and want to walk away for a while Roz
Good they came back!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptySun May 22, 2011 6:37 am

It was just time for a field trip. That's all!

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptySun May 22, 2011 9:28 pm

I think that patbunny's horses like the escape and did it again today. That's why she is not among us- she's chasing them!
It's impossible bird person have a family or a private life Crazy
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:23 am

Quote :
I think that patbunny's horses like the escape and did it again today. That's why she is not among us- she's chasing them!
In the beginning, it was actually kinda sad how much I had to chase them around to catch them. They weren't treated very well by the prior owner.

Today, Evil Chicken and I were at Petapalooza with the cat rescue we volunteer with, Friends of Cats.
The local radio station's photographer took some pics of Ducky. When those pics show up on their website, I'll post for y'all.

Quote :
I still can't imagine how someone loses a horse, muchless two! Roz I mean, they are pretty big. I'd think someone would notice.
I swear! I am blind! I lose them on my own property! The brown one HIDES! He kinda meanders behind some big bushes and stands really still. My husband gives me a hard time ALL the time about not being able to see them.

Quote :
pony decided it would be fun to lead everybody on a stampede down the road
Ponies are TROUBLEMAKERS! I can contain the two arabs with twine (no joke!). The pony keeps stomping down every fence we put up.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:26 am

A horse can hide? Seriously?

Ever since I read Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses, I've really wanted to learn to horseback ride.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:49 am

patdbunny wrote:
Ponies are TROUBLEMAKERS! I can contain the two arabs with twine (no joke!). The pony keeps stomping down every fence we put up.

You're tellin' me!! When I used to be in a working student program at the farm I trained at they had a lady there who bred Welsh hunter ponies and I was the only one small enough to work them after they'd been sent away to get started under saddle. There are just way too many stories... ungh...

It's like the amount of trouble gets condensed and concentrated the smaller the horse... just imagine how much fun mini's are. I think you need one Wink
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Shocked I want a mini SO bad. There's a local mini breeder who might want to do some sort of partial trade for a baby ringneck. I'm so tempted. Are you saying the minis are trouble makers Xs 1000? Shocked
If so, I'm good. I don't need one. I have enough troublemakers in my life.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:40 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Shocked I want a mini SO bad. There's a local mini breeder who might want to do some sort of partial trade for a baby ringneck. I'm so tempted. Are you saying the minis are trouble makers Xs 1000? Shocked
If so, I'm good. I don't need one. I have enough troublemakers in my life.

DO IT!! Ours is definitely a trouble-maker, but I'd take him over most snotty lesson ponies any day. Their size is a blessing and curse. They can get out of stuff easily, but ours sticks around. When we put up a temporary/makeshift tape "fence" to get our horses out of the main corral for grazing we didn't even bother putting two rows of it. The mini just goes right under it, but he'll stay round the big guys.

I think the biggest "problem" people have with minis is actually close to small birds. You'd think they'd be easier to work with, but you've actually got to be more careful, mindful, and firm when you're handling them. They're tiny, so it's really easy to let them get away with bad habits and behavioral no-nos, but when it comes down to getting trimmed and floated and such they're "slippery." You can put something that's 15.2 on cross ties, but you get a 32 incher in a stall and try to keep it in one place and it'll still run circles around you if it wants :Blech:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side   The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side Empty

Back to top Go down

The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Other Animals :: Household Pets-
Jump to: