Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you/would you handle passive resistence?

Go down 
+2
VickiNumbers
ScooterNScotty
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

How do you/would you handle passive resistence? Empty
PostSubject: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 6:55 pm

I rarely complain about Scotty. He's easy to keep entertained, he dotes on me, and he's never bitten me. But I am getting a little frustrated with the doe-eyed gaze while steadfastly either refusing to step up or offering used goodies as an alternative. This is generally when he suspects I'm going to put him back in his cage and he's not ready to go. (When he's ready to go, he goes himself and closes the door behind him!). I can, and do, just scoop him up. I make a fuss over him, give him some scritches, and generally try to reinforce his stepping up, but he remains... inert when he's not fully on board. Short of formally re-training the command and generally trying to make going back into the cage a positive thing by adding something enjoyable, any ideas on how to handle it? Should I just continue to bodily coerce him? He doesn't really object, he just keeps giving me the "this is your idea, not mine" look. It's not as if he doesn't like his cage, he very often goes in and out of it on his own when the door is open... I think it's more that I usually put them up before I leave the room to go do other things or to leave the house.

Scooter, on the other hand, has taken to putting himself away when I give verbal warning that it's time, about 80% of the time! But he's the one that sits in there and begs to come out if I'm in the room and the door is closed.

Ah, birds. Wish I knew what the inside of their heads was like. Subjectively, not anatomically...
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 7:56 pm

I'll have to think on a solution to your problem, but I'll only be able to do it after I quit giggling over this description!
ScooterNScotty wrote:
...the doe-eyed gaze while steadfastly either refusing to step up or offering used goodies as an alternative.
You have SUCH a way with words! vicki 5280

...mmmmm!!!! Hey Hot Momma! Instead of me going back in the cage, how 'bout I feed you some regurgitated beans and pellets??!!! Isn't that a MUCH better alternative??? Thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 pm

I guess i don't understand what the problem is ???Yes they have different personalities but deal with it and that's the way it is.Scotty just happy to be loved and your mate.Scooter is behaving,be thankful for that,LOL.They're allowed to say no in their own way,and know your going to win out in the end.Things are good if your the flock leader.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm with Capt. Sounds fine to me. It's like being annoyed with your kid who says, "Aw! Do I have to?", but they do what you ask anyway. The parent's just annoyed with the response, but the result is still the one that's desired.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 11:10 pm

I think that when you present the finger and ask him to step up, he takes that as just that: a request. You ask him if he would like to step up, and he decides he'd rather stay where he is.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be a problem to fix. Your scooping him up fixes the problem, because it's your way of saying to him "I'm not asking, I'm telling", and since he obeys it's not like he's willfully disobeying you. I don't think there's a way to retrain him to not give you dirty little looks when he's unhappy with the request. He'll always decide whether he wants to step up or not, whether or not he actually does it.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 am

OK, I'll stop worrying about it then! It is pretty funny, really. Vicki got it right on! Said creature is currrently on the chair back preening my hair... I'm going to look like Anne Burrell pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:02 am

Not that it matters at this point, but I agree with the above. Now that I'm out of giggle mode, when I read your post again I just couldn't find a problem to solve. Smile What a good problem to have!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:00 am

I guess I just have this idea that he should be more obedient. I know, I know, what planet am I from?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:21 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
I guess I just have this idea that he should be more obedient.
LMAO!! Good luck with that! No skin/blood loss - he is obedient. It's like asking a hubby to take the trash out. Grumbling or no grumbling, just be happy it's being done.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 2:35 pm

We have several birds like this and you have to use a forced step up. Basically hold out your perch finger at chest level and sweep. Given the choice of stepping up or being knocked off the perch, they will step up. Just don't stop at the chest if he resists, push through the motion otherwise you are letting him make the choice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you/would you handle passive resistence?   How do you/would you handle passive resistence? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you/would you handle passive resistence?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Training :: General & Trick Training-
Jump to: