Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?

Go down 
+3
GlassOnion
kaeladedah
Jan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

My Birds : Sputnik - Budgerigar

Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? Empty
PostSubject: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptySun May 22, 2011 5:22 pm

My sweet budgie has turned into a regurgitating, masturbating obsessive. He will be one next week. Is this a springtime phase, a young adult phase or will he stay like this?

He regurgitates for and masturbates on his favourite toy in his cage (thank goodness it's not on me). I know it's normal behaviour, but when does it turn from normal to obsession? He's been doing this for quite some time, and so I've taken his toy away on occasion. He looks for it for a while but then forgets about it, usually, but this time he flew around the apartment screaming for it for hours. He spends the entire day regurgitating and then is totally aggressive when food is involved. If he doesn't have his toy, then he doesn't masturbate but just regurgitates on a perch. He's covered in crusty guck.

What is good parronting? Do I keep the toy away, or let him have his fun? Today I've been trying to keep him occupied but it's tiring! But at least he's interacting with me more than if he had his toy.

Please help!!!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptySun May 22, 2011 5:26 pm

It's a spring time, young adult phase. It should happen twice a year from now on. You can decrease daylight hours to decrease the hormones and lower the temperature where he's housed. It helped my conure. My male budgie is only really interested in his female cagemate who wants no part of him, so I haven't had to deal with it with him.

In a month or so, your little guy should be back to normal.
Back to top Go down
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptySun May 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Oh thank god! Sooo good to hear.

I have been bad with putting him to bed on time lately too, which doesn't help - you're right.

But what about the toy? Do I continue to let him have his way with it, or am I right to take it away?
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptySun May 22, 2011 5:30 pm

I'd take it away. It sounds like he's getting a bit carried away with it. Once in a while is normal, so frequently isn't.
Back to top Go down
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptySun May 22, 2011 5:31 pm

Perfect. Thank you!! Smile
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptySun May 22, 2011 5:32 pm

Yeah.. I've heard some mixed opinions about this too. Some say to encourage the hormonal behaviours so they get it out of their system, while others say to discourage those at all costs. Try removing the toy and see what happens, he may forget about it soon.
Back to top Go down
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptySun May 22, 2011 5:36 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Try removing the toy and see what happens, he may forget about it soon.

LOL keep your fingers crossed! I'm trying to keep him pretty busy today: baths, training, playing, songs....
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptySun May 22, 2011 6:01 pm

..songs lol!
Back to top Go down
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptySun May 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Yeah, what we won't do for our FIDs, hey? Singing

He really digs my singing (more so than when I simply talk to him), even though I'm sure I could shatter glass with my voice. He gets his head right against my lips... if I dance around while I'm singing - he's in heaven!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:05 am

I'm pretty much in Kaylayuh's camp - remove the toy and discourage the hormonal behaviors. I'm about behavior management. I'm of the opinion that if the behavior is allowed to continue and it really, really bothers the human sooner or later the human will say, "Enough!" and get rid of the animal. Sometimes those hormonal behaviors manifest as screaming and biting and those are huge reasons people get rid of their birds. That's why I'm supportive of behavior management so you can interact and enjoy your pet and ultimately keep it.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:24 am

OMG I am so weak! Day #2 of Sputnik flying around contact calling his toy and I cave. 🇳🇴 Ug! Now I'll have to start all over again...
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Cheney Bird did this immediately after I brought him home. The rescue he came from said he never really liked toys before. Imagine my shock when he had deamed this new rope mop his girlfriend. I was horrified. I'd never seen a bird do something like that to anything!

Anyway, I emailed the rescue and was like.. what the heck is this bird doing? They said to take the toy away if it was becoming an issue. I took the toy away. They never told me he'd cry for the toy. I was even more horrified than I was when he had the toy. The sounds this bird made were something straight out of the Excorcist.

Instead of letting him scream like that, I figured I'd see what a shower did for him. Popped him in the shower with me and it was HEAVEN. He was so quiet. And I had peace for hours afterward. I'm sure he still wanted to toy, but once he got out of the shower he was too occupied preening to really care at the moment.

It may not work for every bird, but it's worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Rearrange the stuff in the cage. Maybe put "that" toy in such a manner it's in there but hard to "do" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). Move the cage to another location in the room/house. Sam is our hormonal boy here (tiel). I have cages and playstands all over the house so he ends up moving around the house on a regular basis. He's used to it so he's not upset by the constant change of scenery, but it sure takes him mind off "it".
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions you two!

Sputnik hates it when I rearrange his cage but I try to do it once a month and switch up his toys every couple of weeks. I've put his toy out on his playgym and not in his cage and so far he's not being too obsessed. I did give him 12 hours of quiet sleep time so maybe that's helping too. But I will definitely get him soaked and try a different cage location if things progress romantically. Wink

Yesterday to replace his toy I ended up finding him regurgitating & "playing" on my keys, on my bedroom lamp, on my nail clippers.... so maybe the lesser of two evils is that he has his special toy and leaves everything else alone! lol.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Jan wrote:
Yesterday to replace his toy I ended up finding him regurgitating & "playing" on my keys, on my bedroom lamp, on my nail clippers.... so maybe the lesser of two evils is that he has his special toy and leaves everything else alone! lol.

Haha, man alive, that boy needs a COLD shower!!! I apologize that I have NO suggestions... but I hope it works out for you!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Try having THREE horny birds!

Einstein has been trying to mate with my hand, while Bonnie has been trying to mate with Einstein, and poor Clyde is humping anything he can sit on!

It's like my own little soap opera.
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 8:45 am

zazanomore wrote:
Try having THREE horny birds!

Einstein has been trying to mate with my hand, while Bonnie has been trying to mate with Einstein, and poor Clyde is humping anything he can sit on!

It's like my own little soap opera.
Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? 3437489089 Yes I know it isn't funny but here is the thing...'tis the season....don't make it convient but don't remove it entirely they have to find a mate they are programed this way. The male Red Lored I rescued as well as the YN female are both in love with me UGH not another 2. Rolling Eyes
I am hoping the 2 new ones get out of it I have given up on Stacie her previous owner made her a wreck. I just "grin(not) and bear it" I know they are at pirme age and hope that they will find a prospect abong the singles instead of me. I realize with one bird you are IT but it will pass and life back to abnormal will return. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?   Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime? Empty

Back to top Go down

Annoying, Horny & Gross = Springtime?
Page 1 of 1