Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

excellent foraging idea

Go down 
+3
dusty
ScooterNScotty
idlepirate
7 posters
AuthorMessage
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

My Birds : Lorenzo - Blue Throat Conure

excellent foraging idea Empty
PostSubject: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 1:00 pm

I got this idea from a parrot clicker group while looking for new ideas to entertain Loro.
I bought all sorts of little crafty things and have been testing a few ideas out.
it took 10minutes or less to make and it's kept lorenzo occupied longer then any other toy I've bought. You need to be careful of the sharp edges, cut them as rounded off as you can and supervise. the bigger parrots will surely figure this out easily and probably just unscrew the bottle cap.
and from a website I tried a paper cup toy full of goodies, toys, treats, beads, colorful paper string shreddy things, straw...etc has got his attention and is easy to chew through for his size.
here's the 2 short video demonstrations I was able to make (loro hates me filming and usually stops doing whatever he's doing so I was lucky to catch this)

im sure you guys probably knew about this already, if so ignore my excitement Smile it's the first week I'm actually doing something and trying my own toys out. excellent foraging idea 932634153
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bluethroatconure?feature=mhee
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 1:59 pm

I love the plastic bottle idea for Scotty. He loves his almonds, but he prefers to brute force problems when he can!
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 pm

love the toys and love the vids...i am definately going to try the bottle

thanks
dusty
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:40 am

Yeah, i've done the bottle before. I do tend to worry about styrofoam. Worried they may swallow bits. I admit that fear may be completely unwarranted as there's no indication they'd swallow stryofoam over any other material.

Try putting food in cotton tube socks and tying it off. They seem to like that too.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:44 am

i am a little worried about the styrofoam as well, but like you say likely nothing to worry about...one question though...can they get too many peanuts?...mine love them

dusty
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 1:20 am

dusty wrote:
can they get too many peanuts?...mine love them

dusty
Technically - yes. Given the size of the animal, a couple of peanuts a day can be a lot. Any "good-for-you" food can be "bad" if it's over consumed. Pretty much nothing's "complete" (even pellets). So it always goes back to a variety of nutritious foods.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 1:34 am

thank you roz, it's the zons, grey and cockatoos that get peanuts, 2 or 3 a day

dusty
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 3:40 am

Cool ideas! Love the music in the second clip. Love Lorenzo's colours!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 8:47 am

Jake liked the music, but i don't think either of those containers would last more than a second or two.LOL Sure had Lorenzo going though.
Back to top Go down
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

My Birds : Lorenzo - Blue Throat Conure

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Loro's video's are traditionally with random music hehe:) I didn't have time to find a track to his bottle video- it was also a bit too short. Glad you enjoy it!

I don't think Loro is going to swallow any plastic, doesn't worry me unless you were really going to go out of your way and parrot proof absolutely everything. I don't even think he can chew through plastic but it's keeping him entertained to nibble through the holes:)

As for how many peanuts, hmmm usually he eats one a day but he wastes alot. From the forage bottle in 3 days he's only been able to eat half a peanut haha:) so it's working.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bluethroatconure?feature=mhee
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Another thing I've found that is great for this kind of thing and its safe is if you go to dollar stores or places like that and buy palm placemates and coasters. You can easily roll them into chewable tubes and tie ends together with sisel string. Some craft stores sell odd palm items like mini sunhats and things too that work. They also sell small wood and paper mache party favors, like little hat boxes and lidded trunks that are tiny that can work in the same way and are safe. I bought a bunch of the small wood boxes and drew on them with these cool markers I found that are fruit scented and made of non-toxic vegetable dyes. The smell drives the birds nuts and makes them want to get into the box even more. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: excellent foraging idea   excellent foraging idea Empty

Back to top Go down

excellent foraging idea
Page 1 of 1