Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ? by request

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ?  by request Empty
PostSubject: Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ? by request   Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ?  by request EmptyWed May 25, 2011 2:25 am

Why a Maroon Bellied Conure (MBC) instead of a GCC? By RogerP as requested by Roz/Patdbunny Thanks .

Before I get into the why I thought I would present a bit of information about the MBC and what distinguishes it from the GCC.

The Maroon Bellied conure is found in southeastern Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay and northern Argentina. They are smaller birds, approximately 9 to 10 inches in length. They are similar to the Green Cheek Conures and are often mistaken for each other. Maroon-bellied conures are primarily green and have a golden barring on the upper chest and neck (where the GCC is mostly grey) distinct heart-shaped maroon shading on the belly. The head is green instead of black, and the MBC has a small ring of Maroon feathers right above the cere. The flight feathers are blue and the tail is green on top with a dull maroon underneath. The beaks and feet are dark grey or black. Here is a comparison picture (hope it works):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50166378@N00/2226593369/

Now, as to why a Maroon Belly over something else. I began my research shortly after my cockatiel, Tucker, passed away at the age of three (not sure what happened). I tried not to get another bird, as they are not an inexpensive companion. However, I already had the cage and all the supplies, and could not live with walking past the empty cage. My wife is actually the one that told me to start looking, although we really could not afford a new bird at the time. But being the good husband I am, I do as I’m told Very Happy .

Given the cage that I had and the toys, I figured that I would stick to something that was roughly the same size as a Cockatiel. I also thought I was ready for a bigger challenge in a bird. That led me to looking into Conures. Of course I started with the “showier” Sun Conures and Jendays. However, research said they were loud. Now I know that is relative, but my wife thought that my Cockatiel was loud, so you see why this wouldn’t work. So that led me to the GCC. Everything seemed to fit, size was right, temperament seemed right, noise not too bad, and I could use all the equipment I already had to start.
Then it was on to stores and breeders to experience the birds (I looked at rescues but they were mostly too far away). Most breeders I contacted did not get back to me, or simply wanted to sell me a bird, not answer any introductory questions. One did respond, but she had recently decided to stop breeding GCC’s. She advised me about another breeder that had MBC’s, saying they were very similar. When I contacted the MBC breeder she was away in Quebec dealing with an ailing family member, and had sitters with all her birds. She did advise that she had one MBC from her last clutch that was still available, and put me in touch with a friend of hers that had bred both birds and had retired from breeding. That proved to be a stroke of good luck, as she answered all my questions on both breeds, and it was her that convinced me to look at MBC’s. I went to visit the one MBC left and that was it; I was hooked!

I think the thing that turned the tide for me was the feedback and experience that GCC’s are more “clingy” than MBC’s. Both are highly interactive (which I love), both are cuddly, but the MBC seems to be just as fine playing on their own. I have two active children, and while I spend time with Merlin every day, it is not always at the same time of day. I find that he is just as fine playing in his cage with his toys (and he is hilarious to watch). GCC’s seemed to me to be a little bossier than MBC’s as well, though both are large birds in small bodies (Napoleon complex Wink ).

In the end, though, clichéd as it might be, Merlin picked me, not the other way around, which is the way it should work, in my opinion.

Thus ends the longest post in my “career”. Hope it was not too boring for you all. For those of you that decide to read it all, thank you for your patience.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ? by request   Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ?  by request EmptyWed May 25, 2011 3:14 am

Are you joking? That is a good post, it's hard to find a good information about not that popular species. Thanks for your detailed post.
Merlin is very lucky as well as you, searching that long for GCC and then boom: MBC Thumbs-up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ? by request   Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ?  by request EmptyWed May 25, 2011 8:09 am

Great info! I agree, it is all about being picked!!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ? by request   Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ?  by request EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:23 am

I wasn't picked as much as suckered in by that cute little demon face.

I didn't know GCC's were thought to be clingy and MBC's were thought to be more independant. My GCC plays fine on his own, but also likes to cuddle.

Great story!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ? by request   Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ?  by request EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:34 am

hey roger good post,thanks for the story
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ? by request   Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ?  by request EmptyWed May 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Roger!
Thank you so much for that post! I had bred both the MBC and GCC for a couple of years in the past. Honestly, having never had either as a pet myself, I really didn't know there was any difference in temperament between the two.

Ha! Ha! Now that you've make a good, long post we'll be expecting more from you! Singing
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ? by request   Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ?  by request Empty

Back to top Go down

Why a Maroon Belly (or how Merlin came to live with me) ? by request
Page 1 of 1